Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

wongminmin

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it true tht Mitsubishi Starmex 5ticks condenser unit got pcb issue for a new unit like 1yr later?
this was 1 of my consideration when buying....
should be batch issue...see luck ba. i ask the technician also no said got this issue.
if really that bad, people already flip flop liao.

if super unlucky, 1 year die
if unlucky, 5 years die
if lucky, 8 years without issues
if super lucky, beyond 10 years....... praying :)

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
this was 1 of my consideration when buying....
should be batch issue...see luck ba. i ask the technician also no said got this issue.
if really that bad, people already flip flop liao.

if super unlucky, 1 year die
if unlucky, 5 years die
if lucky, 8 years without issues
if super lucky, beyond 10 years....... praying :)
1yr gg it worst thn tv ahha tv at least 3yr will gg

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which system 3 can do 9K+9k+9k comfortably?
Are gas R410 and R32 using the same pipe? If you install for R410 can the pipe be reused for R32?

catwhisperer

Reaction score
Assuming the same outside unit, is it better to use 1 18k btu fancoil or 2 9k btu fancoil units for a living room? To be paired with another 9k btu fancoil unit for another room (i.e. to go with System 2 or System 3)?

petetherock

Reaction score
If it’s a wide room
Two blowers will be better
But my single 24k can cover my 6 by 6 room fine.
likewise I’m using a 18k unit in a 4 by 3.8 room and it cools quickly and quietly
The power matters too.

catwhisperer

Reaction score
If it’s a wide room
Two blowers will be better
But my single 24k can cover my 6 by 6 room fine.
likewise I’m using a 18k unit in a 4 by 3.8 room and it cools quickly and quietly
The power matters too.
Thank you for your reply.

Today my ID brought her usual Aircon guy and he advised that for the living and dining room with poor insulation (ziptrack on one end), about 5*5m, to install a 18k and 12k btu unit. I was thinking that was quite excessive, using a btu calculator factoring in the poor insulation and our hot temp, I thought 18-24k was max. He said 2x 12k definitely not recommended.

Similar, for our bedroom of about 13sqm, he advised 18k. He said higher btu better as we never know when we need the extra capacity but I thought too high wouldn't be good also. I was actually thinking 12k would be more than enough.

Any advice, or should I go look for another Aircon guy 🥴

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

Today my ID brought her usual Aircon guy and he advised that for the living and dining room with poor insulation (ziptrack on one end), about 5*5m, to install a 18k and 12k btu unit. I was thinking that was quite excessive, using a btu calculator factoring in the poor insulation and our hot temp, I thought 18-24k was max. He said 2x 12k definitely not recommended.

Similar, for our bedroom of about 13sqm, he advised 18k. He said higher btu better as we never know when we need the extra capacity but I thought too high wouldn't be good also. I was actually thinking 12k would be more than enough.

Any advice, or should I go look for another Aircon guy 🥴
He only advise about btu of indoor units for the rooms, how about the btu of the outdoor unit then ?

catwhisperer

Reaction score
He only advise about btu of indoor units for the rooms, how about the btu of the outdoor unit then ?
In the end his quote for supply and install (3/4" armaflex and 4C40 wire) was:

MKS80TVMG + CTKS50MG (master BR 18K BTU) + CTKS35TVMG (dining 12K BTU)+ CTKS25TVMG (maid's room 9K BTU) = $5.7k

MKS80TVMG + CTKS50MG (living 18K BTU) + CTKS35TVMG (2 common bedrooms 12k BTU) X2 = $5.75k

MKS80TVMG is around 36k BTU I believe?

i think the quote is way overpriced, am I right? These are not even R32 models. The common bedrooms are each about 5-6 SQM so I felt 12k BTU was not necessary.

petetherock

Reaction score

MKS80TVMG + CTKS50MG (master BR 18K BTU) + CTKS35TVMG (dining 12K BTU)+ CTKS25TVMG (maid's room 9K BTU) = $5.7k

MKS80TVMG + CTKS50MG (living 18K BTU) + CTKS35TVMG (2 common bedrooms 12k BTU) X2 = $5.75k

i think the quote is way overpriced, am I right? These are not even R32 models. The common bedrooms are each about 5-6 SQM so I felt 12k BTU was not necessary.
I think you've already made up your mind, you're just hoping that bros here will endorse your decision to go small...
Just don't switch on all of them at the same time and make sure there aren't too many people in each room generating heat then..

catwhisperer

Reaction score
I think you've already made up your mind, you're just hoping that bros here will endorse your decision to go small...
Just don't switch on all of them at the same time and make sure there aren't too many people in each room generating heat then..
Oh was I wrong? I used BTU calculators and also referred to some guides on appropriate sizing for rooms, 9k BTU should be more than enough for a bedroom of about 5-6sqm, while 18k BTU should be enough for a living and dining of 25sqm. I understand the rationale for the larger compressor / outdoor unit the better, but should I be upsizing for the rooms also?

GBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

MKS80TVMG normal rating is 25,200 BTU (7.4 kw). If you have already done your computation for the required BTU for each rooms, just go along with it as you are not wrong. Just make sure that your outdoor compressor unit btu capacity is able to support all your indoor units btu requirements.

Last edited:

catwhisperer

Reaction score
MKS80TVMG normal rating is 25,200 BTU (7.4 kw). If you have already done your computation for the required BTU for each rooms, just go along with it as you are not wrong. Just make sure that your outdoor compressor unit btu capacity is able to support all your indoor units btu requirements.
Thank you!

lahgal

Reaction score
Which system 3 can do 9K+9k+9k comfortably?
Are gas R410 and R32 using the same pipe? If you install for R410 can the pipe be reused for R32?
Hi I have bought FN series and piping works already completed, is it advisable to change to FP series. Does the piping match with FP series. Thanks

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, any review or comments on the Black LG aircon (Artcool+). Like the black color but slightly doubtful on the reliability of LG air-conditioning system. Will Panasonic or Mitsubishi be a better choice by miles?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, any review or comments on the Black LG aircon (Artcool+). Like the black color but slightly doubtful on the reliability of LG air-conditioning system. Will Panasonic or Mitsubishi be a better choice by miles?
Starmex will be better in terms of services costs and effort.

LG be expected to pay higher servicing. Reliability wise, i think is more on luck and lemon.

Reaction score
Starmex will be better in terms of services costs and effort.

LG be expected to pay higher servicing. Reliability wise, i think is more on luck and lemon.
What other brands do you recommend? A lot contractor told me starmex stocks running low.

I thinking if really no starmex, I might have to go Toshiba/Daikin/Panasonic/Hitachi

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.