AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

continuum

Reaction score
Yes loving the laptop so far! The 32gb version is 16gbx 2 (1xR8) version so it is faster than 16gb version which runs on (1xR16)!
You're right (although I think mine is 2Rx8). I just compared my ZenTimings values with Jarrod's Tech's new (faster) RAM and they're exactly the same: (my values are the same as the right picture with tRFC = 560).

Fizzical

Reaction score
You're right (although I think mine is 2Rx8). I just compared my ZenTimings values with Jarrod's Tech's new (faster) RAM and they're exactly the same: (my values are the same as the right picture with tRFC = 560).

Can easily check via the model number in ZenTimings at the bottom. Mine is M471A2G43AB2-CWE. Based on the Google image, the sticker indicates 1xR8. :D

AYAZS210611fv3z7.jpg

eting72

Reaction score
this thread has been really informative...especially when it comes to code!
ordered E15 Gen 3 (Cezanne) R5 5650U

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anyone received the legion 5 pro recently the WiFi card showing realtek instead of intel?
Noticing a lot more Realtek cards in general, not merely on the Legion 5.

Unfortunately, Lenovo does not guarantee Intel cards for their laptops in the spec sheets, so they can pretty much use whatever they can source as long as it's within spec.

Also observing that the prices of Intel AX200/201/210 cards have risen quite a bit - so I'm only concluding there must be a parts shortage.

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
Noticing a lot more Realtek cards in general, not merely on the Legion 5.

Unfortunately, Lenovo does not guarantee Intel cards for their laptops in the spec sheets, so they can pretty much use whatever they can source as long as it's within spec.

Also observing that the prices of Intel AX200/201/210 cards have risen quite a bit - so I'm only concluding there must be a parts shortage.
Lenovo called, they offered 5% refund if choose to keep the laptop or return the laptop for full refund, still thinking about it.

continuum

Reaction score
Lenovo called, they offered 5% refund if choose to keep the laptop or return the laptop for full refund, still thinking about it.
In my opinion, take the 5%. It's not difficult to change the WiFi card. Also, there's WiFi 6e now. If you happen to want to upgrade your router in the next year or so, you can consider getting the WiFi 6e card.

huytoan132

Reaction score
I'd take 5% off, buy Intel WIFI 6e card for maybe 40 bucks.
BTW, seems no one's interested in Legion Intel variant here?

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Realtek cards are fair - not terrible.

In my opinion, take the 5%. It's not difficult to change the WiFi card. Also, there's WiFi 6e now. If you happen to want to upgrade your router in the next year or so, you can consider getting the WiFi 6e card.
This is a decent position to take. It really depends on many unknowns though.

Note that the Legion does not officially allow users to replace parts inside (read the manual for CRU), so it can legally be considered "unauthorised servicing", which is a valid clause to void the warranty. We've already heard allegations around HWZ of one service centre very quick to voiding the warranty for a rather popular Taiwanese brand. If, in the worst case scenario, because of policy changes they decide to be strictly enforcing this clause, then @ksrokiller will lose his warranty on the machine.

It must be said that nearly all service centres in Singapore are run by 3rd party outsourced contractors; Exceptions are Apple's Genius Bar (ie, only their official 3: Jewel, Knightsbridge, and MBS) and I think HP Alexandria and Acer in their Jurong HQ - the rest are run by 3rd party vendors (Yes, A.Lab is a 3rd party contractor, not Apple themselves). Some familiar names include Unisys, Micro2000 (in the past), Servlink, DCSS, AsiaPac, Avertek, etc... We all know the outsourcing game - vendors can change anytime the company decides to.

For now, we count on their good will, but we cannot assume this will continue. If it so happens they rotate service centre after the contract is due, and the new guys decide to activate the warranty voiding clause, then you're on your own.

Vassago

Reaction score
Hi Hi,

I have a Legion 5 with 16GB memory. if i upgrade to 32GB. Will my warranty be void?

And is it easy to pry open the back casing? read that it is very tight.

Thanks in Advance

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Hi,

I have a Legion 5 with 16GB memory. if i upgrade to 32GB. Will my warranty be void?

And is it easy to pry open the back casing? read that it is very tight.

Thanks in Advance
The only answer I can give you is, check the manual for official indications. Lenovo clearly indicates the Customer Replaceable Units (CRU), so these clearly do not void the warranty. From what I've seen, Legions, Ideapads, Yogas don't have anything listed under the CRU in the User Guide. So this is the official position. Make of it what you will.

The next thing to consider is whether the service centres are willing to "close one eye" to user upgrades. For now, they do. But in future, we don't know. As of now, it falls under the "By right cannot, by left can" ambiguity. Whether this remains, no one can guarantee you. What many people do is to swap back the parts before claiming warranty. Hopefully you don't get caught. But I've noticed 2 recent Ideapads come with safety seals on the screws inside the laptop for the NVMe at least, so they will know if you tamper with the components.

As to googling and getting answers, take note that the US has laws that mandate Right to Repair, so these override the CRU listings for them. Singapore does not have Right to Repair laws. Singapore also happens to be more pro-business in approach, so consumer protection is very weak. In case of any dispute, don't expect decisions to swing your way. :(

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.