Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

popdod

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I'm using Daikin smiles.
Compressor mks80
Room cts25 & 50.

Resale 3rm HDB

terumo

Reaction score
You can link all up to a system 3 will do, since you do not use all three units at the same time.

max usage both bedrooms 8hr/day + living room will use rarely only.
Any recommendation will be appreciated.
Or if you can point me in the right direction to read up :D
Tried googling but sometimes specs do not list BTU etc.

ryangoh

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone share what is the difference between Mitsubishi starmax and Mitsubishi heavy industry? I am looking at sys 3. The price of mit heavy industry is with my budget 2.7k only.

I saw dalkin got also $2k plus for sys 3.

As I have no Aircon experience. Stay in HDB 4room. First time buying Aircon. Intend to use only 9pm till 9am daily.

Any Aircon store can recommend? As I heard many review here advise to avoid GC.

Thank you.

cerealz

Reaction score
Help

Hey Guys,

My Sanyo aircon system 3 of 10 years started to trip the electricity supply today.... only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem.

What's wrong? is it worth repairing?

If not, any recommendations for another system 2 or 3.
this is for a HDB 3 room. one of the rooms have a system 1 already. so this is for the living room(currently 2 units) and the other room(1 unit).

Also who to buy from, this is an office, so need the aircon asap.

Much appreciated!

dachee

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My Sanyo aircon system 3 of 10 years started to trip the electricity supply today.... only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem.

What's wrong? is it worth repairing?

If not, any recommendations for another system 2 or 3.
this is for a HDB 3 room. one of the rooms have a system 1 already. so this is for the living room(currently 2 units) and the other room(1 unit).

Also who to buy from, this is an office, so need the aircon asap.

Much appreciated!

Hi,

Pls explain : "only on the aircon then will trip other appliances no problem" -do not understand what you are saying.

By the way, was the fan in the indoor unit (FCU) operating when you first switched on the air conditioner and was the air conditioner blowing cold air while it tripped?

Does it happened all the time you use the air conditioner in that room or it is only intermittent?

Just asking a few questions to zero in on the possible fault.

cerealz

Reaction score
the air con blows cold air for awhile, then trips.

"only on the aircon then will trip, other appliances no problem" missed a comma.
sorry abt that.

dachee

Reaction score
the air con blows cold air for awhile, then trips.

"only on the aircon then will trip, other appliances no problem" missed a comma.
sorry abt that.

Hi,

If I am not wrong, it is likely that your compressor in your condenser (outdoor unit) is shorted to earth. This can happened due to wear and tear as well as overheating.

You can do the following to counter check this fault.
1. Set your air conditioner temperature just 1 degree below the room temperature before using the air conditioner. This will allow the compressor to run for a short period, hopefully not long enough to be heated up to cause shorting to the body (to earth) of the compressor.
2. If the air conditioner can operate for a prolong period, longer than the time it takes to trip in the past, then increase the temperature by another 1 degree.
3. Continue to repeat 1 and 2, start to take the prolong period when a new set of temperature is made (ie the increase of 1 degree).
4. Continue to do this until you reach your normal set temperature. By then, the air conditioner should have tripped already.

However, as the compressor and fan in the condenser is switched on at the same time, the above shorting to earth could also come from your fan. But, as the fan is operating at a much lower load and also being cool down by the air flowing a cross it, the fan is unlikely to be heated up as much as the compressor.

Normally, a compressor has an overload relay that will turn off the compressor if it is overheating. But sometime this device is faulty. Overheated compressor can be as hot as a frying pan!

Taking that your system is 10 years old, it may not be as efficient as current model. Repairing it may cost you a few hundreds of dollars with a short warranty period and yet having high operating cost. A 4 or 5 ticks system may likely save you a few hundreds of dollar each year with a one year warranty, sufficient time to confirm that all is in order. The compressor has a 5 years warranty.

Do your costing.

