AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Laptop price now increases compared to last December what I can see. And it continues to become more expensive in the 2nd half of this year
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Laptop-prices-set-to-increase-in-the-second-half-of-2022.615852.0.html
Unfortunately, cost of everything is on the rise. At the end of the day, they can increase price, but it will just dampen demand further. Even assuming the ”pandemic” continues, most people would have more than 1 laptop/ PC at home for the purpose of working or studying from home. Chances of a surge in demand is highly unlikely.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
true, dunno the wait times for now.

hope AMD can surprise us still :o
In the last couple of years, AMD’s Ryzen 4000 and 5000 APUs generally took quite a few months before availability improves. So I am not expecting this trend to change. They are constrained by the fab, and there are other bottlenecks in terms of component availability to consider as well. So my recommendation is to avoid checking for now so as not to disappoint yourself. :unsure:

halocast

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the last couple of years, AMD’s Ryzen 4000 and 5000 APUs generally took quite a few months before availability improves. So I am not expecting this trend to change. They are constrained by the fab, and there are other bottlenecks in terms of component availability to consider as well. So my recommendation is to avoid checking for now so as not to disappoint yourself. :unsure:
ya waiting for steam deck 2.0 first :p

Infinite

Reaction score
Mine is the slim 7 with 4700U proessor. No issues. It even replaces my desktop now as my main computer.

try using only one stick of memory or dont use external memory and use only on board memory

Can you try and go to say Chrome’s advance setting and disable the GPU acceleration, then try it again? I know you mentioned about both Chrome and Edge, but in the past where I ran into issues with Chrome, I always go in to disable GPU acceleration because that option tends to be the culprit. I don’t always do that unless I run into issue with Chrome.
thanks all for the replies. I'm using the Intel i5 11th gen Slim 7. Seems like I am the only guy with the issue, if thats the case then it is likely caused by my work vpn software instead (after reset it was fine, but once i started installing stuff it started crashing). though i dont experience the same issue on my desktop...

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
T14s gen 3 amd.
Avoid T14 and T16 amd. Those no USB 4.

If need bigger screen, stick with alder lake t16 though battery life may sucks
I would be conservative and wait.

Just because it's USB4 does not mean they enabled Thunderbolt. The USB-IF seriously messed up the spec by allowing OEMs to choose what they feel like enabling.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would be conservative and wait.

Just because it's USB4 does not mean they enabled Thunderbolt. The USB-IF seriously messed up the spec by allowing OEMs to choose what they feel like enabling.
True, every first gen products is technically beta products.
Since amd just implemented USB 4, the implementation may not be stable

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
There’s already a thread discussing UBS4/TB4 support for new gen AMD CPU for a while. Ppl who needs TB4 should seek for Intel model at least for this year

https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...-and-discussion.2592313/page-37#post-40666156
Except that the poorer battery life from their 12th Gen is a deal breaker for laptop users, who may prefer AMD this year because of that reason alone. 2-3h extra battery life is not insignificant.

The increased performance may be welcome, but laptop users who value mobility are spoilt by the likes of the Apple MacBook M1 that seems to run forever on a single charge - pretty much the current standard for mobile computing on battery.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if lenovo can chug one of these in :o

I am looking forward to see these RDNA2 iGPUs in action. So far all the reviews point to it being faster than Nvidia’d MX series, and in some cases, quite a fair bit more performant. However, I feel the iGPU may not run optimally on U series chips due to limited power or thermal headroom.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am looking forward to see these RDNA2 iGPUs in action. So far all the reviews point to it being faster than Nvidia’d MX series, and in some cases, quite a fair bit more performant. However, I feel the iGPU may not run optimally on U series chips due to limited power or thermal headroom.
I think buyers have to be realistic in their expectations. The purpose of U series is for thin and light laptops with low wattage to preserve battery life, so the performance will be compromised.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think buyers have to be realistic in their expectations. The purpose of U series is for thin and light laptops with low wattage to preserve battery life, so the performance will be compromised.
I am not expecting miracles here really. My point of call this out is because that video was showing the iGPU in action on a U series CPU. Having used a few Ryzen U series, it should be general knowledge that it will not be able to perform anywhere close to its full potential, especially under a sustained load.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.