Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terumo

Reaction score
Quite reasonable considering the upgraded materials used.

Hi all Gurus, I am totally new to air-conditioning and have read through few pages of this thread, and went to get a quote from Cold Engine for system 1 and system 2. In return, here's the quote from them, can anyone advise is this reasonable base on the models and promo, warranty and material used? Aircon are only for room (9k).

Appreciate the great helps. :)

terumo

Reaction score
Their Starmex pricing quite cheap.
Daikin now has extended warranty, quite a good deal.

Hi anyone here can tell me if this is a good offer? i went to gain city today and the promotion now for system 3 (5) ticks is $3279. And comes with the following info:

price: $3329
model: MXY3G28VA
1x 12000, 2x 9000
installation is included with free upgrade 1/2 inch armoflex and copper pipe
1+4 year warranty

So what do you think about the price and model? i was also looking into the daikin smile series. Can you give you your opnion on which is better, daikin or starmax? thanks

d3n

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
no la, what i trying to say is opt for extended warranty
i understand workmanship very important.

recently notice these lol
mit starmax
5 Years warranty for compressor + 1 Year parts & labour

meaning compressor have 5 years but fan coil only 1 year?
if that is the case i can drop gain city lol

although ID n friend ask me take GC:s12:

extended warranty by GC or manufacturer, if GC is useless i find.

hwmook

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is the address confirm by the gurus

Cold Engine Air-Conditioning Service
Blk 206 Marsiling Drive
#11-306 Singapore 730206
Tel: 65 63620363

This is their residential address to receive mails as i was told.

The company registered address is as below. Doesn't matter.
280 Woodlands Industrial Park E5 #10-42 Singapore 757322

lee-turbo

Master Member
Reaction score
extended warranty by GC or manufacturer, if GC is useless i find.

mit starmax
5 Years warranty for compressor + 1 Year parts & labour from mit

btw
those installer like cold eng or tim wong give 1 year installation warranty right?
like water drip issues n etc

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone ever came acorss a blog that details that coolant pipe size for each brand of aircon? seem like starmex coolant pipe is of larger diameter and hence cooler then MHI

marcus70

Reaction score
asking the guru here,im going for system 3 + system 1 for my 3gen 4 bedroom bto,leaving the living room out,thinking of going starmex ,is this offer good,tia
MBR 5 x 3 =15 m2
common BR 3 x 3.5 = 10 m2

Supply and install one set of system 3 and system 1 unit air-conditioner with Gauge 22 copper pipe,1/2" thickness Armaflex Class '0' insulation, Keystone local wire and 16mm drainage pipe.2 trips installation

Mitsubishi Electric Inverter
Model : MXY-3G28VA / MSXY-FJ10VE x 2 / MSXY-FJ13VE < 5 Ticks > 1 set $4250
MUY-GE10VA / MSY-GE10VA < 4 Ticks >

Reaction score
why is the consumption higher when both sys3 have the same 3 9k btu indoor units?

http://www.daikin.com.sg/images/media/3MKS50FSG_4_Tick2.jpg

http://www.daikin.com.sg/images/media/3MKS71FSG_3_Tick2.jpg

is it because the compressor minimum partial load is higher?, does indoor unit size affect the minimum btu the compressor can run at? anyway to find out which brand/model can go down to 0.2kw per hour, asked daikin and they have no idea.

if i set my fanspeed to super low and temp to 29C the consumption drops to 0.3kw per hour.

Reaction score
Hi,

In my opinion, you have the following options:
1. System 3 for all bedrooms
2. System 2 for one 8 hrs + one 2 hrs bedrooms and one single split for one 2 hrs to be installed at a later time when you really need it.
3. Single split for one 8 hrs + system 2 for two 2 hrs bedrooms to be installed at a later time when you really need it.

Note that options 2 and 3 would need you to have approval to install 2 power points.

Why option 2 and 3 may be better?
1. A 3-in-1 system would mean that warranty will start from day one, inclusive of your installation warranty which is likely to be one year only. As you seldom use the other 2 hrs rooms, you may not notice any installation defects within the short time of usage. Unlike the air conditioner product, installation quality has no QC and QA. You will need to be the QC and QA or it will be a hit and run issue.

2. A 3-in-1 system would mean that when one part fails, that is related to the 8 hrs room, you may have problem with the other rooms, making them non-usable.

3. As you seldom use the other 2 rooms, you can install an updated technology and model in future when you really need them for almost the same price.

