Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

LISAONG

Reaction score
may i enquire if its worth taking this course? i am totally clueless about bike, want to learn to fix things . any feedback ?

SCF Basic Bike Mechanics Course on my Skill Futures.​

PattyTheChuggyTrain

Reaction score
may i enquire if its worth taking this course? i am totally clueless about bike, want to learn to fix things . any feedback ?

SCF Basic Bike Mechanics Course on my Skill Futures.​

No idea about this course. If you have time and you have credit to use, why not?

Otherwise on YouTube there are many good videos on Bike maintenance. Check out the Park Tool channel for example.

Donnguy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to learn how to DIY

6/7/8 Speed Chain IG51 Shimano Bike Chain MTB 116 Links For Bicycle Replacement​

but the repair man at bike shop said mine is speed 6, he said my is 8not compatible. tell me buy his chain he said 6 speed and he will replace it, is it true?

Wheel question,

Dahon curve old 16 inch 305 fork,
Can fit a 349 brompton wheels?

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for ur inputs on changing to mountain-type tyres. i experimented with the stock tyres by reducing the air pressure to around 80+ psi. was riding on 100psi and 90+ psi. i think 80+ psi allows more surface contact with the tyres and makes the ride feel "less slippery". i will continue to monitor.... but....

the rear tyre got punctured, only realize it when i wanted to ride this morning. sigh... need to buy the spare parts and diy the inner tube. part and parcel of bike riding? haha...

UVERtainment

Reaction score
hello, looking for some recommendations for my first bike

am 1.8m / 85kg

Purpose: PCN / trail riding with friends, going to nearby shopping centre

Prob looking for a hybrid bike after searching around. There's quite a few slopes ard my area so hoping that the bike can be light as possible

budget prob $500? not sure how high or low the price can go. and dun wanna go so high for a first bike
wouldnt mind a used bike as long as its still in good condition

looked around shopee and saw there's a number of good review for the begasso brand. but 16kg is heavy i would presume?

thanks!

jsl2012

Reaction score
not worth to buy, because the speed only shimano 9 speed Sora...

if u buy normal bike with shimano 9 speed Sora the price only SGD 800 - 900... but now u pay 1.7 to 2k just buy the same speed....

of course you can said Wheel is better, Frame is carbon fibre. but this add up from SGD 800, the actualy value for Z3 only 1.2k like that...

i prefer you to buy Cruis , Fnhon, Dahon can easily get shimano 10 Speed Tiagra the price only from 900 to 1.2k..

actually Sava Z3 also same weight with Cruis and Fnhon... so dont just see carbon fibre that mean is lighter. not such thing, i have go do weight measure. Z3 and Cruis is around the same weight 10.4 kg...

jsl2012

Reaction score
if you want lighter and convenience to bring to MRT , Bus only folding bike suite you.

if you want mountain bike or Road with light weight, at your budget, u cant get it. u need pay SGD 900 to get Sava road bike carbon frame. that 1 is around 10kg road bike...

but if i am you, i will prefer take folding bike. because road bike cant fold, if you route island or route half island, anything u bike spoil , if folding bike u can take Taxi go back, but if road bike or mountain bike, u need to find bicycle transport , that was additional charge quite expensive...

jsl2012

Reaction score
only 16 hour course, i dont think u can learn a lot. this is basically to teach u how to do maintanance for your bike only... not include change part or repair

ardneh

Reaction score
I am torn between Raleigh R880 that’s priced around $350 versus Giant Escape 2 (year 2020) which priced around $580.

Comparing parts don’t help since I’ve no idea which one is better than the other

any thoughts on these 2 bikes? if they’re the same performance, Raleigh wins.

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bot a dahon foldable with a seat behind. normally carried a 15 to 20 kg kid. used less than 20 times n tyre bursted. wtf….

DAHON DREAM D6 20" HAT060 (BLACK)

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

fishcracker

Reaction score
I have a riverside 100, the tyre is 700x38c/38-622, and im trying to buy an inner tube.

I find on shopee, like the max size they have is 700x28-32... would that inner tube fits my riverside?

Cycling noob here, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have a riverside 100, the tyre is 700x38c/38-622, and im trying to buy an inner tube.

I find on shopee, like the max size they have is 700x28-32... would that inner tube fits my riverside?

Cycling noob here, thanks in advance.
can slightly smaller would expand to fit? as a guide i used a 23c/mm tube wif 700x32c tyre for years no issues ^^

stillgottheblues

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
while it can b common, getting it broken after only 20 times is a litle too absurd. are we also saying that foldies have this common problem or is it common for all bikes or because my kid sat behind so it damaged it?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
You can carry an extra inner tube and make sure the tyre had sufficient air for every ride.

Some paths in Singapore are not upkept as well as before, so it all depends on what you hit on under the tyres.

pylpoh

Reaction score
while it can b common, getting it broken after only 20 times is a litle too absurd. are we also saying that foldies have this common problem or is it common for all bikes or because my kid sat behind so it damaged it?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!c

maybe tire pressure too low, in that case sometime the inner tube get pinched. u can try to pump it to middle of the suggest psi. could also be a bad rim tape. cannot be 20 times puncture one lah, unless you really ultimate suay. and when you replace the inner tube, make sure the tires is clean and also no sharp nicks on the rim.

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe tire pressure too low, in that case sometime the inner tube get pinched. u can try to pump it to middle of the suggest psi. could also be a bad rim tape. cannot be 20 times puncture one lah, unless you really ultimate suay. and when you replace the inner tube, make sure the tires is clean and also no sharp nicks on the rim.
Likely the case. It’s quite a hassle to do tyre check

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.