Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also don't know leh didn't research on that part.

But then again, I don't quite like the mitsubishi heavy industrial de exterior design so never consider that also.
MHI is cheap but reliability and condensation not there. problematic.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MHI is cheap but reliability and condensation not there. problematic.
MHI may be cheaper than either ME or Daikin, but is the warranty on their aircon systems inferior to those of the other 2 ? Also I read from this thread that MHI, ME and Daikin aircon system all give problems as well.. mostly I believe to be the results of poor worksmanship in aircon installation. There are even some whose MHI system are more than 10 years old and still working. ME and daikin system could be more popular because of the amount of money they spend on advertising..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MHI may be cheaper than either ME or Daikin, but is the warranty on their aircon systems inferior to those of the other 2 ? Also I read from this thread that MHI, ME and Daikin aircon system all give problems as well.. mostly I believe to be the results of poor worksmanship in aircon installation. There are even some whose MHI system are more than 10 years old and still working. ME and daikin system could be more popular because of the amount of money they spend on advertising..
in my opinion, i can give you cheap with a forever warranty but if it keeps breaking down it is disruptive to anyone.

Starmex and Daikin may be expensive and you can easily access the pool of 3rd party technicians outside to service it. I don't know if that will be the same for MHI. If they aren't you will end up with big-ticket repair costs though AD because warranty how long also will end then it will be your pockets that hurt.

Last edited:

NoLogicLah

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mitsubishi starmex 2 ticks or 5 ticks?
Hearsay 5 ticks more problems and takes longer to cool.

im using the first series FJ 5 tick series which alot of pple say got “issue” which was subsequently replaced by FN series. No issue since installation from 2017.

Ordered FN series from gaincity for my new bto but called up gain city to say I want to change to FP R32 model which are coming in Aug. So im going to be first batch users. Got extended warranty from GC to cover any potential issues that may surface for the new model

Cobra!

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sure lucrative.
But, the problem is many of them are not honest and unskillful.
I engaged couple of them and got fed up.
Now, I do on my own, even topping up gas.
Any tips on self topping up gas like where to get gauge and tank?

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im using the first series FJ 5 tick series which alot of pple say got “issue” which was subsequently replaced by FN series. No issue since installation from 2017.

Ordered FN series from gaincity for my new bto but called up gain city to say I want to change to FP R32 model which are coming in Aug. So im going to be first batch users. Got extended warranty from GC to cover any potential issues that may surface for the new model
2 ticks 5 ticks is the blower system only? Not both blower and compressor?

You mean 5 ticks got new model FP?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Gain city not cheap but if warranty is a concern, I will go there too.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yours is FJ or FN model?
Does it take long for the cold air to "appear"?
mine? MSY-GE13VA.

used to be 4* ticks.. now dropped, i just realized. i still have the sticker with me.. indicating 5 ticks. LOL Really old goods cannot. NEA will change rating every now and then.

FP and MXYxxxxVG is the latest model which uses R32 gas. you will need both the compressor and blower to be the same. I haven't come across anyone selling mix so I believe it has to be the same.

Last edited:

Cookie Muncher

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mine? MSY-GE13VA.

used to be 5 ticks.. now dropped, i just realized. i still have the sticker with me.. indicating 5 ticks. LOL Really old goods cannot. NEA will change rating every now and then.

FP and MXYxxxxVG is the latest model which uses R32 gas. you will need both the compressor and blower to be the same. I haven't come across anyone selling mix so I believe it has to be the same.
For what i know Msy-ge is 2 ticks since 2016.

So the 5 ticks systems are FJ -> FN -> FP?
Since FP is very new, v hard to say how "safe" it is? Like duno how problematic it might be

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For what i know Msy-ge is 2 ticks since 2016.

So the 5 ticks systems are FJ -> FN -> FP?
Since FP is very new, v hard to say how "safe" it is? Like duno how problematic it might be
my aircon longer than 2016. Otherwise is tio tua. Anyway I research more than what I did in the past. Previously just let people chop

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am in abit of a dilemma. My current System 3 unit is MHI bought around 2015. But because I stay top floor and facing west somemore, the condensation quite bad on the piping. Regular general servicing by aircon techs, majority of the techs say my piping is already in bad condition and I get cold air but you will still perspire type. I am unsure if I should change the whole system or just replace piping. If change whole system, I am considering also a System 4 to put one in the living room to just cool the air and not make it cold.

Quoted around $4K for full overhaul across various vendors. Looking at Daikin or Starmex. Any thoughts? Thank you! :)
From the description of the problem you face, the likely cause is poor insulation used on the aircon piping which lead to the condensation problem. Replacing new aircon piping is a messy affair.

