AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did it specifically state Intel AX200 in your order sheet, or just "Wifi6"? If it states AX200, you have a case. Else, you probably don't - Lenovo doesn't really have a return policy unless it's DOA.

For most cases, it shouldn't matter which wifi chipset you have. However, Intel's wifi has a couple of advantages in a business environment, and is generally the gold standard.

As for Mediatek, they don't yet have a very good reputation. Yet they're happy to announce that they've made it into the Asus ROG.
https://www.mediatek.com/blog/mediatek-wi-fi-6-chipset-powers-new-asus-gaming-notebooks
Still, this thread suggests that keeping the drivers updated should be okay for most users.

mediatek recently comes into the collaboration with amd in terms of wifi chip, they want to reduce the reliance of intel parts....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-... (NASDAQ,MediaTek's new Filogic 330P chipset.
imo, mediatek doesnt have a track record of being the best in wifi solution, it is intel actually.....

s016

Reaction score
Does anyone has any coupon code for legion 5 on black Friday? The ones I can googled don't work

Lex1989

Banned
Reaction score
What's the best low profile Lenovo Legion to buy now? So many model!

What Legion 5 / 5i / Slim / Pro etc, headache!

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if it not cru, does it mean lenovo vantage will not provide any updates to the ax210 card?
Good question. I've not replaced the wifi card on my recent thinkpad, but last I recall you're dependent on Windows Update to supply updates for non-CRU replacements.

mediatek recently comes into the collaboration with amd in terms of wifi chip, they want to reduce the reliance of intel parts....

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-... (NASDAQ,MediaTek's new Filogic 330P chipset.
imo, mediatek doesnt have a track record of being the best in wifi solution, it is intel actually.....
Yeah they don't really have a reputation for anything good. :s13: Even their ARM CPUs seem to be lacking.

What they do have is a reputation for being low-cost. Given the global parts shortage, low-cost is likely the main reason why Lenovo went with them.

Downloader

Reaction score
Hi all,

I repost this here since I'm also considering Legion 5. Would welcome any advice. Thanks!

What to buy with USD1K Amazon Gift Card balance (wife's coy long service reward)?

Since my ageing non-gaming laptop need replacing, I'm wondering if Black Friday/Cyber Monday will make buying from Amazon worth it?

The replacement will be desk-bound home use only with an old 1920x1080 16:9 TV doubling up as monitor which I will upgrade down the road if necessary or if buying it from Amazon now make any sense.

I'm also so out of the loop on form factor vs cost vs performance comparison to consider what is the better replacement i.e. laptop or mini-pc/pc or buy components (including monitor) to build one (I used to build more than a decade ago).

Since there's no expiry, it's not necessary to spend all. On the other hand, I don't mind topping up a bit if it's recommended especially since I may want to do some casual gaming if the replacement can support.

I keep seeing Legion 5 being recommended. Is this a good buy?

Lex1989

Banned
Reaction score
Cancelled a L5P early this year.

Still wanted to get a L5 which looks more low profile instead.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good question. I've not replaced the wifi card on my recent thinkpad, but last I recall you're dependent on Windows Update to supply updates for non-CRU replacements.

Yeah they don't really have a reputation for anything good. :s13: Even their ARM CPUs seem to be lacking.

What they do have is a reputation for being low-cost. Given the global parts shortage, low-cost is likely the main reason why Lenovo went with them.
Actually their ARM SOCs have improved from what I understand. In the past, I agree that they generally offer better value, and my experience with Mediatek's SOC is generally marred by poor software compatibility, less of performance. The chips back then also ran hotter because they tend to not go with cutting edge nodes, as compared to the likes of Qualcomm. Nowadays, they are catching up by sticking with TSMC, and with the new Dimensity SOC being produced on TSMC 4nm, there are reports out there from credible sites that mentioned that they may compete with the likes of Qualcomm's flagship SOC. Software compatibility wise, I am unsure because I have not used a phone with Mediatek SOC for many years. Saw on some online forums where they mentioned the software issues are no longer there.

tjrsasea

Reaction score
My order specifically states Intel WiFi 6 ax200 for WiFi.

Was surprised it was not Intel when I check the specs.

Anyone has experience asking Lenovo to change back to Intel?
thats what i did. purchased 2 flex 5 amd and got realtek wifi cards instead of intel ones when i specifically picked the model with intel cards. reason given was that there is a shortage of intel cards.

they gave 5% refund after i questioned their business ethics cos no notice was given whatsoever.

but then the realtek cards keep giving me connection issues with random dropouts when lenovo laptops with intel cards (also purchased recently) was fine. end up the technician agreed to swap out the realtek with intel ones after some testing.

atb!

