Anyone here disable Fast Startup to allow PC to shutdown properly but not hibernate.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lately I email Creative Tech support regarding my Creative Sound Blaster Z issue that I encounter crackling/Popping issue especially when if I turn on the SBX sound
Windows 10 is not like Windows 7, you can use older driver with no issue since Windows 10 will update it
if it detects a out of date driver.

Which is why I wrote to Creative tech to seek assistance regarding the issue, oh boy I didn't except a long email from them which does not relate to the issue I am encounter.
One interesting point they point out which I also agree is:

1. Deactivate the quick start function, as it cannot correctly carry out the required restart for the installation / uninstallation processes.

Help deactivate the quick start function:

-Open the Control Panel and click on Power Options
- Click on the option that links the power buttons on the left.
- Click "Change the setting that is currently unavailable".
- When prompted by UAC, click Yes.
-Under Shutdown Settings, uncheck the "Enable fast startup (recommended)" box, click the "Save changes" button

I will turn off the "Fast Startup" whether for old or new PC as well as whether SSD or Hard disk.
As "Fast Startup" is enabled, it basically put the PC into sleep so it can wake up faster when you turn
the PC on again.

Over time what I noticed if this is turn on, it may cause PC unable to turn on with memory error.
For those who have memory issues, opt to turn off "Fast startup." than proceed to RMA the RAM.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
  • When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will.

Haman

Reaction score
Does it help if you switch off the power point on the wall as well?

tsteo77

Reaction score
Lately I email Creative Tech support regarding my Creative Sound Blaster Z issue that I encounter crackling/Popping issue
especially when if I turn on the SBX sound
Windows 10 is not like Windows 7, you can use older driver with no issue since Windows 10 will update it
if it detects a out of date driver.

Which is why I wrote to Creative tech to seek assistance regarding the issue, oh boy I didn't except a long email from
them which does not relate to the issue I am encounter.
One interesting point they point out which I also agree is:

I know most will leave fast startup on but most do not realize that by enabling this.
PC does not shutdown but go into hibernate, over time the PC will have memory problem.
As hibernate cache files onto the memory but not release them unlike shutdown thus when you
on the PC it is fast.

Long term wise one day the PC will not be able turn on so for those who have memory issue.
Opt to turn this off first and on/off the PC few times before RMA the memory sticks.
Not to mention since most PC are using SSD, Fast Startup is not needed same goes for hard disk.

HDD maybe slow but for Intel PCs you can use Intel Optane memory if it support to boost it's speed.
Point here is let the PC shutdown so it can release the memory, cache etc.
Let the PC start from fresh, better stability and performance than putting it on hibernate.

Another reason why I dislike Windows 10 and prefer Windows 7.

If anyone have opinion regarding this, feel free to share.
I also have sound blaster z, encounter popping sound during loading of OS after
overcolcking the rams too much. Did you try to set your rams speed to defaul ?

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also have sound blaster z, encounter popping sound during loading of OS after
overcolcking the rams too much. Did you try to set your rams speed to defaul ?
I turn on direct mode on SB Command no issue but will monitor.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't use fast startup as a few seconds difference does not matter to me. Anyway, I use Hibernate most of the time and only the occasional cold startup.

Godeau

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
quick start is one of the first things that i turn off, tbh it shouldn't even be the default option

Lastwishes

Reaction score
PC does not shutdown but go into hibernate, over time the PC will have memory problem.
As hibernate cache files onto the memory but not release them unlike shutdown thus when you
on the PC it is fast.

Long term wise one day the PC will not be able turn on so for those who have memory issue.
Opt to turn this off first and on/off the PC few times before RMA the memory sticks.
Not to mention since most PC are using SSD, Fast Startup is not needed same goes for hard disk.

HDD maybe slow but for Intel PCs you can use Intel Optane memory if it support to boost it's speed.
Point here is let the PC shutdown so it can release the memory, cache etc.
Let the PC start from fresh, better stability and performance than putting it on hibernate.

Another reason why I dislike Windows 10 and prefer Windows 7.

If anyone have opinion regarding this, feel free to share.

Minor correction. Hibernate doesn't write to the memory; it writes to disk. Sleep is the one that writes to ram.

Entry Level PC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Creative Drivers are cmi.
TS should just upgrade to USB Sound Card.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
  • When Fast Startup is enabled, your computer doesn’t perform a regular shut down. Since applying new system updates often requires a shutdown, you may not be able to apply updates and turn your computer off. Restart is unaffected, though, so it still performs a full cold shutdown and restart of your system. If a shutdown doesn’t apply your updates, a restart still will.

Minor correction. Hibernate doesn't write to the memory; it writes to disk. Sleep is the one that writes to ram.

Thanks amended my first post.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is what happen to me > https://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=200427&c
BTW what is creative sound command for ?
I am using Intel PC so not sure what causes the issue.
The Creative sound blaster command is a new UI to replaced the old SBX studio software.

sbx.jpg

Can be obtained through Creative website but take note have to disconnect the internet before updating.

techidiot

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Creative Drivers are cmi.
TS should just upgrade to USB Sound Card.
I also have USB and internal, the Creative Digital music premium HD software I owned last time.
Got a issue that sometimes can detect sometimes can't so in the end recycle it.

Entry Level PC

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also have USB and internal, the Creative Digital music premium HD software I owned last time.
Got a issue that sometimes can detect sometimes can't so in the end recycle it.

last time i buy Creative Sound Blaster PLAY! 3,
end up got kns loud hissing sound which Creative NEVER fix and yet still continue to sell
Creative Sound Blaster PLAY! 3.
after that I boycott creative soundcard liao.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.