Android TV Box

tmster

Reaction score
Need some help with getting a fast usb flash drive for my android tv. Is the Sandisk Extreme Go good enough for the job, or do i need something better?

I tried a cheap kioxia flash drive which was shiit slow and got very hot. Need some recommendations on which flash drive to get. Thanks.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Need some help with getting a fast usb flash drive for my android tv. Is the Sandisk Extreme Go good enough for the job, or do i need something better?

I tried a cheap kioxia flash drive which was shiit slow and got very hot. Need some recommendations on which flash drive to get. Thanks.

Why do you need to use a USB Flash drive? DO NOT install too many apps. In general it is not a good idea to install many apps on an Android TV OS device, especially for Android TV, which tens to have a lower end CPU or with low memory configuration.

For my Mi Box S (2GB RAM 8GB Storage device), even though I like to play with some apps, I always keep 1GB or above space.

tmster

Reaction score
Why do you need to use a USB Flash drive? DO NOT install too many apps. In general it is not a good idea to install many apps on an Android TV OS device, especially for Android TV, which tens to have a lower end CPU or with low memory configuration.

For my Mi Box S (2GB RAM 8GB Storage device), even though I like to play with some apps, I always keep 1GB or above space.

I'm using it for my android tv, not an android box. Taking into account the system apps which can't be remove there is only half of the 8gb left to install apps. I don't even play around with apps, and i generally try to avoid side-loading stuff. All i have on the internal storage are apps that i need like netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc.

Even 1gb isn't a lot these days, try to install a game and half of that is gone. I also have a mibox which didn't fill up that fast because of less system apps.

boonkang

Reaction score

What do you do -- with the USB drive plug-in to the TV?

Do you only read media (photos / videos etc.) from the USB drive? Or you do both read & write to the USB drive when using it on the TV?

(If you're ONLY reading media from the USB drive, there are ways to access your media over the network on your TV instead of using USB drives -- but that's out of scope of this post :) )

To be specific, how fast USB drive do you think you actually need?

Nobody can guarantee -- by recommending you a higher performance USB drive -- that this will resolve your issue.

The main problem is that we don't know what is the actual level of read/write performance required in your case.

Most TVs' USB ports are only USB 2.0. Theortically the max throughput for USB 2.0 is 480Mbps.

But in real life...the actual throughput we get from the TV's USB port is MUCH LOWER than 480Mbps.

Because most previous/current generation of TVs' built-in hardware (CPU/chipset's) performance is not very high -- and thus is unable to operable the USB port at anywhere even close to 480Mbps.

Also, note that writing to the USB drive is always much slower than reading from the USB drive; so if you need high speed write performance -- then you need both high grade USB drive + high performance TV hardware !!

Sometimes, even just by switching to a different app on the TV to access the USB drive -- can have a different read/write performance !!
(because some apps needs more processing power to operate -- while some apps needs less processing power)

If your TV's hardware is basic / entry level; even if you switch to a better USB drive -- there's a chance that you may not get much faster speed when accessing the USB drive.
(because in such a case, the main bottle neck is the TV's low performance hardware -- rather than the quality of the USB drive itself)

All of us have TV(s) in our home -- but whenever we buy a new TV -- hardly anyone ever ask/find out what is the real life maximum read/write speed when using USB port on a particular model of TV.

If you know the real life max performance of your TV when operating its' USB ports -- you can buy just the sufficient grade of USB drive to match the capability of your TV.

If you currently (are) not sure what is the real life (max) performance from your TV when accessing USB drive -- then just buy the best USB drive you can budget for & see if it helps.

Last edited:

tmster

Reaction score
If your TV's hardware is basic / entry level; even if you switch to a better USB drive -- there's a chance that you may not get much faster speed when accessing the USB drive.
(because in such a case, the main bottle neck is the TV's low performance hardware -- rather than the quality of the USB drive itself)

All of us have TV(s) in our home -- but whenever we buy a new TV -- hardly anyone ever ask/find out what is the real life maximum read/write speed when using USB port on a particular model of TV.

If you know the real life max performance of your TV when operating its' USB ports -- you can buy just the sufficient grade of USB drive to match the capability of your TV.

If you currently (are) not sure what is the real life (max) performance from your TV when accessing USB drive -- then just buy the best USB drive you can budget for & see if it helps.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I didn't know there is so much to looking into and therefore bought the cheap kioxia thinking any usb flash drive will suffice. My plan is to move some apps to the usb drive and free up the internal space which currently stands at 600mb available. My TV has USB 3.0, but i have no idea what chip it is using.