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thats what i did. purchased 2 flex 5 amd and got realtek wifi cards instead of intel ones when i specifically picked the model with intel cards. reason given was that there is a shortage of intel cards.

they gave 5% refund after i questioned their business ethics cos no notice was given whatsoever.

but then the realtek cards keep giving me connection issues with random dropouts when lenovo laptops with intel cards (also purchased recently) was fine. end up the technician agreed to swap out the realtek with intel ones after some testing.

atb!
5% refund? Say if you pay 1.8k, they only refund 90. Pathetic and if they have shortage they should not put Intel card. Since there are those who buy based on this

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually their ARM SOCs have improved from what I understand. In the past, I agree that they generally offer better value, and my experience with Mediatek's SOC is generally marred by poor software compatibility, less of performance. The chips back then also ran hotter because they tend to not go with cutting edge nodes, as compared to the likes of Qualcomm. Nowadays, they are catching up by sticking with TSMC, and with the new Dimensity SOC being produced on TSMC 4nm, there are reports out there from credible sites that mentioned that they may compete with the likes of Qualcomm's flagship SOC. Software compatibility wise, I am unsure because I have not used a phone with Mediatek SOC for many years. Saw on some online forums where they mentioned the software issues are no longer there.
I will avoid mediatek for now......
Unless mediatek kena brought by amd.....

Intel ax210 is the way......

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Officially, yes. It's not a CRU. The manuals officially do not indicate anything that Legion owners can upgrade.

Singapore also does not have Right-to-Repair laws.

If there's no "security stickers" pasted on the relevant parts, just replace loh, just remember to keep the original part and then IF touch wood spoil need to service then put back the original part.

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

The chip shortages must be really bad for them to go to mediatek after having intel and realtek for wifi cards

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The chip shortages must be really bad for them to go to mediatek after having intel and realtek for wifi cards
I will avoid mediatek for now......
Unless mediatek kena brought by amd.....

Intel ax210 is the way......

To be frank, I suspect the issue may be driver/ software related, and less of the hardware. Considering a phone with Mediatek SOC and WIFI don't seem to perform this badly, I won't say the hardware is terrible. Unless of course, Lenovo went for the cheapest option, which will likely result in some compromise in terms of performance, just like those low end Realtek WIFI cards.

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The AMD Mediatek cards only support 80mhz if I'm not wrong, as opposed to 160mhz on the ax200. Thus, you are not getting the full benefit of WiFi 6 since it's only up to 1.2gbps instead of 2.4gbps. this would be grounds to ask for a partial refund or replacement already.

What I suggest is to complain and see if anything could be done. If they can offer a partial refund, get the money and replace the card yourself. I replaced the ax200 on my thinkpad x13 with ax210 recently. No issues at all. I don't think Lenovo has a WiFi card blacklist anymore.

WiFi drivers will be updated automatically thru windows update. Don't need to care about vantage. And I think vantage will also show updates ba... They do not differentiate between models within the same lineup

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
The AMD Mediatek cards only support 80mhz if I'm not wrong, as opposed to 160mhz on the ax200. Thus, you are not getting the full benefit of WiFi 6 since it's only up to 1.2gbps instead of 2.4gbps. this would be grounds to ask for a partial refund or replacement already.

What I suggest is to complain and see if anything could be done. If they can offer a partial refund, get the money and replace the card yourself. I replaced the ax200 on my thinkpad x13 with ax210 recently. No issues at all. I don't think Lenovo has a WiFi card blacklist anymore.

WiFi drivers will be updated automatically thru windows update. Don't need to care about vantage. And I think vantage will also show updates ba... They do not differentiate between models within the same lineup
One major problem with this approach.

CRU.png
For Thinkpads, there is a nice long list of CRUs in the manual. For Legion, the only CRUs are the Power Cord and Power Adaptor.

So as far as legally changing the hardware, if it's not a CRU, changing it can void the warranty.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Waiting for any BFCM sale. Their BFCM code is not as good as DEALDAY

rokugo

Reaction score
Bought a L5 Pro recently and I also got the Realtek wifi card despite my order confirmation specifically listing the Intel AX200.

Submitted a request to replace the card back to Intel which got ignored for almost 2 weeks, until I threatened them with "nuclear" option of credit card chargeback for full refund of the entire set. They finally offered a 7% partial refund as compensation for the undisclosed change.
(This is in addition to a 5% partial refund I got earlier for the long delay in my shipment)

All in all it's been quite a messy first-time experience dealing with Lenovo directly, but at least I got a 12% discount out of it :cautious:.

Anyway, I'll be getting an AX210 card from Lazada and install it myself.
Crossing my fingers that I won't have to deal with the abysmal Lenovo support again for the next couple of years.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.