AMD FSR Review! Not bad..

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Inclusive?
A true inclusive ones are those driver enabled ones that works universally and not using game specific support. Clearly AMD solution ish not inclusive.

If it ish just about performance and image enhancement through resolution scaling and sharpening, Nvidia had driver based support it since 2 years ago, AMD should have something similar as well...

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'd used the term 'poor man's' (in apostrophe I might add) because LiLAsN had first used that term (which he'd chosen to edit since posting it originally), so don't look at me, ask him about it. I don't think FSR is a 'poor man's' answer to DLSS, rather I think it's a wise man's approach to upscaling where you do not lock yourself in a wall garden ecosystem which nVidia wants you to. That's why I'd stuck with AMD for years, though I do buy nVidia cards from time to time, I like their open approach, I hate any company that tries to lock me into a 'wall-garden ecosystem' like Apple (don't get me started on Apple! That's also my trigger)😤

In many forums, I see a good deal of negativity, and usually from RTX cards owners who wish FSR a quick death, but their cards get a free uplift in performance for games not supporting DLSS, what's not to like in that? We need more nVidia customers like Yongkit who can see, without prejudice, the benefits of a free upscaling tech that works on both cards. It's not at all funny that GTX card owners are being left on the wayside by nVidia themselves who seem to NOT care about any card without the 'RTX' moniker, and that AMD is actually helping GTX card owners with the free uplift in performance in games that do support FSR.

I understand there'd be a loss in quality, but as long as the image quality is good enough, who cares? The naysayers are usually the ones like DF (they're some who had suggested that DF is in nVidia pockets, I do understand that DF's job was all about upscaled image quality), talking and focusing on image quality and basically pixel peeping, but never once considering that it supports cards, and older cards at that, from BOTH companies. Honestly, when I looked at the image quality of Godfall on my GTX 1080 in 4K at Quality preset, it looks good, damn good actually.

Sure, if I pixel peep, I'd find flaws, but talking about this purely from the perspective of someone gaming on a 4K TV, Godfall looks great, and just as importantly, runs nicely, I don't care that IF I were to pixel peep, I'd find flaws, I think gamers just want their games to look good, and run great, that's what FSR is for. That's a win for everyone wanting a free uplift in performance in my book.

Last edited:

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FSR sadly looks to be worst than Temporal Anti-Aliasing (TAA) Upsampling. It doesn't look anywhere close. It only targets edges while leaving the texture looking so blurry. For this 1.0 version, just skip it and use TAA Upsampling instead if you can't have DLSS.

The difference between FSR Ultra Quality and TAA Upsampling was night and day. TAA Upsampling is the clear winner.

On my 4K TV, even FSR Ultra Quality was noticeably different. But it is acceptable. Anything lower was a no-no.

But if I do not want to sacrifice 4K with a lower looking image, then DLSS is the way to go followed by TAA Upsampling and PS5's checkerboarded implementation.

FSR was that bad. But hopefully with reiterations, it will be useful for both AMD and Nvidia users.

That was what I can see from the videos shown by Digital Foundry, LinusTechTips and Gamer's Nexus.

FSR is using the good old per frame spatial upscale + sharpen tech that has been available for decades.
The only difference ish the per game optimisation and gpu specific acceleration.

Felt to me like repacking old things with a few app/game specific tweaks and optimisation and tagging a flashy name to it...:crazy:

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Guess all of us AMD user fall into what you call 'poor man' upscaling category, Plebs can't fight against allmighty nVidia DLSS.🤪

It's a free upgrade in higher res performance, and that's more important to us Plebs who can't afford or refuse to get RTX cards I guess. Not all of us would freeze a scene and zoom in 3x just to see the difference, I'm not anal that way. As long as I get playable framerate and 'good enough' image quality, that's all most of us non-RTX owners need.

