Looking to change to tesla model Y when its out this year in SG

Anything to look out for? like charging station, range etc etc

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi any tesla/EV owner here?

Looking to change to tesla model Y when its out this year in SG

Anything to look out for? like charging station, range etc etc
buy the performance model, if you dont have dedicated charger, standard range real world usage is 220 to 300 km, you will keep finding place to charge. performance model using nca battery, and got real world range like 350km to 400km, and of course the acceleration . remember to test drive the performance before you buy the standard range, lots of model 3 standard range driver regret not buying the performance range
performance price range difference is about 40+k, but it come with dual motor, instead of single motor, different battery pack, nca vs lfp, as main difference , and awd as compare to rwd.
basically once you go model y performance, you wont regret

Last edited:

Dilemma6

Master Member
Reaction score
buy the performance model, if you dont have dedicated charger, standard range real world usage is 220 to 300 km, you will keep finding place to charge. performance model using nca battery, and got real world range like 350km to 400km, and of course the acceleration . remember to test drive the performance before you buy the standard range, lots of model 3 standard range driver regret not buying the performance range
performance price range difference is about 40+k, but it come with dual motor, instead of single motor, different battery pack, nca vs lfp, as main difference , and awd as compare to rwd.
basically once you go model y performance, you wont regret
Im currently staying in HDB, maybe moving to private when my BTO hits MOP.

so bad only 220-330km, means every 5-6 days must charge.

from what i read online, the performance model NCA battery is not as good as LFP?
like battery charging cycle and charging till 100% will harm the battery.

You driving standard or performance model 3?

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im currently staying in HDB, maybe moving to private when my BTO hits MOP.

so bad only 220-330km, means every 5-6 days must charge.

from what i read online, the performance model NCA battery is not as good as LFP?
like battery charging cycle and charging till 100% will harm the battery.

You driving standard or performance model 3?
it does not matter hdb or condo, the only thing that matter is landed for dedicated charging facility , or at your work place. yes cause of traffic light, acceleration and such the range is 220+, and if you charge at 20% battery or some times nee to run errand you will start to charge daily. and that is what i see from the tesla community.
model 3 performance uses nca battery, like wise for model y performance, only the standard model uses lfp battery.
nca is lighter is better in charging using super charger as per google.

Is Daily supercharging bad for Tesla?
Tesla uses NCA type li-ion batteries which do no degrate with high charge and discharge rates as compared to other manufactures who use the LFP type. LFP types li-ion will degrade faster if we subject it to higher charge and discharge rates. Hence there is no problem with regularly fast charging Tesla cars.

yes i drive the model 3 performance, as the price difference is only 40k, but you got a supercar performance. i ask for a test drive and immediately book the 1 with white seats, as basically the car is like a wonder of the century at such price point. technology is unmatched, acceleration also unmatched, over taking, handling, is also superd, cabin is bigger then an e class, big boot space, 4 pot brembo brake, plus 20 inch rim. frameless window. everyday drive is just waiting for ppl to accelerate to stop me from overtaking, and troll the crap out of them. only down side is road tax is $5300 , and it will increase, and insurance is $2600.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it does not matter hdb or condo, the only thing that matter is landed for dedicated charging facility , or at your work place. yes cause of traffic light, acceleration and such the range is 220+, and if you charge at 20% battery or some times nee to run errand you will start to charge daily. and that is what i see from the tesla community.
model 3 performance uses nca battery, like wise for model y performance, only the standard model uses lfp battery.
nca is lighter is better in charging using super charger as per google.

Is Daily supercharging bad for Tesla?
Tesla uses NCA type li-ion batteries which do no degrate with high charge and discharge rates as compared to other manufactures who use the LFP type. LFP types li-ion will degrade faster if we subject it to higher charge and discharge rates. Hence there is no problem with regularly fast charging Tesla cars.

yes i drive the model 3 performance, as the price difference is only 40k, but you got a supercar performance. i ask for a test drive and immediately book the 1 with white seats, as basically the car is like a wonder of the century at such price point. technology is unmatched, acceleration also unmatched, over taking, handling, is also superd, cabin is bigger then an e class, big boot space, 4 pot brembo brake, plus 20 inch rim. frameless window. everyday drive is just waiting for ppl to accelerate to stop me from overtaking, and troll the crap out of them. only down side is road tax is $5300 , and it will increase, and insurance is $2600.
Maybe i will look into it few years later as 2nd car. The RT and insurance really need to overcome it mentally.

