Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

Dashie

Reaction score
Any recommendation for a general System 1 aircon brand/model? would like to replace mine in just one room

Daryl_T

Reaction score
Hi all, my Daikin aircon is almost 25 years and I’m thinking of changing to a new system 3, any recommendations and hopefully one that can prevent sinus? Thank you!

weitinq

Reaction score
18+9k = 27k
exceed the 25k btu already. You will still feel a sense of cool breeze in your room. And depending on the time of the day, it could still be cold. However, on very hot days, this will not hold true. In addition, it’s not just a matter of whether you room will be cooled. If your Aircon BTU is insufficient, it will cause the compressor to keep running, as the thermistor will indicate that it’s not sufficiently cooled yet. This will cause huge wastages in your electricity consumption and cause insanely high electricity bills. Hence, it will be better if you err on the side of caution and choose higher BTU.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
18+9k = 27k
exceed the 25k btu already. You will still feel a sense of cool breeze in your room. And depending on the time of the day, it could still be cold. However, on very hot days, this will not hold true. In addition, it’s not just a matter of whether you room will be cooled. If your Aircon BTU is insufficient, it will cause the compressor to keep running, as the thermistor will indicate that it’s not sufficiently cooled yet. This will cause huge wastages in your electricity consumption and cause insanely high electricity bills. Hence, it will be better if you err on the side of caution and choose higher BTU.
actually how BTU works?

when you blow at 16degrees max fan speed then use it up?

how about people setting it at 25 degrees 2 fan speed? Does the BTU use up the same way as how it was calculated?

weitinq

Reaction score

weitinq

Reaction score
Did not answer my question leh.
I answered how btu works ah. it depends on how cool you want your room to be ah.
16degrees max fan speed = energy use is faster and more to cool the room compared to 25 degrees 2 fan speed

if your unit is 9k btu, it has that amt of energy to cool the room lor.

so if you have 18k + 2 of 9k units, you need a min 36k compressor to supply enough energy for all 3 units to have sufficient energy to let the 3 units to have their max energy to cool your rooms.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so if you have 18k + 2 of 9k units, you need a min 36k compressor to supply enough energy for all 3 units to have sufficient energy to let the 3 units to have their max energy to cool your rooms.
even if you did not set them at 16 degrees?

weitinq

Reaction score
even if you did not set them at 16 degrees?
actually base line is, if you dont wanna face the problem of room not cool enough during hot days, get a sufficient btu compressor. if you wanna get 25k btu compressor, then dont on the 18+9k together.

if you wanna go too in depth on how btu works, suggest to read up google search through multiple articles. That's what I do when I'm prepping for my new home now also.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually base line is, if you dont wanna face the problem of room not cool enough during hot days, get a sufficient btu compressor. if you wanna get 25k btu compressor, then dont on the 18+9k together.

if you wanna go too in depth on how btu works, suggest to read up google search through multiple articles. That's what I do when I'm prepping for my new home now also.
ok thanks.

Darwinson

Banned
Reaction score
18+9k = 27k
Wow sis .you are expert in air con selections also.
Which aircon are you considering for your new flat. Any recommendation? I am intending to use system 5 for 1300sqft hdb.

weitinq

Reaction score
Wow sis .you are expert in air con selections also.
Which aircon are you considering for your new flat. Any recommendation? I am intending to use system 5 for 1300sqft hdb.
No expert la. Just read up when googling hahahah
Mine is 1274sqft hdb also. Intending to get mitsubishi starmex 3x9k for the bedrooms + 1x18k for living room
My living room is about 450sqft so 18k is more than sufficient liao

initially wanted mitsubishi heavy industrial but the aircon guy suggested that this model requires different kind of servicing which may cost more. so yea, this part i never research listened to the expert.

Darwinson

Banned
Reaction score
Mine is 1274sqft hdb also. Intending to get mitsubishi starmex 3x9k for the bedrooms + 1x18k for living room

initially wanted mitsubishi heavy industrial but the aircon guy suggested that this model requires different kind of servicing which may cost more. so yea, this part i never research listened to the expert.
Oh. Similar house size. I can use your reference.

I think my hall area has been partitioned into living room(300sqft) and a study area (150 sqft). I thought of using 2 aircon for the hall with one for study area.

do you think 18k btu air con unit should be suffient for both area?

I will try to read about Mitsubishi Starmex series. Earlier I was leaning towards daikin.

weitinq

Reaction score
Oh. Similar house size. I can use your reference.

I think my hall area has been partitioned into living room(300sqft) and a study area (150 sqft). I thought of using 2 aircon for the hall with one for study area.

do you think 18k btu air con unit should be suffient for both area?

I will try to read about Mitsubishi Starmex series. Earlier I was leaning towards daikin.

If you are not separating the 2 areas with doors or whatsoever, 18k btu shld be enough.
take length x width (in sqft) then multiply by 25 = amt of btu required --- that's what i read via googling also la hahahaa

I got multiple quotes Daikin seems to be more expensive so didn't consider abt Daikin though

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I believe you got con by the aircon guy already. Regular aircon servicing is on a per unit basis, not dependent on brand of aircon.

alphaex

Reaction score
Hello, I am in abit of a dilemma. My current System 3 unit is MHI bought around 2015. But because I stay top floor and facing west somemore, the condensation quite bad on the piping. Regular general servicing by aircon techs, majority of the techs say my piping is already in bad condition and I get cold air but you will still perspire type. I am unsure if I should change the whole system or just replace piping. If change whole system, I am considering also a System 4 to put one in the living room to just cool the air and not make it cold.

Quoted around $4K for full overhaul across various vendors. Looking at Daikin or Starmex. Any thoughts? Thank you! :)

weitinq

Reaction score
I also don't know leh didn't research on that part.

But then again, I don't quite like the mitsubishi heavy industrial de exterior design so never consider that also.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.