alternative to powdered milk?

miketay90

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
as per title. meant for my nephew.

powdered milk has vegetable oils which doesnt seem ideal...

UHT milk tastes weird and not sure about nutritional quality.

Fresh milk not that convenient and in 1l carton. usually also homogenised (not too sure about nutritional quality after that process).

PsyClick

Reaction score
how old is your nephew?

You are right, most formula milk contain palm oil. And the price is more expensive than fresh milk.

Kids can start drinking cows milk as early as age 1. One can choose between fresh/UHT milk. So far I have been using UHT with no problem.

Nutritional breakdown wise, cows milk hard to quantify compared to formula where it is mixed like in a lab. I just look for the ingredients which are pure cow's milk from a good country without additional nonsense.

Working well so far.

angy

Reaction score
how old is your nephew?

You are right, most formula milk contain palm oil. And the price is more expensive than fresh milk.

Kids can start drinking cows milk as early as age 1. One can choose between fresh/UHT milk. So far I have been using UHT with no problem.

Nutritional breakdown wise, cows milk hard to quantify compared to formula where it is mixed like in a lab. I just look for the ingredients which are pure cow's milk from a good country without additional nonsense.

Working well so far.

How did you come to the conclusion that most formula milk contains palm oil?
Most of the powdered milk come from AUS, NZ or Europe. Those countries do not have palm tree.

PsyClick

Reaction score
Most of the powdered milk come from AUS, NZ or Europe. Those countries do not have palm tree.
generalization not conclusion, sry if I wasn't clear.

most will come in a blend of different plant oils (palm/rapeseed/etc), but I see palm oil come up quite a few times when I was researching.

miketay90

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just look at the ingredients.

most contain vegetable (actually seed) oils. NOT HEALTHY.

Pls la those countries dont need palm tree to have palm oil - can import.

chichichacha

Reaction score
Fresh milk is way better than powdered milk but it also depends on what fresh milk brand u will buy.

ChronoCross

Reaction score
UHT milk.. is properly sterilised. Best is breast milk. Free, good for baby and mother as nature intended. Most women too pampered to exclusively breastfeed.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.