Extreme Go is about the fastest of the lower range Sandisk flash drives. Beyond that i will be looking at SSD class in the form of Extreme Pro and external SSD drives. It will be great if anyone with experience of running apps from usb can share what flash drive or storage they are using. Without any feedback, i guess the only way like you have suggested is to buy the drive and try it out.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using it for my android tv, not an android box. Taking into account the system apps which can't be remove there is only half of the 8gb left to install apps. I don't even play around with apps, and i generally try to avoid side-loading stuff. All i have on the internal storage are apps that i need like netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc.

Even 1gb isn't a lot these days, try to install a game and half of that is gone. I also have a mibox which didn't fill up that fast because of less system apps.

whether it is android tv or android box, it is similar (almost the same).

normally there is 5GB internal storage left , it is actually a lot of storage for installation of apps. I can install 50 apps easily.

if you are only using netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc, 5GB should be more than sufficient. you should check whether you have wrongly configure the apps if the space is not suffcient.

If you want to play android games, it is better to buy nvidia shield.

BiggieZee

Reaction score
So from the knowledge i learned, all downloads like movies, apks, game emulators etc shud use external storage n Internal storage only for apps?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So from the knowledge i learned, all downloads like movies, apks, game emulators etc shud use external storage n Internal storage only for apps?

Yes in general if you have a 8GB box or even 16GB box. Download contents should be put in external stroage like external HDD or NAS.

If you have a 32GB/64GB box then probably you can put some of the downloaded contents in the TV box.

tmster

Reaction score
whether it is android tv or android box, it is similar (almost the same).

normally there is 5GB internal storage left , it is actually a lot of storage for installation of apps. I can install 50 apps easily.

if you are only using netflix, apple tv, disney plus etc, 5GB should be more than sufficient. you should check whether you have wrongly configure the apps if the space is not suffcient.

If you want to play android games, it is better to buy nvidia shield.

You are spot on, i have about 4gb+ internal storage. Besides those standard streaming apps i also have a few others, so about 20+ apps or so. Anyway i did some cleaning up today and free up more space. It now says 1gb available to use. The tvbanywhere's cache alone is over 200mb, don't know what it is doing to take up so much space.

mdax23

Reaction score
Any easy to use movie/video manager or frontend app (except kodi) to organized the movies in your local drive to recommend?

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are spot on, i have about 4gb+ internal storage. Besides those standard streaming apps i also have a few others, so about 20+ apps or so. Anyway i did some cleaning up today and free up more space. It now says 1gb available to use. The tvbanywhere's cache alone is over 200mb, don't know what it is doing to take up so much space.
install sdmaid and run once a month.

boonkang

Reaction score
Any easy to use movie/video manager or frontend app (except kodi) to organized the movies in your local drive to recommend?

Plex ??

Start at this link below:

If above link not enough info (for you), Google / search more info on Plex on the Internet.

If you think Plex is what you're looking for -- download & try it.
(If Plex is not what you're looking for, then go Internet & search for something else.)

You already eliminate Kodi, so if Plex is not what you're looking for -- then you've to look for media front end / media management solution(s) other than both Kodi & Plex.. Haha..

tmster

Reaction score
Not sure if this is new, but seems like MeWatch now has a native android tv app. No need to chromecast from phone liao.

mdax23

Reaction score
Plex ??

Start at this link below:

If above link not enough info (for you), Google / search more info on Plex on the Internet.

If you think Plex is what you're looking for -- download & try it.
(If Plex is not what you're looking for, then go Internet & search for something else.)

You already eliminate Kodi, so if Plex is not what you're looking for -- then you've to look for media front end / media management solution(s) other than both Kodi & Plex.. Haha..
Thanks. Will try out Plex.

Kodi too heavyweight, will hang up the whole system. Prefer something lightweight.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is new, but seems like MeWatch now has a native android tv app. No need to chromecast from phone liao.
it is still buggy. e.g you can't go back to mewatch homepage after viewing movies in vod sections.

BiggieZee

Reaction score
I'd bought the shield pro n realised the graphic bit wash out on my Philips tv. Any recommendations or ways on how to adjust it? The tv model is philips 55put6103 with 4k hdr10

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, my ublock TV box broke down. Any recommendations for a basic TV box so i can use my subscription wit MyIPTV4k? Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.