Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

lwt11137

Reaction score
yes topping up gas only a gimmick use by technician to make some additional money.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes topping up gas only a gimmick use by technician to make some additional money.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Then how to ensure that during a gas check, they do not purposely try reduce the pressure 1st before showing us the reading on gauge?

petetherock

Reaction score
If your aircon behaves like that then you need to change one
There’s no barrier against dishonesty

wongminmin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, can I check what are the places you guys will recommend to buy aircon from?
Retailer such as Courts, Best Denki, Gain city or from air con contractor (seems cheaper).
GC got own dedicated team... courts is sub contractor.......
Hello!

Anybody using Panasonic Inverter, CU-3S27MKZ Outdoor Unit condenser. System 3 indoor unit CS-S9TKZW.

I always facing intermittent Auto Shutdown after 2-3hours of usage. Say middle of the night the aircon auto shutdown with Red Timer Light Blinking.

Remote Control Error Code 27.

And aircon Technician Replace Outdoor Unit Senor.
But problem still exist.

The Aircon is new Manufactured Date 2018.
Still very new and got so much problem.
Panasonic like very problematic.
Last time i also got bad experience with Panasonic wash machine.
Previous I use Toshiba and Mitsubishi totally zero problem and I enjoy it so much.

So now I am suspecting outdoor unit condenser PCB spoil.
Anybody is facing the same issue or problem?
Any advise?
And PCB Replacement Price anybody have any idea or advise?

Very much appreciate for the comments and help of the people here.
Thanks a million in advance!
what ur tech suggest? if he cannot find the root then get another experienced technician to diagnosis.
if aircon can run few hours before auto shutdown.....i doubt it is is pcb tho. auto shutdown is cut off power to prevent further damages to the aircon
Hi,
My condo is about 16 years old. Engaged a contractor to quote for aircon replacement.
He said that since the aircon is still cold, there may not be a need to replace the piping (as replacing the piping is a big hassle due to all the false ceiling).
Is this true that the piping may be able to last another 10-15 years?
Thanks.
hard to say.... some people use back old piping.... in the end leak.... change the whole system again. Not worth using back.
at least when ur aircon spoil, u can isolate gas pipe issue

not sure about gas piping.....
for water piping, residue will formed on the piping cause water leak from time to time. so more frequent servicing required.
Insulator will wear off.... causing condensation on your trucking and less cooling efficiency.

if ur piping is very long...best to re-do.

Anyone can recommend cheapest system 1 aircon with installation?
so far, europace system 1 is the cheapest....1k+...... during promos $800++
how often does one need to top up R32 gas ah ?
theoretical is no need top up. But people tend to check the gas pressure, so frequent top up required....like every few years or so. if got leak...every few months or so.

newbie3214

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just came back from Gain City and the uncle kept recommending Mitsubishi Heavy Industries System 3 (3 x 12000 BTU), so I got it. Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision, for based on what I read online, people usually get 2 X 9000 BTU and 1 X 12000BTU (master bedroom)? Would 3 x 12000 BTU consume more electricity?

My flat:

Master bedroom: About 18sqm
Bedrooms 1 & 2: About 14sqm

Could anyone please advice? Thanks!

Last edited:

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just came back from Gain City and the uncle kept recommending Mitsubishi Heavy Industries System 3 (3 x 12000 BTU), so I got it. Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong decision, for based on what I read online, people usually get 2 X 9000 BTU and 1 X 12000BTU (master bedroom)? Would 3 x 12000 BTU consume more electricity?

My flat:

Can your outdoor compressor support 36,000 BTU ?

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

My flat:

Higher commission for MHI. 9K BTU is sufficient for 14 sqm bedroom.

Sparcs

Reaction score
Anyone used G.Cool Engineering at Woodlands for installation before? Thanks!

XDeathLoRdz

Reaction score
Hi all!

My flat:

My family went gaincity last week and the sales person also pushy for this setup, so my family got it.
Awaiting for installation...

I initially want 9000btu for all 3 room now i got 12000, i was also wondering if it will consume more electricity

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My family went gaincity last week and the sales person also pushy for this setup, so my family got it.

I initially want 9000btu for all 3 room now i got 12000, i was also wondering if it will consume more electricity
It's like asking whether a bigger car use more petrol..

