Anyone read The Machine Stops by E.M. Forster? Thoughts & Reviews?

skinergy

Reaction score
Anyone read this book? Just want to know your thoughts and comments on this book. Its one of my favourite books about the future of Earth.

firsttimebuyer

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone read this book? Just want to know your thoughts and comments on this book. Its one of my favourite books about the future of Earth.
I did read the book a long, long time ago, when I was a teenager.

As a sci-fi book, I thought that it held up really well compared to what we see around us in the present day. I have been meaning to make the time to borrow this book again from NLB.

However, it is a short story format, if I am not wrong, which means that it usually printed as a part of a volume/collection set, so I have some trouble narrowing down the actual title.

skinergy

Reaction score
The current covid situation reminds me of the people living inside the machine. The machine weakens everyone and those we got out of the machine, will die but only the strong can survive.

You should be able to get this as an individual book from NLB. Used to part of the literature works for exams.

skinergy

Reaction score
An excerpt from the book which I found it very memorable

"One young man, Kuno, pleads with his mother via a Skype-like technology, “I want to see you not through the Machine. . . . I want to speak to you not through the wearisome Machine.”

He says to his mother, who is absorbed in her hectic, meaningless life, “We have lost the sense of space. . . . We have lost a part of ourselves. . . . Cannot you see . . . that it is we that are dying, and that down here the only thing that really lives is the Machine?”

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.