Any Compact Camera with Mechanical Zoom ?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any recommendation ?

1 inch or larger sensor
Mechanical Zoom
Touch AF
400g or less body weight
EVF ( bonus if have )
USB-C charging ( bonus if have )

Example of fixed lens compact with mechanical zoom ( Fuji X30 )

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This sounds like the Sony RX100 series.
Doesn't the RX100 camera have an motorized zoom ? I'm thinking more like Fuji x30 where you zoom by turning the lens barrel ( that doesn't have any motor built into the lens )

Last edited:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's definitely not digital zoom either ;)

But as far as compacts go, the RX100 is the one to beat.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's definitely not digital zoom either ;)

But as far as compacts go, the RX100 is the one to beat.
Based on what I have read, it's definitely a " motorized/powered " zoom as I initally thought.
( i.e. you cannot turn the lens if the camera is off )
Whereas a "mechanical" lens can still physically turn when camera is off.
Looks like I have to stick with my Pany GX7 + 12-32mm for now as my travel cam. šŸ˜…

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Based on what I have read, it's definitely a " motorized/powered " zoom as I initally thought.
( i.e. you cannot turn the lens if the camera is off )
Whereas a "mechanical" lens can still physically turn when camera is off.
Looks like I have to stick with my Pany GX7 + 12-32mm for now as my travel cam. šŸ˜…
Oh you've a pretty decent camera.

Just checking though, why is a mechanical lens a requirement for you? Usually most people check if it's a real or digital zoom where compacts are concerned :)

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh you've a pretty decent camera.

Just checking though, why is a mechanical lens a requirement for you? Usually most people check if it's a real or digital zoom where compacts are concerned :)
I'm more into street photography so no patience for motorized zoom to get to the focal length i want in the moment :p

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm more into street photography so no patience for motorized zoom to get to the focal length i want in the moment :p
Ah ic!
Perfect reason to want such.

I'm personally using a Sony A6000 and its motorized zoom lens attachment is reasonably fast for event photography needs. Can be faster but not complaining for its price.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah ic!
Perfect reason to want such.

I'm personally using a Sony A6000 and its motorized zoom lens attachment is reasonably fast for event photography needs. Can be faster but not complaining for its price.
If maybe, Sony RX100 can preset step zoom ( still not ideal ), I can think about it.
Example, 24 / 35 / 50 mm ( focal length jump with each turn of the lens ring )

Last edited:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If maybe, Sony RX100 can preset step zoom ( still not ideal ), I can think about it.
Example, 24 / 35 / 50 mm ( focal length jump with each turn of the lens ring )

I've checked with Sony and they've also tested this on an older RX100 model -- this functionality is available!

"So the RX SERIES do have a step zoom. Need to get into Settings, select STEP for Zoom Function on Ring, and then go to Custom Key Settings and select Zoom in the Control Ring function. This worked on an old RX100M3 model and should be the same for all other newer RX100 models.

With this, he can use the Ring to select the focal lengths. In my case, it goes from 24 to 28 to 35 to 50 to 70."

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.