Sparcs

Reaction score

Below are what I have learned from far, and happy to be corrected by the more experienced folks here.

Noticed that for Gaincity, they tend to quote the higher BTU FCUs because the price differential between the different FCU sizes are quite marginal. From my own research so far (based on ME and Toshiba), it ranges between $40 - $50 per size upgrade per unit. ie. 12k BTU is approx $50 more than a 9k BTU. Whether this is right approach to just whack the largest FCU, I am not sure as there are different perspective.

I think reference back to the manufacturer's specs can determine what is the actual BTU output when units are simultaneously turned on, and if that is sufficient based on your expected typical usage. Using the SCM80YT-S compressor as example here, below is what is given in the brochure.

Rated cooling capacity if all 3 units are turned on:
3 x 9k units: 2.5kW = ~8,500 BTU
2 x 9k units + 1 x 12k unit: 9k unit = 9k @ 2.35kW (~8k BTU), 12k @ 3.29kW (~11.2k BTU)
3 x 12k units: 2.67kW = ~9,100 BTU

For electrical consumption difference, you can calculate based on the manufacturer's specs again. Following from the example above, rated input energy as below:

- 3 x 9k = 1,580 W
- 2 x 9k + 1 x 12k = 1,650 W
- 3 x 12k = 1,650 W

Based on above, clearly there is more electricity usage. If assume all 3 units are turned on 24hrs a day, an estimate of extra cost, assuming $0.30/kWh, on a yearly basis = (1650 - 1580)/1000 x 24 x 365 x 0.3 = ~$184

XDeathLoRdz

Reaction score
Below are what I have learned from far, and happy to be corrected by the more experienced folks here.

Noticed that for Gaincity, they tend to quote the higher BTU FCUs because the price differential between the different FCU sizes are quite marginal. From my own research so far (based on ME and Toshiba), it ranges between $40 - $50 per size upgrade per unit. ie. 12k BTU is approx $50 more than a 9k BTU. Whether this is right approach to just whack the largest FCU, I am not sure as there are different perspective.

I think reference back to the manufacturer's specs can determine what is the actual BTU output when units are simultaneously turned on, and if that is sufficient based on your expected typical usage. Using the SCM80YT-S compressor as example here, below is what is given in the brochure.

2 x 9k units + 1 x 12k unit: 9k unit = 9k @ 2.35kW (~8k BTU), 12k @ 3.29kW (~11.2k BTU)

For electrical consumption difference, you can calculate based on the manufacturer's specs again. Following from the example above, rated input energy as below:

- 3 x 9k = 1,580 W
- 3 x 12k = 1,650 W

Based on above, clearly there is more electricity usage. If assume all 3 units are turned on 24hrs a day, an estimate of extra cost, assuming $0.30/kWh, on a yearly basis = (1650 - 1580)/1000 x 24 x 365 x 0.3 = ~$184
Thanks Sparcs, this is a very helpful insights.

petetherock

Reaction score

- 3 x 9k = 1,580 W
- 3 x 12k = 1,650 W

Thanks, it's very useful indeed.
Bear in mind a few things:
- these calculations work well for HDB units. You may need a larger compressor for condos, which tend to have higher ceilings
- a bigger BTU unit is also needed if you have more people at home, eg if you entertain often. You won't want to wait half an hour for the room to cool and strain your compressor
- there are more units with lofts these days and again, the numbers will be different
- finally a larger compressor will work less hard than one which is undersized
- the difference in consumption is also less as we don't use it 24/7... most folks use it for a few hours at night
- lastly, if one lives near the top or faces a western direction, you may need a larger unit to cool down the home..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mitsubishi Electric vs Daikin

which easier to self-clean?

tc12345

Reaction score
Getting a 7 year resale condo and have kinda decided to change the air-con. Any reliable shop recommendation to assess whether should I change the piping as well?

petetherock

Reaction score
Typically if it's under 10 yrs, it should be ok. But any good aircon contractor should be able to do it if he is worth his salt. If he can't, you best avoid using him for the new aircons.

nncnfrmst

Reaction score
Planning to replace all aircons + compressors for my HDB flat reno and just found out that the aircon contractor used by my ID will not send any BCA-trained installers for the job. So we have decided not to use their contractor and to find our own. (Same for the electrical works, unfortunately.) Just posting here to warn others to check (if you are renovating a HDB flat).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.