Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunflowermummy

Reaction score
A quick search shows that the FTKS series for 12k BTU is $972.90 and the MUY-GE is $1042.60

Hope the above is helpful.

Thank you. I have googled, the price +-. Initially I wanted to get GC to do it. I freelance accounts in one aircon company. I overheard many problem with GC installers(many are not qualified and many problem after installation). Previous units were installed by Best Tech, rude installer, bad service and when my aircon has problems and provided cheap materials for the installation. I was not aware till other technicians from other company told me.

terumo

Reaction score
to Sunflowermummy,

Both brands are of similar quality.
You will be safe with either one.

dachee

Reaction score
to Sunflowermummy,

Both brands are of similar quality.
You will be safe with either one.

Terumo, what is your opinion of diyappliances? Or anyone has comment on this vendor. I think they are authorized dealer of Mitsubishi.

The problem with Daikin that I encountered is that their plastic parts of the FCU tend to deteriorate after a few years, some will crack and other parts becomes powdery and easily scratched with powdery residues. So even if the air conditioner is working properly, the FCU is breaking apart.

Anyone encounter this with their Daikin?

Last edited:

CANDICE YEO

Reaction score
Sub-standard aircon installation

Visited Gain City to buy Mitsubishi for my resale HDB 5 room house but was talked into buying LG System 3 insteadfrom Gain City.

Since we moved Into our fully renovated house beginning this year, we have so much headaches

1. Compressor dented and collected rain water - small matter and settled quickly.

2. Hot air blewing shortly after 2 months or so. Called Gain City and LG man came. Said gas leak and not product problem.

3. Gain City's sub contractor came, said need to do minor hacking to attach devices to detect where the gas leakage was. But I monitor first after he him tightened a knot in the compressor. Fortunately it worked.

4. First service done by Gain City also disappointing. The senior technician still ok but the junior simply talked too much, messy and untidy. But worst, was told one unit cannot be serviced as the trunking blocked the aircon and cover couldn't be removed. Need to relocate the unit.

5. Gain City's sub contractors came the next week. Either to relocate and move the unit upward or opened up the trunking every time servicing is done. I took the 2nd option to avoid all the messes and inconvenience.

6. The same unit started to make funny noise whenever I switched it on. On nights when I sleep light, I feel irritated by the noises.

7. Worst of all, rain water started to sip into master room lately!!! Given my feedback in Gain City 3 days ago, asking for a complete solution but no response from them yet!!!

I am considering to seek help from another aircon company and also give up my 2 year service contract with Gain City. Any recommendations?

If Gain City cannot resolve my problems once and for all, I hope another company can.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Visited Gain City to buy Mitsubishi for my resale HDB 5 room house but was talked into buying LG System 3 insteadfrom Gain City.

Since we moved Into our fully renovated house beginning this year, we have so much headaches

1. Compressor dented and collected rain water - small matter and settled quickly.

2. Hot air blewing shortly after 2 months or so. Called Gain City and LG man came. Said gas leak and not product problem.

3. Gain City's sub contractor came, said need to do minor hacking to attach devices to detect where the gas leakage was. But I monitor first after he him tightened a knot in the compressor. Fortunately it worked.

4. First service done by Gain City also disappointing. The senior technician still ok but the junior simply talked too much, messy and untidy. But worst, was told one unit cannot be serviced as the trunking blocked the aircon and cover couldn't be removed. Need to relocate the unit.

5. Gain City's sub contractors came the next week. Either to relocate and move the unit upward or opened up the trunking every time servicing is done. I took the 2nd option to avoid all the messes and inconvenience.

6. The same unit started to make funny noise whenever I switched it on. On nights when I sleep light, I feel irritated by the noises.

7. Worst of all, rain water started to sip into master room lately!!! Given my feedback in Gain City 3 days ago, asking for a complete solution but no response from them yet!!!

I am considering to seek help from another aircon company and also give up my 2 year service contract with Gain City. Any recommendations?

If Gain City cannot resolve my problems once and for all, I hope another company can.

http://airconquotations.com/

you can check the feedbacks of different aircon companies and ask for quotations. :)

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Anyone bought the Daikin Smiles series aircon??
any feedbacks? :s11:

dachee

Reaction score

Hi, It is so sad to hear your problem. I guess that you are not the only one facing such incompetent installer.

In my opinion, there is a contract between you and Gain City in regards to the purchase of the air conditioner, of which installation is part of the contract. In the event that you have another person / company working on the installation defects, than Gain City may have to right to void the installation warranty.

1. Talk to LG about your problem and ask them for help.

2. You may also wish to ask Gain City for their LG approved installer to review the installation and do the necessary repairs.

3. In the event that LG is not able to help you and you get no response from Gain City, then record all the problems and defects that you faced. Issue Gain City a written letter to have the problems / defects rectified within a specific but reasonable time, making clear to them that only LG approved installer are acceptable. You may wish to request LG for a list of their approved installer.

4. There are cases where installer do not even vacuum the line (copper coils) and check for leak before releasing the gas into the system. Such actions would likely cause future major breakdown of the system that happens after the installation warranty is over.

5. In the event that there is not response from Gain City, you may wish to make a claim from the small claim court immediately for the refund of the installation cost so that you can pay for a reliable installer (recommended by LG)with a one year warranty to redo the installation.

You may wish to update us on your progress in resolving this problem. This will help others to avoid the same problems. Do discuss with others on other alternatives towards a solution to your problem.

From your case, I, personally will never purchase any air conditioner or even other products from Gain City.