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe i will look into it few years later as 2nd car. The RT and insurance really need to overcome it mentally.
tesla it not an economic car, even now the lowest entry version of tesla is a model 3 and it is made from CHINA!
even like such the omv is at 58k, and that is at e class , or macan omv range.
the road tax is kinda fair for tesla, as it is a 500 horse car, that required no petrol. if you got access to solar panel all the range is FOC

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think some mod to the tesla's suspension will make them nice car to drive.

However, I think the near future plans by the gov or the directions where local ev are heading doesn't seem to sustain long term ownership of ev for masses who do not stay in landed.

1) currently mass construction of slow ac charger, 3.7kw to 7kw. Ev ownership, by theory, changes the way driver manage the mobility of the vehicle - charge as and when possible. An usable 50kw battery would usually take in 80% to 90% of the watt from charger. Charging an usable 50kw battery with 3kw (from 3.7kw ac charger) would around 16+ hours. If the availability of charger is slow charger and all the dc chargers are being taken away, literally, one end up waiting very long to charge their ev.

2) Now ev committee is a close-knit interest group. Helping one another, promoting ev. When everyone starts to own ev, there will be many who are not in these groups, could even be a layman. Once there are huge ownership, ice-ing lots might end up block by another ev. It could even that those who had charged finish, able to pay overcharge fees, would continue use the chargers. Ev that could take in 50kwh could hog a 200kwh charger since all these matching of watt is too technical.

3) Future tech might not be backward compatible. Many feel that the in near future there will be ultra fast charge (5mins). However, need both the ev hardware and the charger hardware to support. Current ev would unlikely to support the ultra fast charging. So either change another ev or hogging the ultra fast charger with the slow charging ev. Change another ev defeats the environmental ideology. Hogging ultra fast charge makes those desperate for ultra fast charging (need juice to rush to hospital) wasted their time and possibly regret the use of ev.

So not rushing to get ev until either very high ratio of slow ac charger to support ev ownership or mass increase of super fast dc chargers (200kwh and above) or massive reduction in car ownership.

Last edited:

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed ev is actually a performance toy car for you to play actually, as it got instant torque .
It a luxury and is too expensive for the masses .
And the road tax just make no sense , when it is 0 emission and road tax is at 5300 a year compare to a 4800 road tax a year super car like Ferrari

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes total is 45k rebate off tax, so mean you car selling price is lesser 45k,
you can see form this link as below, look at the ves rebate of 25k plus eeai rebate of 20k, so basically if your car is 300k for basic cost, it will drop to 255k instead
https://onemotoring.lta.gov.sg/cont...ying/Car_Cost_Update/M032-Car_Cost_Update.pdf

thanks for sharing. 45k over 10 yrs kinda offset the exorbitant road tax. not v sure if i hv looked at e table correctly but it says MG ev rebate as $25k only

also i suppose the sgcarmart price has probably accounted for this rebate too?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
mg max rebate is not 45k but is at -25,000 -10,207 = $35207 instead, and selling price is at $129,833 in december, this data is very good as u can actually see how much the agent is asking. it will give you a very good nego position.
look at e class for example the omv is only at $53857, and the total basic cost including tax is at $233716, but the agent asking price is at $316888. so you know la what to do

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tesla it not an economic car, even now the lowest entry version of tesla is a model 3 and it is made from CHINA!
even like such the omv is at 58k, and that is at e class , or macan omv range.
the road tax is kinda fair for tesla, as it is a 500 horse car, that required no petrol. if you got access to solar panel all the range is FOC.
COO dun matters for me, at least. Luxury brands do have one or more parts that are produced in CHINA on their finished goods as well. Only buyers are not aware of this usually.