As stated, I played it on a GTX 1080 (that nVidia does not bother to help uplift performance of, like the rest of the non-RTX cards) on my 4K TV and it was pretty fun. FSR at 'Quality' preset gave me good enough image quality and playable framerate was proof enough for me that FSR can enhance the gaming experience at higher res, I find myself enjoying and getting immersed in the game.

Edit - Now, the only snag for me is, Godfall crashed with my RX VEGA64 oddly enough, what's that about? I don't think I'd be using FSR for my RX 6900 XT simply because it's more than capable to run Godfall natively at 3840x1080.

Poor man? No. It is an inclusive solution, and really not expected to compete head to head with DLSS 2.0. Clearly both technology have its strength and weaknesses. DLSS is very image quality focused, but it only benefit cards fitted with Tensor cores. So a lot of low end or older cards are left out in the cold. I can imagine the technology is also more difficult to implement, since some developers have come up to say it took them a day or 2 to implement FSR even though it is at a per game implementation level.

From an FSR point, the ease of implementation and a wide range of hardware support makes it a great solution. People who can own the latest and greatest card may not find this useful since you can always get the best card out in the market without having to resort to upscaling tricks. But for the vast majority of people using mid/ lower end cards at least have the ability to play some games at higher framerates. This may even benefit the likes of people buying lower end Ampere cards in games where DLSS is not supported. So I feel a compromise in visual is a good trade off. At Ultra Quality/ High quality settings, the lost in visual is still within an acceptable range at least from what we can see with the current list of games that supports it.

In many forums, I see a good deal of negativity, and usually from RTX cards owners who wish FSR a quick death, but their cards get a free uplift in performance for games not supporting DLSS, what's not to like in that?

I understand there'd be a loss in quality, but as long as the image quality is good enough, who cares? The naysayers are usually the ones like DF, talking and focusing on image quality, but never once considering that it supports cards, and older cards at that, from BOTH companies, that's a win for everyone wanting a free uplift in performance in my book.

It's funny what you have to say Gaminator. But I am very objective in looking at things imo. Based on what I see and from my experience with a PS4/PS5, playing natively, DLSS and FAA Upscaling, I made that conclusion/ranking out of my own personal experience. It is not an end all, be all. My words don't carry any important weight to anyone. You are just making a mountain out of a mole hill. You even mentioned, "RTX card owners wish FSR a quick death". You are putting words in my mouth. So you assume my intention is to kill off FSR? Did you not read my post? It can only get better from here as mentioned when I said "hopefully with reiterations". Similar to how I did not even accept DLSS 1.0. I played the games natively during the RTX 2080 Ti days because the visual sacrifice was noticeable. Especially the shimmering in hairs (notice the same problem with FSR 1.0 too?) in Final Fantasy 15. And watching the video in 4K, you can notice the slight softness in the images. And it doesn't upscale the textures. It's just sharpens the edges for now. Thus, the texture of the sword in GodFall for example became blurrier and that, to me, is unacceptable.
If you accept mediocrity, then there won't be any advancement/improvements in technology. It's like settling for a game that is unfinished and unpolished saying, as long as I can finish the game with PS2 graphics, it is good enough for me. Then why bother having a PS5 or Xbox Series X or Ray Tracing then? You were not there when I mocked Ray Tracing back when it launched too. Because I didn't see the benefits of it yet with the amount of downsides it brings to the RTX 2000 series cards. In fact, sometimes, I still do not see the benefits of it in certain games. Cos developers have done a great enough job at faking realism in games. The only games that have managed to convince me recently were Cyberpunk, Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

You talk like as if there is no other alternatives. That FSR is this grand solution. Ever heard of dropping your settings down a notch? Ever heard of the more established TAA Upscaling? You should try watching DF's Settings recommendations video. It will help you gain some FPS in your games as well too without any noticeable sacrifice in image quality.