The above are my opinion, hope that it is helpful.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone share what is the difference between Mitsubishi starmax and Mitsubishi heavy industry? I am looking at sys 3. The price of mit heavy industry is with my budget 2.7k only.

I saw dalkin got also $2k plus for sys 3.

As I have no Aircon experience. Stay in HDB 4room. First time buying Aircon. Intend to use only 9pm till 9am daily.

Any Aircon store can recommend? As I heard many review here advise to avoid GC.

Thank you.

Hi,

There are a few things that is good to know.

1. Within the same brand, there are more than one model with system 3 as a result of different condenser capacity as well as the combination of the number of FCUs and their capacities.

2. Within the system 3 of different brands, they have different specifications on the condenser as well as the FCUs as individual factors such as COP, capacity, the fan speed achievable, the noise level.

3. And as a whole system there are the number of energy label ticks, the annual cost and annual kWh.

4. And lastly, the way you wish to use the system and the layout and size of the room as well as your activities and other heat sources.

You may wish to know that the annual cost calculated by NEA is based on an 8hrs operation with 16 hrs of standby at 27 cents /kWh BUT only at about 30% of the full capacity of the system. This limit the room temperature to about 6.5 degree cooler from the outside temperature.
If you see a model with annual energy cost of $620, you would need to triple it, ie $620X3.33 = $2,064/year if you run your system at full capacity.

You may noticed then that the saving from energy is sufficient to off set the cost of the whole system within a year and the half or 2 years.

It is therefore good to look beyond the initial cost.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

Last edited:

dachee

Reaction score
I'm pretty much set on mitsubishi's 5 tick system 3, with the MXY-3G28VA.

I'd like to hear what you guys think about Daikin's MKS-65QVMG though.

Hi,

Have not use Daikin before except that I had encountered numerous cases of its FCU plastic deteriorating with cracks and turned powdery. Maybe now this may have changed for the better. But the risk is there.

Good to here from others.

Last edited:

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
hello :) anybody can advise the following?

planning to get a system 3 for my BTO unit for all 3 bedrooms..

but now only me and my partner will be staying in the master bedroom and kids will probably come only after few years.

do you think we should just go ahead to install a system 1 for our master bedroom and install the other aircon units in the future when it's necessary?

we are not high usage aircon users. basically just use it for cooling down the room about 1-2 hours when we sleep or maybe 1-4 hours in the daytime if it's hot.

dachee

Reaction score
hello :) anybody can advise the following?

planning to get a system 3 for my BTO unit for all 3 bedrooms..

but now only me and my partner will be staying in the master bedroom and kids will probably come only after few years.

do you think we should just go ahead to install a system 1 for our master bedroom and install the other aircon units in the future when it's necessary?

we are not high usage aircon users. basically just use it for cooling down the room about 1-2 hours when we sleep or maybe 1-4 hours in the daytime if it's hot.

Hi,

1. Can you have more than one power points for the condenser (outdoor unit). If so, how many points are you allowed?

2. Do you have enough out door space for more than one condenser, if so, how many condenser space is available?

3. Do you really need 3 rooms with air conditioner?

4. What type of temperature are you comfortable with?

icyboiz

Reaction score
intend to purchase panasonic system 1 to be install in hdb flat 2 room. very small size.

was thinking if 9000 or 12000 will be sufficient?

and does anyone know of a reliable and cheap technician that can do installation? normally how much does new installation cost?

have concrete latch already.

dachee

Reaction score
intend to purchase panasonic system 1 to be install in hdb flat 2 room. very small size.

was thinking if 9000 or 12000 will be sufficient?

and does anyone know of a reliable and cheap technician that can do installation? normally how much does new installation cost?

have concrete latch already.

Hi

9k Btu is not the smallest capacity and therefore knowing your floor layout and ceiling height is good for estimation. In addition, is your room/s facing any afternoon sun and what is type of activity will you be having in your flat? A human body can produce lots of heat during a work out. One more, what is your set temperature?