4. Personally, I would prefer to have single split for each room if you can. But otherwise, the nearest will be combination of 2 condensers, giving options 2 and 3. This is because, StarMex single split MSY-GE10VA/MUY-GE10VA is 4 ticks, very close to the 5 ticks FJ series which is at the low side of 5 ticks in NEA COP (coefficient of Performance) rating. Meaning the FJ series is almost like a 4 ticks.

5. You may noticed that the size of the outdoor unit for single split, system 2 and 3 are of the same size. Meaning that the condenser coil in the single split is able to cool the gas faster and more efficient than system 2 as it support only one FCU. Similarly, system 2 will have better gas cooling than system 3. All this affects the performance and wear and tear (ie the life) of the compressors.

6. You may also noticed that the condenser capacity of 6 kW (in total) for each room (6/3 = 2) with system 3 does not equal to the each FCU (which is 2.5 kW). However system 2 is much closer with 4.8 kW (ie each room will get 4.8/2 = 2.4 kW) every close to the FCU 2.5 kW. This will then depends on how cold you set your temperature.

7. Having a 2 ticks system would mean that you will always be paying more for using the air conditioner. Looking at the energy label for a system 3, the 2 ticks will cost you $1060/year and the 5 ticks $620/year. This if I am not wrong this is based on a 30% usage. So a 5 ticks will save you $440/yr.

Whereas if you use a single split and a system 2 combination, your saving in comparison with the 2 ticks can be $1060/yr (2 ticks system 3) - {$274/yr (single split) + $489/yr (system 2) =$763} = $279/yr.

8. Most installation are now charged per FCU, so doing one room or two then one or one then two may not have much installation cost differences. Good to check with our seller.

9. However installing the systems at separate time may affect some addition conduit that would otherwise be grouped together into one where all to the piping and wiring meet.

The above are my opinion and hope that they are helpful.

StarMex single split MSY-GE10VA/MUY-GE10VA got a 4 tick rating because of the minimum btu, total cooling capacity minimum 1.1kw = 3.7k btu so the total power consumption will be less than 0.3kw per hour, while the same FCU MSY-GE10VA connected to the 4 tick MXY-4G28VA cannot go down to 3.7k btu even in the same room and temp / fan speed settings.

do you know whether sys3 sys4 outdoor unit have higher minimum btu or the only way is to look at the COP?

if the usage is for 1 bedroom, do I divide annual cost by 3 for sys3 and 4 for sys4 ?

terumo

Reaction score
3MKS50FSG has a lower max btu, compressor will take a longer time to run at part load or cut off when 3 units are on at the same time.
3MKS50 is suitable for families who do not use all the units at the same time most of the time.

why is the consumption higher when both sys3 have the same 3 9k btu indoor units?

http://www.daikin.com.sg/images/media/3MKS50FSG_4_Tick2.jpg

http://www.daikin.com.sg/images/media/3MKS71FSG_3_Tick2.jpg

is it because the compressor minimum partial load is higher?, does indoor unit size affect the minimum btu the compressor can run at? anyway to find out which brand/model can go down to 0.2kw per hour, asked daikin and they have no idea.

if i set my fanspeed to super low and temp to 29C the consumption drops to 0.3kw per hour.

pacifiermax

Reaction score
Hello all Sifu,

Got a quote from Best Denki for Daikin Smile series 5 ticks System 4 aircon.

1 x MKS80QVMG
2 x CTKS25QVM (9000btu)
1 x CTKS35QVM (12000btu)
1 x CTKS60QVM (21000btu)

Was quoted $4530, including armaflex 1/2 inch pipe and all wires.

Is this a good deal?

And anyone use before Daikin 5 ticks system 4? any comments? thanks !

Soft Shell Crab

Reaction score
after reading for two hours..

basically it down to tim wong or cold engine..

any lao jiao can advice which one to engage?

blurgal2701

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Need some advice.

Understand that it's probably better to buy from Daikin Pro Shop or Cold Engine/Air Connection for better workmanship and maybe better materials.

But if I only want to replace system 3 aircon but using back existing piping, does it matter if I go to Daikin Pro Shop/Cold Engine/Air Connection or other shops (eg. All Best, Gain City, Best Denki, etc) since I don't need their piping anyway?

Last edited:

terumo

Reaction score
Considering the materials are upgraded, quite reasonable or should i say market price.

Hello all Sifu,

Got a quote from Best Denki for Daikin Smile series 5 ticks System 4 aircon.

1 x MKS80QVMG
2 x CTKS25QVM (9000btu)
1 x CTKS35QVM (12000btu)
1 x CTKS60QVM (21000btu)

Was quoted $4530, including armaflex 1/2 inch pipe and all wires.

Is this a good deal?

And anyone use before Daikin 5 ticks system 4? any comments? thanks !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.