Btw, notice the bolded statements made in the quotes. Notice how you refuse to call it as what it is, yet, your words literally describes the meaning of the word that got you triggered like crazy in the first place. The irony. :ROFLMAO:

Criticism is a good thing. It pushes creators, developers to create a better version of something. Never settle for less. So stop accepting mediocrity. Use TAA Upsampling. It is a platform agnostic upscaler too just like FSR. But just like DLSS, FSR and TAA Upsamping, they are only available in certain games. So just like how you hate iPhones because of the lack of choice, the choice is yours to make whether to use it or not. Whether you use an upscaler or play the game natively, it doesn't affect anyone but yourself. So what's the point of arguing with someone online? Will me talking on a forum convince AMD engineers kill off FSR? How did they find my post in the first place? You need to tell me how my post has affected them. I don't want to unintentionally make the engineers cry and give up! :eek:

No worries. This comparison picture below wasn't zoomed in yet. So what you see, even on a 1080p or 1440p monitor will show you how the game looks with no 200% zoom. Do note that this is with FSR in Performance so that it will be a fair comparison between the different upscaling tactics from 1080p to 4K. Let's see if you will be objective or your fanboyism will shine here. :unsure:

XBPL29G.png

Last edited:

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Okay, you're entitled to whatever opinion you have. I find people who claim that they are being fair or unbiased online usually aren't. And I happen to have a diametrically different opinion from you. After all, I didn't call FSR a 'poor man's' DLSS and neither did I start calling anyone a fanboy which in certain forums constitute an offense, so to avoid any further disagreement, I'll ignore you.

Last edited:

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Do you guys actually play games, stop the game and zoom in and pixel peep every single details?

Because i don't. ... Well... maybe it's the "in" thing now.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Inclusive?
A true inclusive ones are those driver enabled ones that works universally and not using game specific support. Clearly AMD solution ish not inclusive.

If it ish just about performance and image enhancement through resolution scaling and sharpening, Nvidia had driver based support it since 2 years ago, AMD should have something similar as well...
I think you are taking what I mentioned into another tangent. Inclusive as in it is hardware agnostic. Comparatively, at least AMD left nobody behind, even hardware from other companies. Did Nvidia even try, or are they just trying to sell you a new technology so that you can buy new hardware, i.e. GPUs with Tensor cores?

I am also not sure how you can associate inclusivity with the ease of implementation. These sorts of technology is not magic, and can't happen at some driver level. Initially I thought that should be how DLSS work since its got some fancy ML cores on it to adjust the graphics on the fly according to the game and our setup. Turns out of course that there is a lot of heavy lifting in the backend for the "magic" to happen on our screen. You want magic to happen, sure, but don't expect a lot from image quality for sure. Blanket solution is generally not a good solution.

In addition AMD CAS has been around for some years as well. The supposed lower resolution, and slap sharpening on it.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you guys actually play games, stop the game and zoom in and pixel peep every single details?

For a point of comparison, the snapshots and zoom in may make sense. But I feel people have gotten too fixated on results of side by side comparison, zoomed in or not. In real life, that is not how people will use their system for sure. Unless the image is terrible, i.e. if someone uses any settings lower than Quality mode on FSR, then everything looks obviously smudgy. In most cases, if the image quality is not so bad that it sticks out like a sore thumb, then I think FSR have passed the test. Other consideration is that it does not require any special hardware to use this feature, which benefits other GPUs outside of AMD's ecosystem, plus it obvious its made easy to implement for developers. It is not the best, but I am sure AMD know that they are not competing for the best looking upscaling solution now, at least with FSR 1.0.

I am not taking any sides here because I use a combination of AMD and Nvidia GPUs, but just taking an objective stance here.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
FSR is using the good old per frame spatial upscale + sharpen tech that has been available for decades.
The only difference ish the per game optimisation and gpu specific acceleration.