shy3r

Reaction score
Tesla probably only for the rich, Imo…

as a 4th car owner, I cannot bring myself to change to Tesla despite my car coe ending in 2023. Reason being is… nobody knows the future… not all jobs are 100% secure, not all business are 100% profit making…

the road tax is so high… just imagine… that month paying insurance renewal + road tax + car instalment.

now u also see why so many people dont pay road tax but still drive around?

yes, u only live once.. I should get what I want… but yeah… if I ever leave the world.. I wont want to leave the debts to my family…

hopefully more EVs are coming with low cost!

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed ev is actually a performance toy car for you to play actually, as it got instant torque .
It a luxury and is too expensive for the masses .
And the road tax just make no sense , when it is 0 emission and road tax is at 5300 a year compare to a 4800 road tax a year super car like Ferrari
Sorry to disagree that all evs are performance toys. Only some evs are. Tesla is not really a performance ev, it is just has temporary fast 0-100. After you try a few times, it gets slower and slower. Poor suspension set up.

A really performance ev has lesser of this losing power over time.

It is not about speed but a whole package from engine performance to the driving dynamics.

Last edited:

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree that all evs are performance toys. Only some evs are. Tesla is not really a performance ev, it is just has temporary fast 0-100. After you try a few times, it gets slower and slower. Poor suspension set up.

A really performance ev has lesser of this losing power over time.

It is not about speed but a whole package from engine performance to the driving dynamics.
What ev got better performance then Tesla , and where do you lose power ? If u want compare Taycan highest spec you should compare to model s placid instead

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What ev got better performance then Tesla , and where do you lose power ? If u want compare Taycan highest spec you should compare to model s placid instead
Dont say 0-100 fast is a performance car.

If you talk about luxury car, I am not looking at price. Yes taycan, but 4s.

You launch both car same amount of time, you see how they retain their 0-100. Tesla will lose it official 3 sec 0-100 timing after 3 launches. That is without saying how their driving dynamics.

I tested both tesla 3 performance and taycan as performance car. Money goes to taycan. At the end of the day, tesla will just be the class as the bmw, Mercedes.

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dont say 0-100 fast is a performance car.

If you talk about luxury car, I am not looking at price. Yes taycan, but 4s.

You launch both car same amount of time, you see how they retain their 0-100. Tesla will lose it official 3 sec 0-100 timing after 3 launches. That is without saying how their driving dynamics.

I tested both tesla 3 performance and taycan as performance car. Money goes to taycan. At the end of the day, tesla will just be the class as the bmw, Mercedes.
The sales figure speak for it self , model 3 is the entry level of Tesla and is top sales in ev. And Taycan should be compare with model s instead of model 3 , and model 3 price difference and Taycan is just too big to even compare . I launch my model 3 performance daily and no issue at all unless you are under 5% battery . Just remember model 3 is the entry of Tesla and omv is at 72 k for made in China , and e200 is at $56 k .

LoUsyGamER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The sales figure speak for it self , model 3 is the entry level of Tesla and is top sales in ev. And Taycan should be compare with model s instead of model 3 , and model 3 price difference and Taycan is just too big to even compare . I launch my model 3 performance daily and no issue at all unless you are under 5% battery . Just remember model 3 is the entry of Tesla and omv is at 72 k for made in China , and e200 is at $56 k .
Good that you enjoy your tesla and fit your needs.

Good that my taycan fits my needs as performance car.

I don't look at sales as Toyota outsell tesla, does it mean Toyota is performance car brand? It is just Toyota fits many people needs, going from point a to point b at affortable prices.

veryhonestguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good that you enjoy your tesla and fit your needs.

Good that my taycan fits my needs as performance car.

I don't look at sales as Toyota outsell tesla, does it mean Toyota is performance car brand? It is just Toyota fits many people needs, going from point a to point b at affortable prices.
Ar Taycan owner no wonder , I am just stating that Taycan should compare with model s , anyway both are ev

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.