Last edited:

icyboiz

Reaction score
Hi

9k Btu is not that smallest capacity and therefore knowing your floor layout and ceiling height is good for estimation. In addition, is your room/s facing any afternoon sun and what is type of activity will you be having in your flat? A human body can produce lots of heat during a work out. One more, what is your set temperature?

thanks for the fast reply. not much of a activity, just sleeping...using computer etc.

it's a 3 year old BTO flat. low ceiling i presume.. standing at 1.71m tall can jump and touch ceiling with ease. not much of sun coming in either.. i hope that it can reach the 1 room and living room since the house is really small..

icyboiz

Reaction score
right now i'm in a dilemma

it's either a 12000BTU panasonic system 1 or 9000BTU mitsubushi system 1. both cost me around 800ish, unless i can find a cheaper worksman that provide cheaper installation.

zzzzzz87

Reaction score
1. not sure yet but i see my neighbours having 2 condenser already.

2. have enough for 2 condensers

3. to be frank, now no need..

4. for my current parents' house, i usually use 25 degC.

and thank you for replying :)

Hi,

1. Can you have more than one power points for the condenser (outdoor unit). If so, how many points are you allowed?

2. Do you have enough out door space for more than one condenser, if so, how many condenser space is available?

3. Do you really need 3 rooms with air conditioner?

4. What type of temperature are you comfortable with?

Quantom

Reaction score
Hello A/C experts,

I'm a new home owner (BTO, 4 room) who is in need of some expertise in selecting an appropriate A/C system for my home. There are many pages in this thread which I would be really keen to read, but alongside that, I'm reaching out to you for some quick wisdom.

Our flat is somewhat typical of the new BTOs these days. It has only been completed recently this year. Our renovation is going to be pretty simple, and the two biggest modifications that we're going to make to the house are:
1. Hack wall between dining area & kitchen, replaced with island counter (open kitchen)
2. Hack wall between service yard & kitchen, replaced with sliding glass door with tracks

It's just going to be my wife and myself in the house for now. Our activities (that require air-conditioning) will center mostly around the bedroom closest to the MBR (full study room), MBR, followed by the TV area.

We are not big-time aircon users, and will only turn on the aircon during haze season or hot nights. I estimate conservatively that we will only use about 3 - 4 hours of aircon per day in mostly 1 room, to perhaps 3 rooms at most in the far, far future. There may occasionally be a need for strong cooling in the living room/dining area during times when we have guests.

I'm thinking of a System 4 from Mitsubishi Electric for its ease of self-maintenance. The diagram shows where I intend to place the compressor and blowers. I'm under the impression that such a layout would be make it easier and neater during servicing. Our bed in the MBR will be orientated in a direction opposite to that shown in the diagram.

Some questions for your recommendations.
1. Inverter or non-inverter for power savings, quiet operation, etc.?
2. Split 3 + 1 or a System 4?
3. High BTU or something more mid-range? Could you suggest a rough number?
4. I'm trying to avoid placing blowers on top of beds. Would there be a better placement for the MBR blower that would still make it easy to maintain?
5. Is there a particular set of compressor + blower models that you would recommend?
6. I would like a high grade of insulation and piping to minimise the chances of condensation and pipe leakage. What are some recommended models/gauges that I should look out for?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

terumo

Reaction score
To Quantom,

1. Most brands are inverter model. Left with Daikin Non Inverter in the market.
2. Can go for system 4 or system 2 (Study + Master) (Living + Bedroom)
3. 18k/24k for living & 9k for bedrooms.
4. Your intended location look good.
5. SWG 22 Copper + Armaflex 1/2 Insulation.

thecat21

Reaction score
I would like starmex mitsubishi 9k+9k+24k (5 ticks)

If such, can someone recommend me a single condenser that can handle this setup ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.