AMD FSR Review! Not bad..

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
How come both have resolutions below 4K?
#1 is 2294x1290
#2 is 1894x1068

Unless you are saying that both are using FSR. :ROFLMAO:
Let me guess. #1 is FSR Balanced upscaled 1.7x to 4K and #2 is FSR Ultra Quality upscaled 1.3x to 1440p?

PS. I am viewing this on my 1440p monitor. So never really checked how it would look on a 4K TV. Probably wouldn't have to.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
#1 is 2294x1290
#2 is 1894x1068

Let me guess. #1 is FSR Balanced upscaled 1.7x to 4K and #2 is FSR Ultra Quality upscaled 1.3x to 1440p?

PS. I am viewing this on my 1440p monitor. So never really checked how it would look on a 4K TV. Probably wouldn't have to.

hahahaha i guess some might check on my file size to determine which was FSR 🤭

i will reserve the answer on sunday for you 🤭

let me edit and repaste my picture for the same resolution file size and those interested. :LOL:

stressmage

Master Member
Reaction score
Lets play a simple game and test our eagle eyes 🤭

I have remove the fps counter for 2 screenshot below and see who can correctly identify the original 4k in game image without FSR.

there are 50% change you can get it correct so no bias as I am using nvidia 3080 GPU.

Anyone interested can reply this post by just answering 1 or 2.

the correct answer will be reveal on sunday morning if anyone interested to test your eagle eyes :LOL:

Those will correct guess I will reply with :eek:

Those with incorrect guess I will reply with :geek:

and yes it would be great if you could also comment (optional) the reason you select the specific picture to support your choice.

Picture 1

XEdEnD7.jpg

Picture 2

rwaNRpq.jpg

have fun 🤭

Edit: both picture have been resized to standard 4k resolution size (3620 x 2036) to minimize the differences. no change in the sequence of original arrangement.
No file properties checking, just by pure look I guess #2 is fsr

fbm051h89

Reaction score
Just to add: we have been using "FSR" all along..... Eg. on low end GPUs. I think we have been in situations where our GPU could not support native monitor resolution and need to run at lower resolution. Then monitor does the "FSR" and scale up image to fit the screen. OF course, quality is bad. But at least game is playable. I have a Lenovo laptop with integrated MX150. ITs too slow to run world of tanks @ 1920 x 1080 (min quality), so I have to run it at 1280 x 720 instead. Good thing is AMD's solution works way better than monitor.

Last edited:

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just to add: we have been using "FSR" all along..... Eg. on low end GPUs. I think we have been in situations where our GPU could not support native monitor resolution and need to run at lower resolution. Then monitor does the "FSR" and scale up image to fit the screen. OF course, quality is bad. But at least game is playable. I have a Lenovo laptop with integrated MX150. ITs too slow to run world of tanks @ 1920 x 1080 (min quality), so I have to run it at 1280 x 720 instead. Good thing is AMD's solution works way better than monitor.
Sounds like "windows mode" vs "full screen mode"

fbm051h89

Reaction score
Sounds like "windows mode" vs "full screen mode"

Not quite. Both are full screen. But in games you can usually use other resolutions instead of your native monitor resolution. MY laptop screen is 1920 x 1080. I set 1280 x 720 in the game. The same goes for other games, sometimes I use 1366 x 768 for higher frame rates. Its almost impossible to run games at full HD on MX150.

Windows mode is slightly different. It will set the resolution based on window size. AT lower resolution, you still get a smaller but sharp image. There is no upscaling done.

concept_fuel

Reaction score
Lets play a simple game and test our eagle eyes 🤭

I have remove the fps counter for 2 screenshot below and see who can correctly identify the original 4k in game image without FSR.

there are 50% change you can get it correct so no bias as I am using nvidia 3080 GPU.

Anyone interested can reply this post by just answering 1 or 2.

the correct answer will be reveal on sunday morning if anyone interested to test your eagle eyes :LOL:

Those will correct guess I will reply with :eek:

Those with incorrect guess I will reply with :geek:

and yes it would be great if you could also comment (optional) the reason you select the specific picture to support your choice.

Picture 1

XEdEnD7.jpg

Picture 2

rwaNRpq.jpg

have fun 🤭

Edit: both picture have been resized to standard 4k resolution size (3620 x 2036) to minimize the differences. no change in the sequence of original arrangement.
Would not play godfall unless given free but that's just me. But we are not here for that and because this is a picture game of godfall I'll bite, hehehe.
No offense intended and nice picture game BTW Yongkit:)

My answer after comparing the 2 pics is.....
Picture 1 is native 4k reason being the pic looks more detailed and sharper looking. Details in the
character clothing/armor/sword/cape and background is sharper and clearer compared to Picture 2. You can clearly see details like the small triangular shape on the back of the sword on the blade and much more on other things which I won't bother and too lazy to describe.

With that though will I play a game if I need better FPS with PQ like on Picture 2 although it looks slightly blurry compared to Picture 1? Yes definitely if it's an option that will make a game run smoother on old and not next gen hardware. The more options the better right just like ingame settings and dropping resolutions. It's after all options that YOU have to suit what hardware and your preference or appetite for what constitutes to what you can afford and playable in terms of FPS and PQ.

