Anti virus recommendation. Breach of password.

Granzon

Reaction score
Hi,

My computer has just been reformatted. I would like to know which is the most suitable anti virus in the market that will offer very good protection (and relative ease of use) and balanced with reasonable cost against the myriad of anti-viruses out there.

I just wish to also say I am very disappointed with McAfee anti virus as I got a virus (password breach) while under the "protection" of this anti virus program. I am just a normal user so such blatant virus attacks are also breach of trust between me as the consumer and the anti virus provider.

Of the other anti virus out there, I know there are:

1. Norton 360
2. Microsoft Defender
3. Bit Defender
4. Heimdal Security (is this good?)

Kindly advise. the last thing I needed is another password breach. In such times where the use of online services is so ubiqitous , the last thing we needed as a consumer is to be worried of keying in our passwords on our own computers, even when we supposedly have the protection of an anti virus program.

Advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
password breach is user issue. dont use same passwords for everything

Granzon

Reaction score
I don't really understand. even if I use same password, if there is no virus that can track my pass word, how will the hacker know my password?

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
password breach is user issue. dont use same passwords for everything

I don't really understand. even if I use same password, if there is no virus that can track my pass word, how will the hacker know my password?
I concur that password breach is user issue. If you use same password for everything...a bot software could just run a scan on most common website/ social network with your email + password and Keyin the same...try luck...

Use a password Mgr to generate long, complex, very mixed, hard to rmb password...and store all the passwords there. U just need to rmb 1 tough password to unlock all these passwords...nonetheless...there is no foolproof solution to everything. Password mgr also can get hack...

i don’t think anti-virus is a comprehensive solution nowadays with current context....minimally must do cloud based real time endpoint total security. there’s a lot out there in the market with different budget and features...personally I use Panda Adaptive Defense 360 and is pleased with the protection for close to 6yrs... I’m not saying this is the best...good enough for mine usage.

so together with this Panda + a password mgr. Kept me from all these ********...password mgr I use 1Password. Gotten a family subscription so that my wife and kids can use it...quite worth it I should say..

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
breach of password isnt caused by virus on your computer. it is caused by websites keeping your password in plain text then the website got hacked.

firesong

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Passwords are stored in hashes, typically MD5.

They can be reversed against a dictionary attack or cracked. With the power of modern computing and leveraging the computational prowess of graphics cards (which is what they do for cryptocurrency mining), the process can take mere seconds for passwords that are not already in the MD5 dictionary.

Hence, the best solution for password security is to use completely different passwords for every single login. It's not humanly possible, so people use password managers for this to generate completely random passwords. I've used 1password (best imo, except for recurring cost), Lastpass, and now host my own Bitwarden server for my family's passwords. I don't use Facebook/Google/Microsoft/Web browser password managers - perhaps the only "hardware brand" one I actually have some trust in is Apple's under iCloud, but that's platform locked so I'd avoid it anyway.

The simple reason for this is: if you repeat passwords and your one password gets compromised (it's usually not only the password that's leaked, but your email address, phone no, NRIC if stored, address, name, dob, etc..), the user with the credentials can easily use the email + password combination to attempt to log in to other sites. If he gets into your email, email 2FA is useless since he can always obtain the 2FA codes to enter the other "secure sites".

So for best case online security habits, a good password manager with unique 16+ characters long passwords with all combinations (upper, lower, number, symbols) for each account, alongside 2FA on a FIDO2/Webauthn hardware key. Email and SMS are fair but are not secure enough. I don't fancy software keys like Blizzard/Google/Microsoft/whatever Authenticator as they are not so easy to transfer to new phones and can themselves cause problems - I've been locked out of accounts before because of a glitch in the transfer process.

This way, even if one account gets compromised, it's impossible to log into your other accounts - unless of course it happened to be your password manager that got hacked - so use a very good, strong, long password and 2FA in order to protect that vault!

Back to your original question on AV, I use Kaspersky Total Security.

Apex

Reaction score

if you use the same password for all website.

Example:

if facebook password database was been hack and someone download the password of all fb user.

You password would be shared by hacker and they can just use the known password, userid and email to login all your other accounts.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.