Apple Event — 11 Nov, 2AM SGT.  Silicon Macs Expected to Debut

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No harm getting apple care since u intend to use for couple yrs.

My 2 mbp died just after 1 yr and it cost $7xx/$1xxx to change the motherboard.

My 2nd mbp I went to 3rd party repair and cost $3xx first time and after a yr spoil again and cost $2xx to repair.

Unless u very sure urs won’t spoil for at least 3 yrs. then don’t buy AppleCare.but .. no one can predict that lol.

Good points. I realized I have never owned an Apple laptop and laptops can be more fragile.

sevensomerset

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi,
anyone using the "globe" key?
it supposed to change input method, but mine not working.
I check the setting, it is set to "Change Inout Source".
I'm using English & Mandarin Pinyin input.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi,
anyone using the "globe" key?
it supposed to change input method, but mine not working.
I check the setting, it is set to "Change Inout Source".
I'm using English & Mandarin Pinyin input.

i used the caplock key to toggle between english and pinyin.

benz1987

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

No harm getting apple care since u intend to use for couple yrs.

My 2 mbp died just after 1 yr and it cost $7xx/$1xxx to change the motherboard.

My 2nd mbp I went to 3rd party repair and cost $3xx first time and after a yr spoil again and cost $2xx to repair.

Unless u very sure urs won’t spoil for at least 3 yrs. then don’t buy AppleCare.but .. no one can predict that lol.

benz1987

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing!

So far my Apple products have never died within 4 years.

Three dead ones
1) iPhone 6S+ 128GB, 5 years (touch ID and charging port dead, do not want to repair)

2) iPad 2, 7 years, very scary swollen battery by about 10cm, thrown away

3) Mac Mini 2011: about 7.5 years, power supply dead

Our iPad Mini 1, Apple TV 3rd gen, iPhone 6S 128GB, 7+ 256GB and X 256GB are all still alive and all are above are more than three years of usages already. I have also the iPad 2018, 2019 and the new Mac Mini M1.

So I have never bothered about Apple Care.

Besaid

Reaction score
Is it just me or it has been impossible to book a shopping session at Apple website lately?

benz1987

Reaction score
You can only book for an appointment that is 2 days later (i.e book today for 25th slot). Your chances will be higher if you try the booking in the morning. I booked an appointment yesterday (at 7am) for a slot tomorrow. At time of booking, still got many slots for 24th Dec.

Hope this helps!

Any idea when new slots are released?

Besaid

Reaction score
You can only book for an appointment that is 2 days later (i.e book today for 25th slot). Your chances will be higher if you try the booking in the morning. I booked an appointment yesterday (at 7am) for a slot tomorrow. At time of booking, still got many slots for 24th Dec.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advise. Managed to get ahold of a 25th slot at Jewel.

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Arrived but yet to try. Hope it fits snugly.

voRY7yE.jpg

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just did an SSD benchmark comparing my Mac Mini M1 and Acer Swift 3 laptop bought in Dec 2017. The reason to do this is that I found Acer SSD slow write speed is the bottleneck for SMB sharing file transfer between the two, using two Ugreen USB 2.5Gbe Ethernet adapters.

Apple Mac Mini M1 base model, 8GB/256GB
rqQXhyr.png

Acer Swift 3 Core i5-8250U 8GB/256GB
kIcH25y.png

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who are interested in getting the Ugreen Type C 2.5Gbe adapter, here is the Taobao link at RMB199 or around S$40 not counting fees. Local online shops may have as well. Ugreen has also USB 3 Type A version at RMB189.

https://m.tb.cn/h.4hbypLB?sm=1fcac3
【绿联2.5g网卡转换器外置usbc手机有线接口千兆网络typec转2500M适用于苹果ipadair4macbookpro笔记本电脑直播】

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just fitted on my power adapter. Fits very well and quality very good. Bought in Aliexpress as those selling in Shop and Mazda can't tell whether does it fit the MBA 2020 whereas Aliexpress seller can tell.
Can share where to get? This looks so clean

benz1987

Reaction score
Just got the MBA 13 inch M1. Been a while since my last laptop. Do you all do a factory reset on the laptop fresh out from the box? Thanks.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just got the MBA 13 inch M1. Been a while since my last laptop. Do you all do a factory reset on the laptop fresh out from the box? Thanks.

No need to do that since it’s already factory reset and have to go through all those setting up before you can use it, just like a new iPhone.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.