Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenCoolServices

Reaction score
Hi just wanna get some advice and feedback as i'm intending to get a mitsubishi system 4 for my 4rm bto flat with 3x 9k for the bedrooms and 1x 18k for the living rm config.

1. Is it true that there is a nominal rating and maximum rating for the compressor? As in the compressor is quoted with a 28k btu but can max out at 30k btu.

2. Any reviews for bigbox's coolbox aircon installation and service? Anyone ever bought their aircon from them? Or is it just safer to get from established names like GC or HN? GC it seems has mixed reviews as well.

3. For GC's extended warranty, do they do actually honor it? It the warranty under them or thru an insurance company?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
point 1: if you refer to model MXY-4A28VA is yes MAX. 30368.1BTU
point 2: i think u go for GC is safer.
point 3: no comment

Neverland99

Reaction score
GC has their own pool of installers. Guess is base on luck base on the skill/experience of the installer that was assigned to do the installation for you cos some are more experience than others. Normally will have 2 person in a team, 1 person is more experienced and the 2nd person is normally an apprentice/less experience. The apprentice/less experience worker will normally do things like hacking the walls, cementing, laying the trunking, connecting and inserting insulation onto the piping.

vishalit

Reaction score
aircon problem

lately, i am getting a TIMER problem on all the three units in my apt. (MHI System 3). The vendor has quoted about 600$ for changing two PCBs and Fan motor in the central unit, which I feel is on the higher side. Any alternatives from the forum ?
Will it be better to replace all the units with new ones @ $2500++ ?
Any suggestions / ideas welcome. Thanks in advance !

BenCoolServices

Reaction score
lately, i am getting a TIMER problem on all the three units in my apt. (MHI System 3). The vendor has quoted about 600$ for changing two PCBs and Fan motor in the central unit, which I feel is on the higher side. Any alternatives from the forum ?
Will it be better to replace all the units with new ones @ $2500++ ?
Any suggestions / ideas welcome. Thanks in advance !

are you able to provide your air con model?

1. can u try to set the remote to fan model ( NOT COOL MODE) to see it still blinking?

2. turn off the main power (either 20amp isolator or 15AMP plug) and turn it on 15min again.

now just turn on 1 air-con if timer blinks immediately most likely your PCB faulty. call MHI to fix as the pcb is expensive

if you turn on your air con and it start blinking 5-10min later it could be cheaper to fix.

Last edited:

vishalit

Reaction score
It is SCM60ZG-S
Main PCB - RPC505A860R
Power PCB - RPC508A861C
CU Fan Motor - SSA512T061B
Thanks

caisin

Reaction score
Have a site survey from GC 04-03-2016, said that water drain pipe mayb need to use back the current old pipe(13mm) due to my house a lot of place have block, but the copper pipe will do a new trunking and new locate...
Atm the old aircon no drain water issue so far.
1. Just want to check is ok to use back old water drain pipe?
2. Normally new install for running new trunking with new locate (old trunking conceal never take out) will use back old drain pipe?
3. Mitsubishi 2 tick or 5 tick is better choice? System 3 x 9000btu, normal use 2 room about 10 hour per day.
Thanks advance

NoRightOrWrong

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does a higher BTU aircon unit drain more power than a lower BTU unit to cool a room of the same size.
Understand that a higher BTU unit can cool a room faster, but does it draw more power to keep the room cool over a same period of time?

^ assuming same EER for both units.

*Asking this because i wonder if there is any disadvantage of using a higher BTU aircon unit (aside from being more expensive)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

shadow_allan

Reaction score
Went with Starmex @GC

Thanks to this thread! This was really helpful now I want to pay it forward.

These 2 links helped me decide:

NEA link where you will see the ticks, efficiency and BTU/Kwh output

Starmex Catalogue

Our old Samsung 3 sys was busted due to a power trip a few days ago and had to be replaced. We used it for 3 years, the old house owners said they used it for 2 years, Twin City who services our AC units says the model can be as old as 13 years.

