AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

huytoan132

Reaction score
True that Legion CRU does not cover RAM & WIFI card unlike Thinkpad, still you can replace it with new parts then when time comes for warranty just reswap the original parts. Of course, down side is that you can’t sell original parts…

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
True that Legion CRU does not cover RAM & WIFI card unlike Thinkpad, still you can replace it with new parts then when time comes for warranty just reswap the original parts. Of course, down side is that you can’t sell original parts…
I was more concerned that they are starting use security seals on screws. This is from one of 2 Ideapads I recently helped friends to buy (cos of their budget/requirements).

huytoan132

Reaction score
I was more concerned that they are starting use security seals on screws. This is from one of 2 Ideapads I recently helped friends to buy (cos of their budget/requirements).

That depends on model then. I don’t see any seal on my Legion 7 ssd screw but there’s some Lenovo stickers on the RAM modules.
Guess we can avoid touching anything with seal :)

ksrokiller

Master Member
Reaction score
I'd take 5% off, buy Intel WIFI 6e card for maybe 40 bucks.
BTW, seems no one's interested in Legion Intel variant here?

Realtek cards are fair - not terrible.

This is a decent position to take. It really depends on many unknowns though.

Note that the Legion does not officially allow users to replace parts inside (read the manual for CRU), so it can legally be considered "unauthorised servicing", which is a valid clause to void the warranty. We've already heard allegations around HWZ of one service centre very quick to voiding the warranty for a rather popular Taiwanese brand. If, in the worst case scenario, because of policy changes they decide to be strictly enforcing this clause, then @ksrokiller will lose his warranty on the machine.

It must be said that nearly all service centres in Singapore are run by 3rd party outsourced contractors; Exceptions are Apple's Genius Bar (ie, only their official 3: Jewel, Knightsbridge, and MBS) and I think HP Alexandria and Acer in their Jurong HQ - the rest are run by 3rd party vendors (Yes, A.Lab is a 3rd party contractor, not Apple themselves). Some familiar names include Unisys, Micro2000 (in the past), Servlink, DCSS, AsiaPac, Avertek, etc... We all know the outsourcing game - vendors can change anytime the company decides to.

For now, we count on their good will, but we cannot assume this will continue. If it so happens they rotate service centre after the contract is due, and the new guys decide to activate the warranty voiding clause, then you're on your own.

Thanks i have accepted the 5% refund, Is it normal for legion 5 pro keyboard area abit warm during idle and balance mode?

huytoan132

Reaction score
Hi all

Im looking for a 17 inch notebook with 3 years warranty (kinda desktop replacement) with a budget of 2.5K. Will be using for multipurpose including gaming and video editing. Is the below model / price good?

https://www.lazada.sg/products/free...0.0.6a7c3a25gX5lyO&promotionId=91471121150887
Else please recommend one and provide a link. Thank you.
Thank me later. Intel is still doing slightly better in Premier Pro

https://www.lenovo.com/sg/en/laptops/legion/legion-5-series/Legion-5-Pro-16ITH6H/p/82JD001TSB

Kairos

Reaction score
Thanks i have accepted the 5% refund, Is it normal for legion 5 pro keyboard area abit warm during idle and balance mode?

Your WLAN is RTL8852AE?

yeah its me with the realtek cards. i could easily swap out the card with an intel one but decided to try going with the technical support route since ive got the premium care warranty. they have arranged an onsite engineer to drop by to take a look/replace card. will update again!

Evening!

Any update from Lenovo Engineer?

PS reported random dc. But no update since Jul?

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
received last evening as stated, very impressed with the speed of delivery

Lucky for you
My thinkbook order 11th Aug expected shipping date 31 Oct. 2 weeks ago it was same as yours, to be shipped 17 Sept, but last week pushed back to 31st Oct.... sibeh sian

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lucky for you
My thinkbook order 11th Aug expected shipping date 31 Oct. 2 weeks ago it was same as yours, to be shipped 17 Sept, but last week pushed back to 31st Oct.... sibeh sian
My thinkpad order 5 Aug t14 gen 2 pushed back to 15oct shipped 22oct as well

eting72

Reaction score
Lucky for you
maybe my model not as popular...

huytoan132

Reaction score
my friend using Legion 7 5900HX, he complains AMD is sluggish in Cad & Civil3D software, will switch back to Intel soon. My software works fine though hehe :s12:

Last edited:

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
my friend using Legion 7 5900HX, he complains AMD is sluggish in Cad & Civil3D software, will switch back to Intel soon. My software works fine though hehe
bounce.gif

he must be using outdated versions provided by his company and likely unoptimized .over here its smoother.

huytoan132

Reaction score
he must be using outdated versions provided by his company and likely unoptimized .over here its smoother.
he's using 2021 version. It only happens intermittently.
Actually I also experience some sluggish after laptop wake up from sleep, not quite sure if it's Lenovo power management or AMD issue...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.