Air conditioning - Any recommendations please?? - Part 2

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has discuss before. thread too long. I wanna ask is it true that replacing Condo aircon is much more ex? like a couple thousands more?

I planning to replace the old EC air con unit when i do renovation soon, if we do not need replace fall ceiling, it should be around the same price as hdb assume?

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has discuss before. thread too long. I wanna ask is it true that replacing Condo aircon is much more ex? like a couple thousands more?

I planning to replace the old EC air con unit when i do renovation soon, if we do not need replace fall ceiling, it should be around the same price as hdb assume?
no money don't stay condo.

stay condo be willing to pay.
Usually why condos are more expensive because of the need to work with security, cargo lift, etc etc.
the extra inconvenience = added payment. The company won't know your Condo easy or not so the extra payment is accounted for.

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no money don't stay condo.

stay condo be willing to pay.
Usually why condos are more expensive because of the need to work with security, cargo lift, etc etc.
the extra inconvenience = added payment. The company won't know your Condo easy or not so the extra payment is accounted for.
dun say condo, let's say you wanna change air con, the air con company needs to charge 1k more and you ok to pay without checking on market value?

just to add on, it is 3k more from the mouth of the sale agent.

Last edited:

petetherock

Reaction score
dun say condo, let's say you wanna change air con, the air con company needs to charge 1k more and you ok to pay without checking on market value?

Don't ask what it costs for the same unit in a landed ... actually you should, then you may feel better...

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score

Ask for price breakdown and compare against other companies.
They might need to do site survey to provide official quotations.

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask for price breakdown and compare against other companies.
They might need to do site survey to provide official quotations.
I am going to search around but i was curious why 3k that why i ask expert here.

wacko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i guess this is how contractors perform means testing to determine how much to charge... I always found it odd that one of the very first questions a contractor will ask is what kind of property it is.

petetherock

Reaction score
I wanted to give it a shot... but after site survey, the installation works came up to almost 40% of the total cost.
Cancelled the order thereafter.
You’ll find many labor and material charges that differ from your government subsidized housing..
Think of it as buying a conti car 👌

kun1he2

Master Member
Reaction score
i guess this is how contractors perform means testing to determine how much to charge... I always found it odd that one of the very first questions a contractor will ask is what kind of property it is.
From the various companies I've contacted, it appears that prices quoted are typically for HDB apartments whereby there's no additional works for cutting holes into false ceiling and patching them back - which I believe they typically have to engage other partners to do the patching.

They have been quite forthcoming on how the additional cost is computed, e.g. how many holes to open, and based on floorplan, they determine if extra material and effort is required for longer pipe runs.

Anyway, just ignore those companies which provide numbers which appear unreasonable when compared with other quotations.

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From the various companies I've contacted, it appears that prices quoted are typically for HDB apartments whereby there's no additional works for cutting holes into false ceiling and patching them back - which I believe they typically have to engage other partners to do the patching.

They have been quite forthcoming on how the additional cost is computed, e.g. how many holes to open, and based on floorplan, they determine if extra material and effort is required for longer pipe runs.

Anyway, just ignore those companies which provide numbers which appear unreasonable when compared with other quotations.

not surprise when when aircon cleaning already have such practice

after all they are from the same industry doing the same job, everything advertise is not true
Unless it’s a company u use before, any advert by the company on public social media are too good to be true too

if aircon cleaning become chemical cleaning to profit, needless to say about aircon installation

devilcup

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Ya they should be more clear of pricing and not just blah out and when ask for explain and say it is condo price...

It makes sense if the quote is inclusive of repatching or redo the fasle ceilings and partition board... however if they do not need to hack it and it is done by my id then they should be cheaper right?

happykapy

Reaction score
Aircon experts - need your advice.

Current system 2 Daikin compressor dying (R22). Loud sounds coming from fan and bearing is faulty. Inside also very rusty.

Thinking of 3 options
1) Replace with Refurbished set, re-use old piping. But have to use R410 on my R22 pipes. (1-1.5k)
2) Buy new set. Use R32 on R22 pipes . (3 - 3.2k)
3) Buy new set with new piping . (4 - 4.5k)

Thanks in advance for your opinions !

a4973

Master Member
Reaction score
Aircon experts - need your advice.

Current system 2 Daikin compressor dying (R22). Loud sounds coming from fan and bearing is faulty. Inside also very rusty.

Thinking of 3 options
1) Replace with Refurbished set, re-use old piping. But have to use R410 on my R22 pipes. (1-1.5k)
2) Buy new set. Use R32 on R22 pipes . (3 - 3.2k)
3) Buy new set with new piping . (4 - 4.5k)

Thanks in advance for your opinions !
Also depends on how long you will still be staying there. Eg if you are moving out next year vs staying there another 2 decades?

happykapy

Reaction score
Also depends on how long you will still be staying there. Eg if you are moving out next year vs staying there another 2 decades?
Currently the plan is to stay at at least 3-5 years. Shouldn't be anything shorter than that unless major life changes.

chobo_kel

Reaction score
The ME Starmex aircons still having stock issues?

My installer says he called several suppliers and all cannot give him a date for restock even 😓

naruto13

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My installer says he called several suppliers and all cannot give him a date for restock even 😓

i was told by big store, stock is next year
but i can see on facebook tons of seller are selling at lower price than above, but not sure of stock since they "advertise" or some did stock up

tkdboi

Master Member
Reaction score
My installer says he called several suppliers and all cannot give him a date for restock even
1f613.png

not sure about now but I ordered from Gaincity on 9 Aug, was also told stock tight and might not have but my installation on 18 Nov was done with what I ordered.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.