But if your intention is to get a system 4 in order to have a indoor unit in your living room, then it's a good time to change to a total new system 4 aircon system. Just make sure to get a aircon contractor that can do a proper installation job. If you are kiasu, you can also ask the aircon contractor to use thicker insulation (eg 1/2 inch or even 3/4 inch thickness Amaflex) which will also lead to larger trunkings as well.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in my opinion, i can give you cheap with a forever warranty but if it keeps breaking down it is disruptive to anyone.

Starmex and Daikin may be expensive and you can easily access the pool of 3rd party technicians outside to service it. I don't know if that will be the same for MHI. If they aren't you will end up with big-ticket repair costs though AD because warranty how long also will end then it will be your pockets that hurt.
So in your opinion, are you saying that MHI aircon is cheap, give a forever warranty, keep on breaking down and the AD don't carry spare parts for it ?

How much do you actually know about MHI as a company ? I google the company before, it says that MHI is an extremely large company in Japan dealing in ship building, building advance fighter aircraft for the Japanese air force and building nuclear power plants etc. Would such a large company spoil it's own reputation selling you a cheap and lousy aircon ?

People pay more for Starmex and Daikin because they think that by paying more, their aircon system will last and won't break down. You think they really care about being able to access a large pool of 3rd party technicians and spare parts. Personally I don't believe that original spare parts from either MHI, Starmex and Daikin are cheap to begin with. Let's say the aircon compressor breaks down during the 5 year warranty period, you will still need to pay a bomb for the labour cost in replacing the compressor irrespective of whether you are using MHI, Starmex or Daikin. In most cases, labour cost costs more than the replacement spare part itself. People's mentality is cheaper is better and when it comes to repairs, they may even end up with non original parts.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So in your opinion, are you saying that MHI aircon is cheap, give a forever warranty, keep on breaking down and the AD don't carry spare parts for it ?

How much do you actually know about MHI as a company ? I google the company before, it says that MHI is an extremely large company in Japan dealing in ship building, building advance fighter aircraft for the Japanese air force and building nuclear power plants etc. Would such a large company spoil it's own reputation selling you a cheap and lousy aircon ?

People pay more for Starmex and Daikin because they think that by paying more, their aircon system will last and won't break down. You think they really care about being able to access a large pool of 3rd party technicians and spare parts. Personally I don't believe that original spare parts from either MHI, Starmex and Daikin are cheap to begin with. Let's say the aircon compressor breaks down during the 5 year warranty period, you will still need to pay a bomb for the labour cost in replacing the compressor irrespective of whether you are using MHI, Starmex or Daikin. In most cases, labour cost costs more than the replacement spare part itself. People's mentality is cheaper is better and when it comes to repairs, they may even end up with non original parts.
I think you got me wrong.

AD definitely carry spare parts. The costs to replace and the labour costs through AD are definitely more expensive than third party installers and that is where I stand. Aircon servicing will be slightly more expensive too. If you drive, you will get what I meant.

Reliability wise, go to sg reno talk or reno forums you will see people facing similar issues with MHI. I am not discounting the fact that both Starmex and Daikin doesn't have their own issues, they do too. Most people around me use Starmex so my knowledge on reliability is probably biased too. Daikin, I have read a lot on reliability issues too but not 1 for the iSmile Eco series yet.

Boeing is huge but they still make planes that crash. Just saying.

Ultimately the money and choice are yours. If you believe MHI can do wonders for you, I am not stopping you.

Last edited:

Darwinson

Banned
Reaction score
The answer seem No. It seems hdb do not allow owners to install appliances that consume more than 20amps even though you have 40amp supply. Maybe you want to ask around or ask hdb.
I just checked my house mcb. Got a few switch with 16a rating. The last switch was white color and 20a. Is it for heater ?

i checked under hdb website my resale block got ‘higher electrical loading available ‘. Does that mean 20a or 40a ?

as such is it economical to use town gas for heater or electrical water heater. I like town gas. Present house no heater.

planning sys5 aircon and water heater at new place

Darwinson

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting video, seems like inverter aircons don't do too well in humid climates like ours and probably why most of the stuff these days only have such short lifespans.
Interesting video.

so what are the non invertor aircon options ? With fewer electrical parts?

what’s the preferred and popular air con model at seaside humid cities? Anyway in today’s context if thing work 5 years it’s considered success right

xyz890

Reaction score
any recommend or review for Midea All Easy Pro? very easy to clean and wifi smart control

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.