AMD Ryzen Notebook discussion | Intel or AMD for notebook? AMD Excellent CPU+GPU performance, sharing concurrent models reviews.

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thunderbolt is for intel versions only, ryzen has regular type c. am also eyeing the probook 635, loses 1 type c but 1 type c is likely more than enough for me.
For now, this is technically true. But the fully implemented USB4 has Thunderbolt support. Future AMD laptops will likely come with TB support. The main issue is that manufacturers may choose not to enable TB support in USB4 for product differentiation, adding to the confusion.

1 USB-C port is definitely not enough for me. :s13: Other than one being used as the charging port, my security keys are USB-C/NFC. My external SSDs are also USB-C for full 10Gbps support. The second port is important for me.

Also, it is good to be forward looking in new tech. The less manufacturers move on to the newer standards, the more likely the standard will stagnate. I'm of the view that USB-A slots should be phasing out and more full-function USB-C ports being introduced. The industry is so messed up that even USB-C ports are not full function, which is upsetting. From the lack of charging, to a lack of USB 3.2 Gen 2 support, to in future the withdrawal of Thunderbolt support for "product differentiation" nonsense. Just set a fixed standard and not allow manufacturers to give less than that. It'll drive standards adoption better.

From a practical perspective, we all like being able to charge our devices with a single type of cable, rather than hunt for multiple different connectors. It's shocking that at the end of 2021, we can still buy devices being charged by MicroUSB. And Apple's idiocy in sticking with Lightning for the iPhone 13 does not help matters.

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
How long ur wait time?

My think pad I waited for 3 months.
Shipped yesterday, coming next tuesday

By ups?
My laptop now is at incheon(korea) for 2 days without any futther updates :(

edit: it finally departed incheon at 11.50pm. Hopefully it'll come over to Singapore next and not make another pit stop at japan or vietnam

Last edited:

jinlong0

Master Member
Reaction score
For now, this is technically true. But the fully implemented USB4 has Thunderbolt support. Future AMD laptops will likely come with TB support. The main issue is that manufacturers may choose not to enable TB support in USB4 for product differentiation, adding to the confusion.

1 USB-C port is definitely not enough for me. :s13: Other than one being used as the charging port, my security keys are USB-C/NFC. My external SSDs are also USB-C for full 10Gbps support. The second port is important for me.

Also, it is good to be forward looking in new tech. The less manufacturers move on to the newer standards, the more likely the standard will stagnate. I'm of the view that USB-A slots should be phasing out and more full-function USB-C ports being introduced. The industry is so messed up that even USB-C ports are not full function, which is upsetting. From the lack of charging, to a lack of USB 3.2 Gen 2 support, to in future the withdrawal of Thunderbolt support for "product differentiation" nonsense. Just set a fixed standard and not allow manufacturers to give less than that. It'll drive standards adoption better.

From a practical perspective, we all like being able to charge our devices with a single type of cable, rather than hunt for multiple different connectors. It's shocking that at the end of 2021, we can still buy devices being charged by MicroUSB. And Apple's idiocy in sticking with Lightning for the iPhone 13 does not help matters.
good thing about HP Elitebook is that it offers a dedicated charging port along with 2 USB Type-C ports

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
good thing about HP Elitebook is that it offers a dedicated charging port along with 2 USB Type-C ports
Or you could follow Apple and have all 4 USB-C ports charging capable. Power Delivery is part of the standard, so there is no need for proprietary chargers when your port is capable of 100W of power.

My point was to support the standard fully, not give half an implementation and cut out features just to make other products in your line up look better.

USB-C charging was a normal thing as of 2018 for PC laptops. Don't get why in 2021 there are still proprietary chargers for many laptops that don't require >100W, which is most laptops without a high-powered GPU.

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Or you could follow Apple and have all 4 USB-C ports charging capable. Power Delivery is part of the standard, so there is no need for proprietary chargers when your port is capable of 100W of power.

My point was to support the standard fully, not give half an implementation and cut out features just to make other products in your line up look better.

