AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Majority of codes are blocked.
An agent told me that a few codes are actually supposed to be used by Lenovo employee only. I guess they’re solving “internal issue” now lol
Even the prices of laptops are increasing. Generally over the last few years, I will always find ordering laptops from Lenovo directly to be cheaper. Just a month ago, I found the Legion 5 sold in Best Denki (during promotion) to be cheaper or better in value.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
when buying laptop, will you buy from Singapore or order online from China?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
Generally I would prefer local warranty for laptops, unless you are getting very significant savings buying from China. In addition, you should also consider,
1. What is the cost of the laptop, i.e. does it cost a lot, and,
2. Is it possible for you to send your laptop in for service, i.e. back to the country or to local service center?

whatheheck

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Majority of codes are blocked.
An agent told me that a few codes are actually supposed to be used by Lenovo employee only. I guess they’re solving “internal issue” now lol
Wa sian. Then need see elsewhere or other brands liao
:frown:

KeytoFreedom

Master Member
Reaction score
Generally I would prefer local warranty for laptops, unless you are getting very significant savings buying from China. In addition, you should also consider,
1. What is the cost of the laptop, i.e. does it cost a lot, and,
2. Is it possible for you to send your laptop in for service, i.e. back to the country or to local service center?
yes quite agree...I got a Lenovo Xiaoxin only 10months got issues with screen having horizontal lines ... supposed under international warranty but Lenovo service center asking for invoice and am trying to contact Shopee seller

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes quite agree...I got a Lenovo Xiaoxin only 10months got issues with screen having horizontal lines ... supposed under international warranty but Lenovo service center asking for invoice and am trying to contact Shopee seller

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
I feel if you get a lot of savings, then it may be worth the risk. At least in your case, there is supposed international warranty. Normally Lenovo laptops should have warranty activated based on the manufacturing date. So if you cannot get hold of the seller for invoice, not sure if you can use the manufacturing date assuming it is not greater than 12 months or outside the warranty coverage?

My opinion is that laptop quality have gone down significantly over the last 2 years. The shortages means manufacturers are getting whatever they can so that they have a complete product to sell and within the budget/ cost. So you can tell like Lenovo used to offer Intel WIFI as a cheap upgrade option for their AMD based laptops. Now, depending on the model you purchased, you generally get a ”lucky dip” to see if you get a Realtek or MediaTek WIFI card. This example likely applies to other components in the laptop.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel if you get a lot of savings, then it may be worth the risk. At least in your case, there is supposed international warranty. Normally Lenovo laptops should have warranty activated based on the manufacturing date. So if you cannot get hold of the seller for invoice, not sure if you can use the manufacturing date assuming it is not greater than 12 months or outside the warranty coverage?

My opinion is that laptop quality have gone down significantly over the last 2 years. The shortages means manufacturers are getting whatever they can so that they have a complete product to sell and within the budget/ cost. So you can tell like Lenovo used to offer Intel WIFI as a cheap upgrade option for their AMD based laptops. Now, depending on the model you purchased, you generally get a ”lucky dip” to see if you get a Realtek or MediaTek WIFI card. This example likely applies to other components in the laptop.
snapdragon card are being used as well in amd laptops.

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
heh, i just bought yoga slim 7 carbon from lelomo site with 2Y ADP

abit too heavy to bring to travelling....hence will be selling off my legion s7

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much did you pay for your yoga slim 7 carbon?
1709 including 2Y ADP

i read in many sites they recommend to get the 2Y Accident Damage Protection

cos the screen is OLED which may burn-in easily and will cost 800-900 to replace

so just buy lor, it's only 100+

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
heh, i just bought yoga slim 7 carbon from lelomo site with 2Y ADP

abit too heavy to bring to travelling....hence will be selling off my legion s7
Can’t be compared man. While portability certainly is an advantage of the Slim 7 Carbon, but if your use case is gaming primarily, the Legion Slim 7 is vastly superior. If I am travelling, I would prefer to bring a tablet because it is lighter and the battery last a lot longer as well.

stupidog

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can’t be compared man. While portability certainly is an advantage of the Slim 7 Carbon, but if your use case is gaming primarily, the Legion Slim 7 is vastly superior. If I am travelling, I would prefer to bring a tablet because it is lighter and the battery last a lot longer as well.
true but tablet is quite limited unless u are playing some mobile games or watch netflix.

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah, I got confused with the Slim 7 Pro. So it is partially soldered. So the options are, (1) +16GB for a total of 24GB, or, (2) +32GB for a total of 40GB. Personally, I don't like a ram config where the ram capacity is not the same. You get more RAM for sure, but I don't think it runs in parallel despite showing as dual channel. My understanding is that if the capacity of the RAM is not the same in the 2 slots, data is usually written from the RAM with the higher capacity first, then moved to the smaller capacity stick. So there will be a performance penalty. Unless you die die must have more RAM, then there's no choice since it is better than running low on RAM.

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/internals-5-960x643.jpg

My understanding of mixed capacity RAM is we get dual channel performance for 2x of the smaller stick. i.e. 8GB + 32GB = 16GB gets dual channel performance, basically the 8GB + 1st 8GB of the 32GB DIMM. If our memory usage goes above 16GB in this case, then performance of apps using those memory area takes a hit.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My understanding of mixed capacity RAM is we get dual channel performance for 2x of the smaller stick. i.e. 8GB + 32GB = 16GB gets dual channel performance, basically the 8GB + 1st 8GB of the 32GB DIMM. If our memory usage goes above 16GB in this case, then performance of apps using those memory area takes a hit.
I have t14 gen 2 amd.

For amd.

32 gb = 16 + 16 get the best benchmark score.....

48 gb performed worse since the last 16gb is single channel performance

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have t14 gen 2 amd.

For amd.

32 gb = 16 + 16 get the best benchmark score.....

48 gb performed worse since the last 16gb is single channel performance

Benchmarks are just benchmarks. If you need 40+ GB, the 48GB will be faster than the 32GB with swapping to disk.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Benchmarks are just benchmarks. If you need 40+ GB, the 48GB will be faster than the 32GB with swapping to disk.
I thought Amd very particular about ram size symmetry?

Is there a significant difference between 32 and 48?

Right now my usage is 21 to 24 ish.

Last time when got 16, it really struggles lol.

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I thought Amd very particular about ram size symmetry?

Is there a significant difference between 32 and 48?

Right now my usage is 21 to 24 ish.

Last time when got 16, it really struggles lol.

Not sure about that but as I said, a lot of these performance differences can show up in benchmarks but real world usage experience is the most important... unless you make a living off setting benchmark records :D

My typical minimum is also around 20+ with peaks in the 30+ on my work laptop. My last laptop had 24GB and it was really struggling from just normal after COVID WFH. There's no way I'm going to be faster/more productive from a matched 8GB + 8GB set vs my current 8+32 set. Even if the 8+8 has a 100% advantage in benchmarks :D

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure about that but as I said, a lot of these performance differences can show up in benchmarks but real world usage experience is the most important... unless you make a living off setting benchmark records :D

My typical minimum is also around 20+ with peaks in the 30+ on my work laptop. My last laptop had 24GB and it was really struggling from just normal after COVID WFH. There's no way I'm going to be faster/more productive from a matched 8GB + 8GB set vs my current 8+32 set. Even if the 8+8 has a 100% advantage in benchmarks :D

I know 16gb now is a scam. I can feel the difference when I go from 16+ 0 to 16 + 16.

Ur side leh, how chu know the 40gb really ish gut? What can real world usage shows the 32 gb ram stick is worth it?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.