Felt to me like repacking old things with a few app/game specific tweaks and optimisation and tagging a flashy name to it...:crazy:
May be AMD should hire you to do FSR then? Since you think this is very amateurish technology. It is a crude method as compared to the "smart" method employed by Nvidia. But it works to a decent extend. And by the way, the subject of this thread says "Not bad", and I think most reviewers and people agree. Nobody said, FSR THE BEST, as the subject. So instead of throwing criticism like this, give credit where credit is due. The technology may not be useful to you, but to those people still using older cards, including Nvidia's none RTX card, it can help with newer titles.

Lastwishes

Reaction score
Long time AMD user who went Nvidia this gen.

I don't think the criticism of FSR in its current state is unfair; everyone's got their own minimal tolerance where image quality is concerned, and what is usable to one person might not be acceptable to another person. If anyone doesn't find it good enough, that's an opinion as valid as those who thinks otherwise.

Not interested in comparing FSR to DLSS. But as good as DLSS is, I haven't actually reaped much benefit from it, aside from short sessions of Control to counteract the performance hit from ray tracing, and the single player Cold War campaign (believe it was said that DLSS was not usable for multiplayer), I haven't used it much. By the time DLSS came out for Nioh 2, I had already finished the game. At best, it's a nice to have when available, and I imagine that would be the case for FSR as well. Given reports of how FSR is so much easier to implement, it may very well gain a lead in this eventually.

FSR's quality might be lacking now, but personally, I think FSR has started off on great footing, and I hope it keeps improving, for one simple reason; I wouldn't put it past Nvidia to eventually abandon DLSS 2.0 optimisation for the next version of DLSS when a new generation of cards come out. The RTX series cards might not need FSR right now, but as someone who isn't interested in upgrading every generation, FSR may very well be a viable option to extend the longevity of RTX cards as well.

fbm051h89

Reaction score
May be AMD should hire you to do FSR then? Since you think this is very amateurish technology. It is a crude method as compared to the "smart" method employed by Nvidia. But it works to a decent extend. And by the way, the subject of this thread says "Not bad", and I think most reviewers and people agree. Nobody said, FSR THE BEST, as the subject. So instead of throwing criticism like this, give credit where credit is due. The technology may not be useful to you, but to those people still using older cards, including Nvidia's none RTX card, it can help with newer titles.
Yes, I do feel this is pretty nice solution and it works pretty well. Its more than just frame rates too. This is because for those with mainstream/budget cards, they will likely need to run down the eye candy to even get playable frame rates. So, with this, they may even get to turn up the details and get better image.

TrueBeliever_jh

Honorary Member
Reaction score

Of course. Then you are not a true gamer. /s

Anyways, I feel FSR is suited for console gamers, as they are further away from the TV, whereas PC gamers are much closer.

And of course there's photo mode.. i don't think games will reload game texture to higher resolution during photo mode right~ or do they~?

I too have not benefited much from DLSS as well.. im just not that interested in the current DLSS games lineup.. so that's a me problem.

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's why my main emphasis is that FSR works for a vast number of cards, unlike DLSS which is restricted to just the 'RTX' nVidia cards. It provide a free uplift in gaming performance (for supported games) and even uplift nVidia's own GTX line of cards (would suggest that mid and higher end GTX 900/1000 at least, a GTX 1050 may be too weak to leverage the feature). Mid-high end Pascal and Maxwell may reap the most benefit out of FSR, YMMV with lower end and older cards.

Again, I must emphasize that I am, and I'm sure many others as well, aware that image quality can never match DLSS2.0/2.2, but as long as image quality looks good in general as I'm too busy running around to bother. I feel this way now, but I've yet to see FSR done on a game like Metro Exodus PC Enhanced, this is when I might take the time to visually take in the scene, and that's when FSR is really needed, to improve framerate with RT enabled.

Only time will tell, IF I see similar visuals with FSR enabled, and better framerate with RT enabled compared to now, I'd be more than happy. But IF this means I'm into mediocrity, so be it as I like a solution where many can use and benefit from. I don't wanna support just one company and bow to 'it's my way, or the highway' mentality, even though it may have the better image quality.

