Any better deals for 500Mbps Fibre Broadband?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If sign M1 need to use their router meh?
There is no need to use "their router" for both Starhub and M1 if you are looking only at the big 3 ISP locally. In fact if you sign up for 500Mbps, I don't think you will get any router at all even if you are a new subscriber. Free router applies only to 1Gbps and above usually.

ixora2007

Reaction score
Currently on the 500M starhub plan but losing connection intermittently recently. Can it be the router issue as it is very old already? Possible to change the router myself or need Starhub to do some configuration as the ONT and router came together when I subscribe. I don't intend to recontract.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singtel legacy plan since dial-up - 500Mbps at 28.90

Nice one, that is good thing about legacy plans which does not increase price when out of contract. SingTel normally does not offer 500Mbps plan to the public but I saw reports of S$34.9 per month for 500Mbps offered with free digital voice.

I am paying S$29.9 per month for Starhub 500Mbps Fibre Internet. Actually it was S$29.9 per month for 100Mbps when I upgraded from 16Mbps Cable Online in June 2014, at that time it came with free Starhub Cable TV Lite and free digital voice, later the speed was upgraded to 500Mbps but they took away free digital voice and then free Cable TV Lite was discontinued in late 2019. I made a mistake of recontract in Sept 2018 when I cancelled the digital voice. Some people got free upgrade to 1Gbps at the same out of contract price of S$29.9 per month, which is a very good deal.

M1 500Mbps may still be of best value since it comes with free digital voice.

Viewquest has 500Mbps plan as well but with CGNAT (no public IP) so you may need to pay monthly fee for the static IP.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently on the 500M starhub plan but losing connection intermittently recently. Can it be the router issue as it is very old already? Possible to change the router myself or need Starhub to do some configuration as the ONT and router came together when I subscribe. I don't intend to recontract.

No need to recontract. You can just get any router in the market (as long as you do not buy SingTel issued free routers which only work with SingTel due to built-in Singtel VLAN support).

Starhub does not need to do anything. ONT does not have user accessible configuration. So you only need to configure the router.

Configuration for most of the router is simple enough. Set up the router to use DHCP on the WAN side and then change the wireless SSID/password will do for most people.

ixora2007

Reaction score
No need to recontract. You can just get any router in the market (as long as you do not buy SingTel issued free routers which only work with SingTel due to built-in Singtel VLAN support).

Starhub does not need to do anything. ONT does not have user accessible configuration. So you only need to configure the router.

Configuration for most of the router is simple enough. Set up the router to use DHCP on the WAN side and then change the wireless SSID/password will do for most people.
thanks for the advice...sounds simple enough.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.