USB-C charging was a normal thing as of 2018 for PC laptops. Don't get why in 2021 there are still proprietary chargers for many laptops that don't require >100W, which is most laptops without a high-powered GPU.

macbook pro welly sexpensive.
I can buy a legion slim 7 and a 27" 144hz 2k gaming monitor with the money for the cheapest 16inch mbp :(

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I can buy a legion slim 7 and a 27" 144hz 2k gaming monitor with the money for the cheapest 16inch mbp :(
Ah yes, pricing strategies are another topic altogether.

My point was more that Apple at least gives full hardware support on the standards they choose to adopt.

huytoan132

Reaction score
apple vs orange. Macbook Pro excels in certain workloads, even my Legion 7 cannot compete.
At 3k price, base 14" has better screen, keyboard, webcam, speaker, 3 TB ports, etc. compared to Legion slim 7. Only downsize is software compatibility & cannot play many games natively.

Pricing strategy is also different. Here in SG, Lenovo have good deals while In US, Macbook Pro is much cheaper.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
By ups?
My laptop now is at incheon(korea) for 2 days without any futther updates :(

edit: it finally departed incheon at 11.50pm. Hopefully it'll come over to Singapore next and not make another pit stop at japan or vietnam
what your status ah,

my order stuck in shanghai facility leh. supposed to arrive tommorow de

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
what your status ah,

my order stuck in shanghai facility leh. supposed to arrive tommorow de

Oh, UPS is very nice. As this 2 years everyone cannot travel, they give free holiday trip and my laptop happen to be one of the lucky winners, so UPS brought my laptop to south korea for holiday
Then after 2d1n holidaying at south korea, UPS brought my laptop back to shenzhen, probably repack luggage to come over to Singapore.

1635758996420.png

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh, UPS is very nice. As this 2 years everyone cannot travel, they give free holiday trip and my laptop happen to be one of the lucky winners, so UPS brought my laptop to south korea for holiday
Then after 2d1n holidaying at south korea, UPS brought my laptop back to shenzhen, probably repack luggage to come over to Singapore.

View attachment 29849
My having rnr in kimchi land as well

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My having rnr in kimchi land as well

Maybe is freebie trip thrown in by UPS :oops:

Mine last night 3am left shenzhen, morning 7am reach changi. 10am out for delivery.
BUT this week I not wfh :cry: I not at home to recieve it. Hope my hard hearing parent can hear the door knock. If not delivery delay again :cry: :cry:

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe is freebie trip thrown in by UPS :oops:

Mine last night 3am left shenzhen, morning 7am reach changi. 10am out for delivery.
BUT this week I not wfh :cry: I not at home to recieve it. Hope my hard hearing parent can hear the door knock. If not delivery delay again :cry: :cry:
Rook rike ups not so ups in the first place

huytoan132

Reaction score
Damn, my parcel just arrived at Incheon from Shanghai too! What are they doing, why going around lol

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Damn, my parcel just arrived at Incheon from Shanghai too! What are they doing, why going around lol
:unsure: :unsure: either lenovo company tio their holiday giveaway, or UPS shenzhen is so backwards that they don't have automated system, rely on manual sorting of packages and this one idiot sorter cannot understand the difference between Singapore and South Korea.

SpecialKeyboardService

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

:unsure: :unsure: either lenovo company tio their holiday giveaway, or UPS shenzhen is so backwards that they don't have automated system, rely on manual sorting of packages and this one idiot sorter cannot understand the difference between Singapore and South Korea.

cos lenovo uses the cheapest delivery method from ups de.

like imagine you traveling from jurong to changi airport.
take grab or taxi is the most ex de.

take bus machiam is 2 dollar but ***** long as fk.

it seems that it is more profitable for ups to travel to kimchi land, then to shenzhen

from shenzhen to sinkiepore seems to be most cost effective.....

huytoan132

Reaction score
Actually the service level is UPS Worldwide Expedited, not Express Saver, which explain why it's slower than previous packages. Not sure how many bucks Lenovo is saving per package :ROFLMAO:

Vegitto

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Actually the service level is UPS Worldwide Expedited, not Express Saver, which explain why it's slower than previous packages. Not sure how many bucks Lenovo is saving per package :ROFLMAO:

Says express saver for mine though

1635834926878.png

Seems more likely UPS charge lenovo express saver money but deliver expedited service

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.