Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

petetherock

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having a slightly higher BTU aircon system then required. The BTU calculator is only a guide to compute how much BTU you need for a given area. But so far the trend here is alot of people has higher BTU indoor units than what their outdoor compressor unit can support.
Yep, saving on the compressor for short term savings..

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with having a slightly higher BTU aircon system then required. The BTU calculator is only a guide to compute how much BTU you need for a given area. But so far the trend here is alot of people has higher BTU indoor units than what their outdoor compressor unit can support.

Yep, saving on the compressor for short term savings..
Agree with both too

baileysGirl

Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the response and advice. Mine is a 4 room HDB. Other than Mitsubishi which has a 38k BTU compressor, any other brands which has a larger compressor that can support my indoor units?

Gaincity recommended that I take 2 compressors, 1 for master bedroom, and the other compressor for Living room and 2 common rooms. 🌻🌻

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the response and advice. Mine is a 4 room HDB. Other than Mitsubishi which has a 38k BTU compressor, any other brands which has a larger compressor that can support my indoor units?

Gaincity recommended that I take 2 compressors, 1 for master bedroom, and the other compressor for Living room and 2 common rooms. 🌻🌻
Mitsubishi MXY-4G38VA2 normal rating is only 7.4kw (25,200 BTU) and MXY-5G48VA2 normal rating is 9.2kw (31,392 BTU).

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
Wish to ask the experts here.
Back in the day for those non inverter systems, was it this detailed and involved to choose an Aircon system as compared to now? Because I remember in the late 90s we went shopping for a system 2 for our new Hdb 4 roomer at GC. We were just asked for our budget and presented with Fujitsu, Daikin and something else which I don't remember and choice of 9k or 12k system 2 options nothing about needing to mix and match different FCUs with outdoor units. So is it because non inverter Aircon system is somehow different from inverter systems? Currently we are in our resale flat which has Daikin inverter from the previous homeowner. Soon we will be changing this Daikin inverter hence have been reading this thread. Thanks experts.

baileysGirl

Reaction score
Mitsubishi MXY-4G38VA2 normal rating is only 7.4kw (25,200 BTU) and MXY-5G48VA2 normal rating is 9.2kw (31,392 BTU).
Thank you for sharing that information.

What would be recommended if I'm looking at living room (18 - 24kBTU) + 12k BTU master bedroom + 9k BTU x 2 common room?

I'm open to having 2 compressors - what about Mitsubishi system 1 + system 3?

Thank you once again! 🌻

Last edited:

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that information.

What would be recommended if I'm looking at living room (18 - 24kBTU) + 12k BTU master bedroom + 9k BTU x 2 common room?

I'm open to having 2 compressors - what about Mitsubishi system 1 + system 3?

Thank you once again! 🌻
What's the size of your rooms and what's your aircon usage like (eg, on all rooms aircon at the same time or only 2 bedrooms aircon at the same time etc) ? Also not all HDB flats can take 2 aircon outdoor compressor units.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
Remember to factor in guests...
If you entertain a lot, a larger unit is needed.
A 9K unit in a small bedroom looks ok on paper.. but if you are running a bitcoin farm, or have bible study mates over, then it will be woefully inadequate..
Eg, my 24k System One looks overkill on paper for my dining / kitchen area. But I often have guests over (pre-covid anyway) and it's just nice to keep everyone happy..

xuexue12

Reaction score
Hi all, honestly impressed with the passion/patience the aircon experts have..

1. I know it might just down to preference and opinion. However, can I check if its better to use Starmex Single Split System MSY-GN10VA/MUY-GN10VA or MSY-GN13VA/MUY-GN13VA for master bedroom? My masterbedroom doesn't get sunlight at all, the aircon ledge doesn't get sun too.
  2. Starmex Single Split System MSY-GN10VA/MUY-GN10VA has 5 ticks and MSY-GN13VA/MUY-GN13VA has 3 ticks. Is the electrical saving really be a lot?

New HDB, so small master bedroom, and electrical loading of 40amps main switch, if that makes a difference?

xiexie!

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. I know it might just down to preference and opinion. However, can I check if its better to use Starmex Single Split System MSY-GN10VA/MUY-GN10VA or MSY-GN13VA/MUY-GN13VA for master bedroom? My masterbedroom doesn't get sunlight at all, the aircon ledge doesn't get sun too.
  2. Starmex Single Split System MSY-GN10VA/MUY-GN10VA has 5 ticks and MSY-GN13VA/MUY-GN13VA has 3 ticks. Is the electrical saving really be a lot?

New HDB, so small master bedroom, and electrical loading of 40amps main switch, if that makes a difference?

xiexie!
2. significant enough.

mkaung2000

Reaction score

xiexie!
I will choose bigger one. Efficiency will drop when it gets old and dirty.

yeye123123

Reaction score
MXY3G28VA broke down after 3 years of light usage.. zz

Circuit trip every time we switched it on.. was told by the aircon guy the PCB burnt until black liao.

Any advice? To repair or replace the whole system?

Was told they might have a 2nd hand unit.

GBC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A bit of planning could have prevented these snafus... knowing the size of the compressors, his ID should have spotted the issue with the windows for example...
I doubt the ID would have spotted the issue with the window. ID would just outsource the aircon installation to their preferred aircon contractor and do a markup on their aircon contractor's bill. If this aircon contractor could even missed out something so basic as the window issue during the initial survey of the HDB flat, I would avoid this aircon contractor at all cost.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I doubt the ID would have spotted the issue with the window. ID would just outsource the aircon installation to their preferred aircon contractor and do a markup on their aircon contractor's bill. If this aircon contractor could even missed out something so basic as the window issue during the initial survey of the HDB flat, I would avoid this aircon contractor at all cost.
i would avoid both, an ID worth his or her salt should readily know of the potential issues of aircon limitations in a HDB, this is not an unusual scenario.

petetherock

Reaction score
Yep, no attention to detail.. placing an aircon in a HDB flat is a fairly common renovation addition..

stonesix

Reaction score
Are you guys waiting for R32 or just use R410 which would be phased out soon?
And is that tru we need to wait for R32 due to no stock?

stonesix

Reaction score
I too facing ugly aircon trunking layout by installer though tits all common BTO, and most aircon place a the same place like, yet they cock up and blame me I'm OK with it ....but what do I know about aircon trunking.
I just follow their recommendation, yet ID saying they not follow his instruction.
End up i am the one paying for all their fault.

ID thought Aircon guys would know, and aircon guys thought owner would inform them, and owner thought ID should know...this is common when too much assumption made....

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you guys waiting for R32 or just use R410 which would be phased out soon?
And is that tru we need to wait for R32 due to no stock?
Got a lot of brands have stocks with R32.

Having said that, R410 is fine and wont phase out so soon in terms of serviceability (at least another 10-20years)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.