Any idea how to find out the OS of your docker image (without runtime command)?

Azzizz81

Suspended
Reaction score
One way without accessing the container is to get the image ID and check out Docker hub I guess

EDIT: I tried out a bit. I can't consistently find the image by the RepoDigest. Even when I do find a matching one that links to the code in Github, its just a line in the Docker file which says "FROM debian:buster-slim". Further digging is required for the information you need.

Last edited:

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One way without accessing the container is to get the image ID and check out Docker hub I guess

EDIT: I tried out a bit. I can't consistently find the image by the RepoDigest. Even when I do find a matching one that links to the code in Github, its just a line in the Docker file which says "FROM debian:buster-slim". Further digging is required for the information you need.
Any ideas how to fix issues from Docker scan?

Example:
  • Vulnerable module: expat/libexpat1
  • Introduced through: expat/libexpat1@2.2.0-2+deb9u1
  • Fixed in: 2.2.0-2+deb9u3
How do I know which base image version is using Debian 9 update 3?

Trader11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it easier to just update the base image to the latest and hope it fixes the security issues?

Azzizz81

Suspended
Reaction score
Is it easier to just update the base image to the latest and hope it fixes the security issues?
That's the first thing I would try. If it the scan still reports an issue, then I would reach out to the nginx community or read their bug tracker and see what they plan to do about it

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.