And like what the thread titles says......FSR is not bad:)

If my answer for the picture game is wrong than good job AMD, I'm sold:)

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
No file properties checking, just by pure look I guess #2 is fsr
Didn't even snooped into the properties. It was literally on the chrome tab title bar itself. :ROFLMAO:
Well of cos by now, since the link is gone, I can only show you how the title looked like on my browser history.

xUNSAdS.png

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
FSR getting integrated into console games will be a big push for higher FPS for games. But whether it is good enough for Sony to implement vs their own proprietary Checkerboarded Upscaling remains to be seen. Glad to see that Xbox will be adopting it as this would give AMD more of an incentive to improve on FSR a lot more quicker now that it has a huge adoption base for this technology.

But I hope game developers choose wisely. The fact that the embroidery on the character's skirt was literally going missing makes it seem like she's not even wearing any skirt. I might just go the Linear Upscaling path if that's the case or just stick to the better TAA Upscaling which achieves what FSR aims to do; Edge sharpening.

Nevertheless, glad to see FSR is targeting the right market segment; which are the mid to low end and older Graphics card owners. These are the target market that will benefit from an Upscaling Technology allowing them to play their games with slightly higher in-game settings at a higher FPS. So kudos to AMD for making an open standard Upscaler.

And the comparison between Nvidia's DLSS seem reasonable enough too. This is because of the hype leading up to the release of FSR where news outlets and AMD fans alike keep on harping that FSR "is AMD's answer to Nvidia's DLSS" over and over again leading up to the release day. So it stands to reason if someone were to compare FSR to DLSS when that was what they had been anticipating for months.

RZ7W6iG.png

Last edited:

fbm051h89

Reaction score
FSR getting integrated into console games will be a big push for higher FPS for games. But whether it is good enough for Sony to implement vs their own proprietary Checkerboarded Upscaling remains to be seen. Glad to see that Xbox will be adopting it as this would give AMD more of an incentive to improve on FSR a lot more quicker now that it has a huge adoption base for this technology.

But I hope game developers choose wisely. The fact that the embroidery on the character's skirt was literally going missing makes it seem like she's not even wearing any skirt. I might just go the Linear Upscaling path if that's the case or just stick to the better TAA Upscaling which achieves what FSR aims to do; Edge sharpening.

Nevertheless, glad to see FSR is targeting the right market segment; which are the mid to low end and older Graphics card owners. These are the target market that will benefit from an Upscaling Technology allowing them to play their games with slightly higher in-game settings at a higher FPS. So kudos to AMD for making an open standard Upscaler.

And the comparison between Nvidia's DLSS seem reasonable enough too. This is because of the hype leading up to the release of FSR where news outlets and AMD fans alike keep on harping that FSR "is AMD's answer to Nvidia's DLSS" over and over again leading up to the release day. So it stands to reason if someone were to compare FSR to DLSS when that was what they had been anticipating for months.

RZ7W6iG.png

Regarding consoles, my concern with FSR is that both game developers and even AMD lean heavily on FSR instead of optimising the game/hardware. Eg, now they just force FSR "on" to get around frame rate issues. There is no way to turn in off.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Regarding consoles, my concern with FSR is that both game developers and even AMD lean heavily on FSR instead of optimising the game/hardware. Eg, now they just force FSR "on" to get around frame rate issues. There is no way to turn in off.
Actually there is little point of concern for consoles even if they use FSR. My opinion is that consoles normally targets a certain level of performance at a given resolution, i.e. your 4K @ 30/60 FPS, etc. In many cases where the games are very demanding, they basically lower some graphical settings to try and achieve a lock on those performance targets. I suspect what will happen is if the image quality doesn't degrade badly using FSR, they may just lean on FSR to help them boost the FPS, instead of lowering graphic settings which anyway will make the image look poorer in some ways.

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Would not play godfall unless given free but that's just me. But we are not here for that and because this is a picture game of godfall I'll bite, hehehe.

Picture 1 is native 4k reason being the pic looks more detailed and sharper looking. Details in the
character clothing/armor/sword/cape and background is sharper and clearer compared to Picture 2. You can clearly see details like the small triangular shape on the back of the sword on the blade and much more on other things which I won't bother and too lazy to describe.

With that though will I play a game if I need better FPS with PQ like on Picture 2 although it looks slightly blurry compared to Picture 1? Yes definitely if it's an option that will make a game run smoother on old and not next gen hardware. The more options the better right just like ingame settings and dropping resolutions. It's after all options that YOU have to suit what hardware and your preference or appetite for what constitutes to what you can afford and playable in terms of FPS and PQ.

;) many thanks for the analysis and really appreciated.

hehehe answer will be reveal on Sunday ya :LOL:

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DF initial review of FSR had a big error, I believe someone over at DF had corrected it. The first reviewer (Alex?) was said to be very prejudiced against FSR and ran his tests with a mindset to prove his point. Apparently, when he compared the FSR and TAAU screenshots, when enabled in the UE4 engine, TAAU disables DoF, so his comparison shots between TAAU vs FSR was wrong, and which explains why FSR's was less sharp (or that's what I'd gleaned from what I'd read).

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
#1 is 2294x1290
#2 is 1894x1068

🤓 hehehe first picture is the 4k

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

:eek: wow eagle eyes for sure you have (y)

Yongkit

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for those participate in the simple picture games ;) all of you truly have eagle eyes (y)

Personally I find the differences was very minimal, and what I truly impressed was how FSR can help to push the Ray Trace fps increments to very playable high frame rate.

my 3080 with RT enabled was struggling at 4k maintaining above 60 fps during the earth realm, but once enabled FSR I can get approx 70~90 fps and the whole experience was totally difference even the PQ was like only 10% drop compare to native resolution.

Given more time I really hope this FSR technology can improved further (y)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.