Anyone use surface and mac air?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've not used a Surface device, so I cannot comment. But I had a very good experience with the M1 Macbook Air. The reasons are,
1. Mind blowing battery life. You really got to try it to get what I mean. To a perspective of the battery life, I can run it connected to WiFi, Bluetooth on connected to headset, keyboard and mouse, connected to a ultrawide screen 3440x1440, run it for the entire working day this way, and still end up with more than 40% battery at the end of the 9 hours or so. If you are not stressing it much, out of the box, I noted a 1% battery drop after 1 hour of watching YouTube and surfing net. 3% drop after 2 hours.

2. Its fanless. You can use it on a table, your bed, your couch, and it won't shutdown due to overheating. But under sustained heavy load, it will throttle because the SOC will run very hot, but the throttling is not severe. Just this itself, I basically used this as I would with a tablet. While there is no touch screen, but when surfing net, watching video, I think it is not a big deal without touch screen.

Overall, it runs the software and games that I throw at it. But do keep in mind, that MacOS is not very gaming friendly. Most games on Steam for example, don't run. Fortunately for me, the simple games I play works on it. And despite the iGPU, it runs smoothly, as long as you don't run it at native resolution, which may be too much for the iGPU.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've not used a Surface device, so I cannot comment. But I had a very good experience with the M1 Macbook Air. The reasons are,
1. Mind blowing battery life. You really got to try it to get what I mean. To a perspective of the battery life, I can run it connected to WiFi, Bluetooth on connected to headset, keyboard and mouse, connected to a ultrawide screen 3440x1440, run it for the entire working day this way, and still end up with more than 40% battery at the end of the 9 hours or so. If you are not stressing it much, out of the box, I noted a 1% battery drop after 1 hour of watching YouTube and surfing net. 3% drop after 2 hours.

2. Its fanless. You can use it on a table, your bed, your couch, and it won't shutdown due to overheating. But under sustained heavy load, it will throttle because the SOC will run very hot, but the throttling is not severe. Just this itself, I basically used this as I would with a tablet. While there is no touch screen, but when surfing net, watching video, I think it is not a big deal without touch screen.

Overall, it runs the software and games that I throw at it. But do keep in mind, that MacOS is not very gaming friendly. Most games on Steam for example, don't run. Fortunately for me, the simple games I play works on it. And despite the iGPU, it runs smoothly, as long as you don't run it at native resolution, which may be too much for the iGPU.
Thanks for the detail
I tot surface lappy battery on par with Mac lappy also

Parka

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detail
Most if not all laptops and tablets running Windows WILL NOT come close to the battery life you can get on a Mac. I'm saying that from the experience of having reviewed many.

The advantage of Windows laptop and tablets is there are so many designs and features and companies to choose from.

I feel like if you're not going to use the pen with Surface Pro, there's no advantage or productivity gain by buying a tablet.

endlssorrow

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most if not all laptops and tablets running Windows WILL NOT come close to the battery life you can get on a Mac. I'm saying that from the experience of having reviewed many.

The advantage of Windows laptop and tablets is there are so many designs and features and companies to choose from.

I feel like if you're not going to use the pen with Surface Pro, there's no advantage or productivity gain by buying a tablet.
I see
That’s the good thing I read too about battery life can last least 8 hours

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detail
The battery life is untouchable on a MBA. If you are looking at the Surface with Qualcomm chip, its possible that you can get better battery life, but that's at the expense of performance. But with an AMD or Intel chip, I've yet to find a laptop that can outlast the MBA at its price range.

leecming

Reaction score
MBA is unbeatable for performance and battery life but one issue with Apple ecosystem is they'll never sell a laptop with stylus support (would cannibalize iPad sales)

If you want a "proper" laptop with stylus - LL need to buy Windows

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.