Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanjhj

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some advice, for me, heavy user, 3 bed room on every night and living room occasionally.

I decided to go with ME system 4 for my new house. 2 ticks 4A38VA compressor and 9k for 2 bedroom and 12k for master and 18k for living. One of my Aircon guy quoted me $4.4k for armaflex class 0 1/2" insulation, 22SWG copper pipes, 16mm drainage pipes, keystone cables and 2 trip install, which I find, is reasonable.

Then when I ask him how much for the 5 ticks 4G38VA version same btu config (FJ series) for rooms, he like very reluctant to quote me, and just tell me $6500 for the 5 tick version which is think is BS and he just anyhow pluck number from thin air one.. why ah? 2 tick profit margin higher issit?

Get Lg better, they have 3-5 ticks compressor u can choose n 5 years warranty on parts. Or mhi. Have ioniser

Try aircon 101 for quote if u can pay cash or chq. Ask for quote based on group bto buy https://m.facebook.com/Aircon101p/

Last edited:

gentoro

Master Member
Reaction score
My parent home, whole trunking from toilet to room has water condensation. Quite jialat. Is it because frequent usage?

Using me. Suck big time. Compressor unit got problem in 3 + years. Not covered by warranty. Also fcu keep breaking down or not cold.

Trunking no matter to wat brand of sys. Its the insulation quality. Most cases are insulation choked with aglae or moss or fungi and hence insulation is gone and hence water condensation happened.

Frequent usage is the main cause of all problems. No choice, eventually wear and tear comes in and regular servicing is require.

dachee

Reaction score
A qualified installation personnel is as important as selecting the right air conditioner.

So, you had spent much time understanding the types of system and brands that you need to purchase as well as the types of material required for a lasting and efficient system.

Having the correct hardware is important but having a skilled person to install the hardware is equally important for the whole system to operate effectively.

There are many air conditioning companies in Singapore but there are even more people doing air conditioner installation and maintenance.

How do the public check that the person doing the installation and/or maintenance has the proper air conditioning training to do the job? Can anyone help?

JenCWang

Reaction score
First - Big com or what? very likely BS.
Second - How many units u have were cleaned? Which one with chemical and which one with take down?
third - if $400 for a sys4 chemical cleaning plus takedown, gas top-up and compressor cleaning isn't expensive
Fourth - Ur bedroom unit likely choke up dirt in fan coil which chemical cleaning have no effect
fifth - dun believe even the next 2 companies, they are BSing you abt the chemical wash.

General Guide when ordering for your cleaning of AC:

General Cleaning - $20 per unit? No sure market rate now - "general" vaccum and brushing of dirt and grime of cooling coil and fan coil. Not thorough one.
Chemical cleaning - 40-50 per unit? cleaning the cooling coil and drainage only from grime and dirt. Quite thorough for the cooling coil.
Takedown cleaning - $200-250 per unit? Removing blower from wall will be able to clean the fan coil. Need to top-up gas. (exception of starmex GE series)
Compressor cleaning - $40? Flushing the fan and condenser with clean water, remove dirt only
Refrigerant top-up - $100-$150? Especially needed when a takedown cleaning is done.

Rule of Thumb - Google and read to know more... :D

I think the same guys came to my place a few years back and tried to jack up the pricing too in the same method. But we rejected them as we did not feel comfortable with them. They broke my aircon cover and went off just like that.

ironut

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time I cheapskate. Took up those cheapo groupon aircon servicing deals.

The guys are totally not professional. Broke my aircon cover and never confess on that day.

1 week later, I found out. I went to their Facebook page and blast them.

Thereafter, they sent someone down with a new cover replacement.

That was the last straw. I will never engage Groupon listed aircon servicing companies.

Sent from ... using GAGT

dachee

Reaction score
Aircon 101

Just checking. Has anyone purchased their new aircon from Aircon 101? Any comments / experience to share? What are the materials that they provide and are you happy with their services and any problem encountered?