Above are my opinion and hope that it is helpful.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Will know soon.... I just bought from their Sitex promotion (Daikin Pro shop) to replace a much older Daikin unit in my resale flat. I suspect current one is 15 years old or thereabout (plastic is all yellowish now). It's still working fine, but I've other works for the house and since I've not replaced the unit when I moved in, decided to make the change now for good before it breaks down.

Bought 3 x 9000 BTU units with 1 x 20000 BTU unit and its corresponding compressor. Total about S$4.9k with new piping works.

Anyone bought the Daikin Smiles series aircon??
any feedbacks? :s11:

CANDICE YEO

Reaction score
Hi Dachee, thank you for spending time to give me your opinions.
I actually just want someone to help me resolve my problem with minimal hassle. Will give Gain City another few days to revert before I decide what to do. Meanwhile just need to mop away the rain water that sip in from the piping near the compressor ... So sad coz it has been raining Everyday now :-(

dachee

Reaction score
Hi Dachee, thank you for spending time to give me your opinions.
I actually just want someone to help me resolve my problem with minimal hassle. Will give Gain City another few days to revert before I decide what to do. Meanwhile just need to mop away the rain water that sip in from the piping near the compressor ... So sad coz it has been raining Everyday now :-(

Hi, if that is the only problem, then it is no big issue. Can be fixed easily.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Will know soon.... I just bought from their Sitex promotion (Daikin Pro shop) to replace a much older Daikin unit in my resale flat. I suspect current one is 15 years old or thereabout (plastic is all yellowish now). It's still working fine, but I've other works for the house and since I've not replaced the unit when I moved in, decided to make the change now for good before it breaks down.

Bought 3 x 9000 BTU units with 1 x 20000 BTU unit and its corresponding compressor. Total about S$4.9k with new piping works.

at first glance...i thought u gonna infract me....:s13:

Great!!! wait for ur feedback!!! :s12:
i'm more concerned about the noise....wondering is it quiet during operation.
Like the brochure stated 19db.

Coz mitsubishi starmex also 19db and i'd one at home...is really quiet.

if Daikin Smile Series is as quiet as starmex...then i'll be a happy bird.

:s12: :D :s12:

dachee

Reaction score
at first glance...i thought u gonna infract me....:s13:

Great!!! wait for ur feedback!!! :s12:
i'm more concerned about the noise....wondering is it quiet during operation.
Like the brochure stated 19db.

Coz mitsubishi starmex also 19db and i'd one at home...is really quiet.

if Daikin Smile Series is as quiet as starmex...then i'll be a happy bird.

:s12: :D :s12:

Hi, The FCU sound level is normally dependent on the air flow speed which is variable as well as the design of the fan and air flow channel. It will be good to compare the sound level of different models relative to the actual speed (not setting, as same setting in different models may have different speed).

For example: Daikin CTKS25 has 19-43 dB at 8.3 m3/min (max. speed if not wrong) while Mitsubishi FJ10 has 19-47 dB at 16.9 m3/min (max. speed if not wrong). From the above, it may be appropriate to say that FJ10 at CTKS25 speed of 8.3 m3/min would likely has 33 dB sound level.

The above are my opinion, hope that it is useful.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Hi, The FCU sound level is normally dependent on the air flow speed which is variable as well as the design of the fan and air flow channel. It will be good to compare the sound level of different models relative to the actual speed (not setting, as same setting in different models may have different speed).

For example: Daikin CTKS25 has 19-43 dB at 8.3 m3/min (max. speed if not wrong) while Mitsubishi FJ10 has 19-47 dB at 16.9 m3/min (max. speed if not wrong). From the above, it may be appropriate to say that FJ10 at CTKS25 speed of 8.3 m3/min would likely has 33 dB sound level.

The above are my opinion, hope that it is useful.

Daikin CTKS 25 QVM / MKS80QVM
• Operation Sound 19 - 43 db
• Airflow rate 10.8 m3/mm

Mitsubishi Starmex MSY-GE10VA/ MXY3A28v8
• Operation sound 19 - xx db
• Airflow rate 11.4 m3/mm

so both are quite comparable since the figures are 0.6 differences.

:o :s11: :o

orangeman

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, Need to know the size (include the ceiling height) and layout of the room and living room. And also in total, how many FCU connected to one outdoor?

Going to install on a new 4rm BTO, so looking at living room size of 12m square, including half hacked kitchen about 16?
Looking at system 4 , but likely only going to use the MBR. And the living room FCU most of the time.
Thank you dachee for any of your recommendations...

dachee

Reaction score
Daikin CTKS 25 QVM / MKS80QVM
• Operation Sound 19 - 43 db
• Airflow rate 10.8 m3/mm

Mitsubishi Starmex MSY-GE10VA/ MXY3A28v8
• Operation sound 19 - xx db
• Airflow rate 11.4 m3/mm

so both are quite comparable since the figures are 0.6 differences.

:o :s11: :o

Yes, very close. MSY-GE10VA sound is 19-40 dB.

dachee

Reaction score
Going to install on a new 4rm BTO, so looking at living room size of 12m square, including half hacked kitchen about 16?
Looking at system 4 , but likely only going to use the MBR. And the living room FCU most of the time.
Thank you dachee for any of your recommendations...

Hi Would be good if you can provide the ceiling height.
:)

gardiboy

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys, I am a noob to aircon.

I have set the fan speed to AUTO and mode to COOL.

Is it normal when I first turn on the air con, the fan takes sometime to startup?

Its not like instant the fan starts running. However once I switch it to HIGH/MEDIUM, it adjusts automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.