Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the 4.5kw that's it's nominal rating?
I have also seen them provide a Min and Max range for the cooling capacity. For the NEA rating of MXY2G20VA2, they used a weighed COP of 5.6.
the 5.6COP is within its range provided for by the manufacturer. However not sure if the 5.6 cop is the same as the rating range given by manufacturer.
MXY2G20VA2 normal rating is 4.5kw (15,355 btu). COP (coefficient of performance) describe the heating and cooling efficiency of air conditioners ie the amount of BTU produced by the air-con using 1 watt of electricity per hour. The higher the COP the more energy efficient is the equipment. If you want energy efficiency, you should choose a 5-Tick energy efficient air-con.

Last edited:

CapsulePillSecurity

Reaction score
Anyone bought air con from Best Denki / Courts / Harvey Norman for resale condo?

Like to know how much extra did you all pay on top of those advertisement price (i.e. xtra trip, any other upfront or hidden cost?)

oxygen_j

Reaction score
I am using MXY4G38VA2 System 4 x 9000. Recently, I found out when aircons are switch on in the other room while the master bedroom is swtich off, the master bedroom fin is wet and there is some cool air when it is not switch on. Any advise if is the piping or valve issues?

JLT040507

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Would like to check if armaflex and aerofoam the same? My aircon guy said that aerofoam is the insulation material and armaflex is the branding? First time installing a spilt unit aircon.

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Would like to check if armaflex and aerofoam the same? My aircon guy said that aerofoam is the insulation material and armaflex is the branding? First time installing a spilt unit aircon.
Armaflex and Aerofoam are both brand names of aircon Insulation tubes.. don't get con.

JLT040507

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. May I know what is the recommended thickness of the insulation for the fan coil unit? Thanks. Is it 1/2” or 3/8”

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. May I know what is the recommended thickness of the insulation for the fan coil unit? Thanks. Is it 1/2” or 3/8”
Thicker is better, but also means larger trunkings which is ugly. My aircon system is using 1/2" thick amaflex insulation.

baseline

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice. Which brand should I choose for my small living room? Both are 24k

1. Mitsubishi electric R410a 24k system 1
MUY GN24VA
MSY GN24VA

2. Daikin R32 24k system 1
RKM71PVMG
FTKS71PVM

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I need some advice. Which brand should I choose for my small living room? Both are 24k

MUY GN24VA
MSY GN24VA

RKM71PVMG
FTKS71PVM
daikin because of its r32.

JLT040507

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thicker is better, but also means larger trunkings which is ugly. My aircon system is using 1/2" thick amaflex insulation.
I see. Are there any contractor who does the installation inside the trunking is 1/2” and the portion connecting to the fcu will be 3/8”? The contractor are telling me that if the refrigerant pipe connecting to the fcu uses 1/2” insulation, there will be a gap???

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. Are there any contractor who does the installation inside the trunking is 1/2” and the portion connecting to the fcu will be 3/8”? The contractor are telling me that if the refrigerant pipe connecting to the fcu uses 1/2” insulation, there will be a gap???
Aircon pipe cannot anyhow increase or decrease pipe diameter. For refrigerant natural properties, the higher the pressure, the higher the temperature of the gas. By going smaller from 1/2" to 3/8" at FCU, u r increasing the pressure of the gas which will increase its temp. FCU is supposed to receive cool liquid refrigerant so that it can absorb heat from the room to change into warm gas to the compressor as part of cycle. At the same time, the inner fan will push the coolness out of tube and into the room. If FCU inlet gas is alrdy warm, then it will not cool the room effectively.

Besides, there is an expansion valve before the FCU to increase its pipe diameter to reduce pressure and thus reduce its temp.

Maybe u can find another AC contractor for his opinion?

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MUY GN24VA
MSY GN24VA

RKM71PVMG
FTKS71PVM
Choose the one which your budget is comfortable with. No one would be able to know whether the cool air from your aircon is coming from R410a or R32 aircon refrigerant.

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on the workmanship skills. When the installer did the insulation for my system, he could fit the insulation when the copper pipe bends 90d without any gaps.

Aircon pipe cannot anyhow increase or decrease pipe diameter. For refrigerant natural properties, the higher the pressure, the higher the temperature of the gas. By going smaller from 1/2" to 3/8" at FCU, u r increasing the pressure of the gas which will increase its temp. FCU is supposed to receive cool liquid refrigerant so that it can absorb heat from the room to change into warm gas to the compressor as part of cycle. At the same time, the inner fan will push the coolness out of tube and into the room. If FCU inlet gas is alrdy warm, then it will not cool the room effectively.

Besides, there is an expansion valve before the FCU to increase its pipe diameter to reduce pressure and thus reduce its temp.

Maybe u can find another AC contractor for his opinion?
I think you do not know what is the thickness of the insulation for, it is to prevent condensation (aka sweating). It has nothing to do with the thickness of the copper pipes.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on the workmanship skills. When the installer did the insulation for my system, he could fit the insulation when the copper pipe bends 90d without any gaps.

I think you do not know what is the thickness of the insulation for, it is to prevent condensation (aka sweating). It has nothing to do with the thickness of the copper pipes.
Ouh i tot he want reduce pipe to 3/8" for his fcu. lol. ACtually i thought most if nt all gives 1/2" insulation. gt ppl offer 3/8"?

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ouh i tot he want reduce pipe to 3/8" for his fcu. lol. ACtually i thought most if nt all gives 1/2" insulation. gt ppl offer 3/8"?
I ever once been to my friend's home, his aircon trunking was dripping water from the condensation. I guess the insulation thickness was thin, should be a 3/8". So don't skim on the quality, it may end up costing more than just money, it also create trouble and time trying to fix it.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Anyone knows what could be causing mildew smell from on of my units?

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you done chemical overhaul on the FCU? Chances are mold or bacteria growing on the blower blades or drain pan.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows what could be causing mildew smell from on of my units?
prolonged condensation on the fins which then results in mold and bacteria growth, hence the smell. to reduce this, turn on the mold proof setting if your aircon has it (AFAIK some Daikin models have this), and do not air the room immediately after turning off the aircon (this prevents higher humidity outside air from entering and condensing on on the cold fins of the aircon that was just turned off).

Vulpix

Reaction score
Have you done chemical overhaul on the FCU? Chances are mold or bacteria growing on the blower blades or drain pan.
Nope never done before. For some reason only 1 of my unit got this smell, the other 3 units don't have this weird smell.
prolonged condensation on the fins which then results in mold and bacteria growth, hence the smell. to reduce this, turn on the mold proof setting if your aircon has it (AFAIK some Daikin models have this), and do not air the room immediately after turning off the aircon (this prevents higher humidity outside air from entering and condensing on on the cold fins of the aircon that was just turned off).
I don't see such a setting on my mitsubishi electric, what a good way to simulate something like this? I can control via my smart home remote, is it some sort of dry mode?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.