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you are taking what I mentioned into another tangent. Inclusive as in it is hardware agnostic. Comparatively, at least AMD left nobody behind, even hardware from other companies. Did Nvidia even try, or are they just trying to sell you a new technology so that you can buy new hardware, i.e. GPUs with Tensor cores?

I am also not sure how you can associate inclusivity with the ease of implementation. These sorts of technology is not magic, and can't happen at some driver level. Initially I thought that should be how DLSS work since its got some fancy ML cores on it to adjust the graphics on the fly according to the game and our setup. Turns out of course that there is a lot of heavy lifting in the backend for the "magic" to happen on our screen. You want magic to happen, sure, but don't expect a lot from image quality for sure. Blanket solution is generally not a good solution.

In addition AMD CAS has been around for some years as well. The supposed lower resolution, and slap sharpening on it.

FSR is technically speaking using lower resolution then GPU upscale using algo and then slap sharpening on it.
It just have additional game specific optimisations.
Which meant it was available to both Nvidia and AMD at driver level since years ago...:s13:

What happens now ish that AMD repackaged that, introduce game specific enhancement to it and the BEST of which ish to slap a fanciful marketing term to it in order to make it a "response" to competition...:crazy:

It just reminded me of how AMD diss Intel for going Big.Small cores openly officially and then it was reported that AMD ish also going in the same direction in future products, with patents already filed on those design/researches since years ago...
Can't compete or bring products to market on time? Come up with excuses, slam competition, fanciful marketing and repackaging... Seriously AMD? :s13:

Rogue

Reaction score
It's not vendor specific. Anyone can use it. Most importantly, development on consoles from xbox to playstation, in addition to PC, can support it.

Unless Nvidia moneyhat a developer to add dlss or a publisher want to use it as a marketing gimmick for PC. FSR is the go to tech to be used for everything in the future..

AZE

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All this SS debate and comparison will end up like the AA debate in the past.
All gone or only a small subset of implementations or features left.

The real inclusive way to do things ish to work with M$/Khronos to implement it at API level.
Once the API level deal ish through, then game engine creators will implement it as part of their engine support, and then the game devs will use it.
All these game by game, app by app or other specific support for features are nothing more than marketing their own products...:crazy:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Lets play a simple game and test our eagle eyes 🤭

I have remove the fps counter for 2 screenshot below and see who can correctly identify the original 4k in game image without FSR.

there are 50% change you can get it correct so no bias as I am using nvidia 3080 GPU.

Anyone interested can reply this post by just answering 1 or 2.

the correct answer will be reveal on sunday morning if anyone interested to test your eagle eyes :LOL:

Those will correct guess I will reply with :eek:

Those with incorrect guess I will reply with :geek:

and yes it would be great if you could also comment (optional) the reason you select the specific picture to support your choice.

Picture 1

XEdEnD7.jpg

Picture 2

rwaNRpq.jpg

have fun 🤭

Edit: both picture have been resized to standard 4k resolution size (3620 x 2036) to minimize the differences. no change in the sequence of original arrangement.

Last edited:

fbm051h89

Reaction score
Lets play a simple game and test our eagle eyes 🤭

I have remove the fps counter for 2 screenshot below and see who can correctly identify the original 4k in game image without FSR.

there are 50% change you can get it correct so no bias as I am using nvidia 3080 GPU.

Anyone interested can reply this post by just answering 1 or 2.

the correct answer will be reveal on sunday morning if anyone interested to test your eagle eyes :LOL:

Those will correct guess I will reply with :eek:

Those with incorrect guess I will reply with :geek:

and yes it would be great if you could also comment (optional) the reason you select the specific picture to support your choice.

Picture 1

5b3ZgA7.jpg

Picture 2

4KHkQNM.jpg

have fun 🤭

I think No.2 is with FSR.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.