It has been difficult to sleep for a couple of nights now especially when you have 2 kids at home who are used to AC. Without AC, wifey was also hesitant to do the ahem as we both feel so sweaty and sticky :s13::s13::s13:

So buying a new AC is a must! After a few "lonely" nights through this thread and with Google's help I pulled the trigger on the following:

MITSUBISHI SYS 4 - INVERTER
MXY4G28VA~3XMSXYFJ10VE~1XMSXYFJ24VE

$4639 (retail) / $4230 (after CNY promo)

Piping upgrade - $240

New bracket - $150

+4 years warranty - $499

Total damage was $5119 - paid at 36 months 0% installment @GC

The house is more than 20 years old and condensation was evident on the old AC units so I decided to change the piping. If adding a bigger living room unit, you will anyhow also need to upgrade the piping as we cannot use the smaller pipes of the existing AC.

GC does not trust a bracket that was not installed by them so I was asked to change.

I went for the extended warranty as I will have peace of mind for the next 5 years for only $14 a month.

Compressor is small as we seldom turn on all units at the same time.
Salesman says the rooms may not be cool enough if we use all at the same time.

Upgraded my house to sys 4 from sys 3 :) wifey will now be more than happy.

I am also looking forward to the energy savings this 5 ticks unit will give me. Was wondering why our power bill cannot go below the neighbors average and I believe this is the answer.

Like if this post was helpful :s12::s12::s12:

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
To caisin,

1. Can use back provided no existing leakage issues but ask them to clean the drainage pipes for you.
2. If possible, best if to replace all piping including drainage.
3. Based on your usage, 5 ticks will be better.

terumo

Reaction score
To NoRightOrWrong,

If you use a 12k btu instead of a 9k btu, i feel that it will save more energy over the long run as compressor cut off faster and once the compressor is running at low speed of cut off, the energy consumption is lowered greatly.

terumo

Reaction score
To shadow_allan,

Most likely your bills will decrease, hope to hear good news after 3 months.

NoRightOrWrong

Reaction score
To NoRightOrWrong,

If you use a 12k btu instead of a 9k btu, i feel that it will save more energy over the long run as compressor cut off faster and once the compressor is running at low speed of cut off, the energy consumption is lowered greatly.

Great! Thanks for the input :)

iamnagel

Reaction score
Hi, looking for aircon for new BTO. Usage is around 2-4hrs for 2 rooms occasionally, living room only when there's gathering.

I estimate we turn on room aircon around 5 times a month only when really warm.

Due to low usage, I don't think we need inverter. Just went to gc and I'm interested in the Daikin ones. Is it better to get sys 4 or sys 3 plus sys 1?

Sent from LGE LG-H815 using GAGT

caisin

Reaction score
To caisin,

1. Can use back provided no existing leakage issues but ask them to clean the drainage pipes for you.
2. If possible, best if to replace all piping including drainage.
3. Based on your usage, 5 ticks will be better.

Big thanks for your reply

jimm99

Reaction score
hello bros.

can advise for suitable air-conditioning method as i am looking to hack and combine my new BTO flat master bed room and bed room 2 (walk-in-wardrobe)?

gain city sales person told me to get 2 x 9000 BTU unit in each room.
And include a sliding door in between the rooms and close it when switching on the aircon (which defeats the purpose of hacking the walls).

is it possible that i get a bigger unit and still cool down the whole room?
will a bigger unit consume a lot of power to cool down a combination of 2 rooms?:s12:

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Tojimm99,

A 12k btu should be sufficient, or slightly oversize it with a 18k btu fancoil.

iamnagel

Reaction score

jimm99

Reaction score
Tojimm99,

A 12k btu should be sufficient, or slightly oversize it with a 18k btu fancoil.

thanks bro @terumo.
but will the power consumption be significantly higher comparing to a 9k btu unit as this aircon would be switched on for ˜8 hours every night.

which would be the ideal option?:
  • option 1: sliding door between the rooms (defeats the purpose of hacking the wall). 2 units of 9k btu.
  • option 2: open concept but incurring excessive amount $ for electric. 1 unit of 12k btu.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.