Are All Gaming Chairs a Scam?

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

Siyu

Reaction score
yes, especially the mi mi chair. buy and make temasek rich haha. joker.

get herman miller better.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me, certainly the case. What is a "gaming" chair? Does sitting on any of these sorts of "gaming" chair make one game better? They are just modeled like a racing car sit, with questionable material used, and sold at a premium. And from what I can tell, they generally don't last.

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
If you see the history of gaming chairs, you will realize that it's literally taken from luxury sports car seats. The reason why DXRacer did so was because....cars were in low demand during that time as the economic was about to burst(around 2006).

Source:https://nymag.com/strategist/article/ask-the-strategist-whats-the-deal-with-gaming-chairs.html

These seats were not built for comfort as it's meant for cars. It's meant to keep people in their seat safely which is a non-issue for gamers.

In other words, screw gaming chairs. Get legit office chairs or those cheap ass chairs which costs less then 100 bucks and save your money till you can get a good one.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's only a scam if you think gaming chairs can significantly impact your gaming stats. It's mostly about comfort for long gaming sessions.

Daty41

Master Member
Reaction score
office chair also not cheap.....Herman Miller is overrated IMO..also depends which model u buy. ordered for whole office once (about 40 pcs) many ppl say not comfortable as the older version HM we had was better. Forgot which model liao..its was about 1.1k each (after special rate discount)

But gaming chairs nicer to doze off in? just lean back and sleep while watching movie on PC...chair damn sturdy can tahan my BBFA body

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
office chair also not cheap.....Herman Miller is overrated IMO..also depends which model u buy. ordered for whole office once (about 40 pcs) many ppl say not comfortable as the older version HM we had was better. Forgot which model liao..its was about 1.1k each (after special rate discount)

But gaming chairs nicer to doze off in? just lean back and sleep while watching movie on PC...chair damn sturdy can tahan my BBFA body
For Herman Miller chairs, what you are paying for is really the brand name. The chairs are actually worth less than half the asking price. But having said that, the HM chairs in my office lasts for upwards of a decade. There are broken ones, but I’ve observed very few failures. While gaming chairs seem to start having issues with peeling and whatnot after a couple of years.

Gaming chair is designed for comfort, which is why it looks really bulky with all the foam. But comfort or not, it really depends on individual and the environment because I find these leather seats too warm, especially without switching the AC on. Office chairs are usually designed for office use, where the focus is likely ergonomics first, and comfort, second.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Should have stayed with Aeron even though it is more expensive.

TanKianW

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Herman Miller chairs, what you are paying for is really the brand name. The chairs are actually worth less than half the asking price. But having said that, the HM chairs in my office lasts for upwards of a decade. There are broken ones, but I’ve observed very few failures. While gaming chairs seem to start having issues with peeling and whatnot after a couple of years.

Gaming chair is designed for comfort, which is why it looks really bulky with all the foam. But comfort or not, it really depends on individual and the environment because I find these leather seats too warm, especially without switching the AC on. Office chairs are usually designed for office use, where the focus is likely ergonomics first, and comfort, second.

Wah, office chairs are HM? Very atas.

Many years back when HM just started out in Singapore, their rain maker came to my company side to promote the chairs for our new office.

Looks good, feels good, and when he revealed the quoted price…..I ask……is this the price with corporate discounts? He said yes. Immediately I decided to get ergo chairs from other more affordable and good comfort brands, which still sits good till this day. To be honest, I still think HM is way overpriced. The ROI is suffient for me to change the office chairs 3-4x. Even if my not so atas chair can last only 4-5 years, i doubt HM can last 15-20yrs.​

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For HM pricing, 50% goes to chair build, 50% goes to brand name.
For most other gaming chairs, 10% goes to chair build, 90% goes to marketing.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

......doubt HM can last 15-20yrs.​

I replaced the seat on my home Aeron after more than 15 years so can last that long ....

My wife's Aeron (bought at the same time) is still in immaculate condition but then she mostly uses it as a place to dump her clothes. :s8:

Daty41

Master Member
Reaction score
HM is to please the office workers, that company take care of them, give them atas chair....i was told "make sure buy HM only"... Meeting room chairs can buy cheaper... Employees chair must be HM...anyway back to gsming chair.... Its just a look of the ur gaming space... Office chair is definately more comfortable as can sit few hours no issues..but maybe too comfortable.. Gaming chair make u more alert?

For one, for gaming chairs, can put a lot of back support pillows and other small pillows and they will stay put ... In Office chair will squeeze or slide out so at the end cannot put much... My gaming chair got 3rd party head rest, back pillow, another back pillow and another smaller pillow (bolster shape) for maximum support

Last edited:

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me, gaming chairs certainly came a long way. It used to be pvc leather with all the marketing and hype. But it certainly do not last in our climate environment.

But after which our local brand secretlab, did some changes to their seats. Like change of materials such as cloth materials. Also they included the sales of Neue Chair which is a good ergo mesh chair for office use.

Im currently using the Neue Chair. It is build for ergo in mind and weighs like a tank. The back support, the base chair able to move in or out, and one of my favourite is the add on head rest.

At this point some of you may say that "im a secretlab IB" etc. But my point is, not all gaming chairs producers are crap. Which is why i feel secretlab do comes out with different things, there is something for everyone.

But when it comes to ergonomics. This is very important. Not all chairs have good ergonomics. This can be from any brands be it HM, be it ikea mesh chairs, Ergotune yada yada. You can say that gaming chairs are scam. So do other brands. Especially HM. Even their cheapest HM Sayl is rubbish to begin with. Even with corporate purchase. It is even more expensive than the Secretlab Neue which offers much more than the Sayl.

So to put this end to comparisons. Buy chairs cannot just simply say, this is gaming chair or this is office chair. A chair is a chair. Be it a kopitiam chair or a herman miller embody chair.

Look at comfort level, the ergo. Ultimately how much comfort can it give you for long period of gaming/productivity work etc. It can be a $100 chair that works well. It can also be a $4000 chair that perhaps give you a placebo effect that it should be good. Ultimately how much you would spend on a chair and expectations of the chair would give you.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.