I am looking to purchase from them. Called their hotline but no one answer the call. Feeling a little concern about this!

boopit

Reaction score
Untitled.png

have similar floor plan ragegoh :s13::s13:

received this quote (4 room BTO)

We will most probably be using aircon in 1 room or at max 2 rooms at the same time. either that or just living room alone. Should we up the compressor? :s22::s22:

Mitsubishi starmex system 4x9000Btu

Option 1-
⭐materials items as follows:
*Armaflex class 1 1/2" insulation tube
*16mm PVC drainage pipe
*Gauge 22swg copper pipe
*Sigma indoor wire 3C/40 & outdoor wire 3C/70
*5years warranty for compressor
*1year warranty for parts

Total: $3900

Option 2-
⭐materials items as follows:
*Armaflex class 1 3/8" insulation
*13mm PVC drainage pipe
*Gauge 23swg LHCT copper pipe
*Sigma indoor wire 3C/40 & outdoor wire 3C/70
*5years warranty for compressor
*1year warranty for part

Total: $3600

dachee

Reaction score
To Boopit. You mentioned M. Starmex system 4. But what model? Your house has 3 bedrooms + 1 living room. How you want to allocate your 4 FCUs?

boopit

Reaction score
FJ series the 5 ticks one.
my question is really if 9k is good enough for living and M. bedroom as I will only use it rarely for living room.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi Boopit. The FJ series is the latest if I am not wrong. Price not bad but depends whether supplier cuts corners during installation. The installation of an air conditioner is as important as the effectiveness of the air conditioner itself.

Theoretically, the BTU is fine for the living room with that size (if I am not wrong) but the location of the FCU may be affected by the "L" shape of the living room. So there may be hot spot. It also depends on the number of people in the living room when using the air conditioner as well as what is the activity there (more active activity and more people would mean more heat), and whether the TV is turned on and what type and size of the TV. Furthermore, part of the living room would likely be used as a dinning place and therefore the kitchen door may likely be opened frequently. In the end, it depends also on the temperature that you are comfortable with. Some people feels fine with 25 degree while others need 20 degree. Alternatively, a ceiling fan installed at the right place can help circulation as well as cools the body. I understand that there are suppliers who my provide a large FCU of 18K BTU and three 9K BTU for the system 4. But you need to check whether there is any advantage of doing so. Over sizing the system is not good for cooling, comfort and economical effectiveness. The above are my option. Let's see what others have to advise.

itedino

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have my aircon service.

cooling coil and fan coil + roller(akaline wash). he use the oxygen to force the jelly out from the pipe and use vaccum to suck.

per aircon unit - $85/- expensive a not

anyone can intro cheaper

dachee

Reaction score
Hi, One more thing to consider is the location of the windows and facing and the type of curtain that you are using. Some building wall can be really hot when facing the afternoon sun. So are windows. Thermal curtains can also be used to block out heat from such windows if needed. All this consideration will reduce the stress on you aircon and energy usage.

dachee

Reaction score
Hi Itedino, Can be cheaper. What is happening is just some simple cleaning. I think $85 is expensive. It is so simple that you can actually do it yourself. Remember that this is only cleaning and though, such action can improve the efficiency of your aircon, in my opinion, it does not prevent the aircon from breaking down, except the clearing of the drain pipe (which prevent leaking)

So if you wish to do it yourself, than it is free of charge. This is because, such cleaning is unable to reach many other parts of the aircon which would need to be cleaned. So save the money and pay for a pump down cleaning (FCU overhaul) and inspection/testing of the parts when the whole FCU is dismantled for a complete cleaning and the fan motor and capacitors (indoor and outdoor) checked for possible future failure. If not wrong, the cost is about $150+- for each FCU.

Clearing of the drain pipe can easily be done by using a balloon air pump to blow down the pipe or use a bottle converted into a reservoir to suck up clogging in the drain pipe with your vacuum cleaner. (never suck up water with your dry vacuum cleaner without the reservoir). If need to I can provide how to make the bottle converted reservoir. This depend on request.

Alternatively, you can take up a short course in Residential Air Conditioning conducted by ITE. It is a hands-on course. If not wrong, it is also subsidized.

Last edited:

hahnhahnhahn

Reaction score
how do you check whether the aircon installer man installed a brand new Mitsub Electric aircon or a refurbished ones?

For new ones, is there some warranty or guarantee card for customer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.