Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 6

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im riding a cheapo decathlon 7sp road bike mounted with a 5kg child seat.

my avg speed on a clear straight pcn is only around 20kmph and im fairly fit.

whats the biggest issue - 7sp or parasitic weight?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

Instigator

Banned
Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone can recommend a mountain bike below $1K ?

Currently shortlisted Polygon Xrada 6 and Giant Talon 1. (not sure which one is better)

Usage on PCN and occasional rides at our nature reserves (recreational)

panda_hippo

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anybody got a bike builder to recommend? I am looking for a bike builder where I can choose every single components on it (frames, brakes, handlebar, etc) during the process and then the bike builder proceed to acquire the parts and assemble it.

panda_hippo

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im riding a cheapo decathlon 7sp road bike mounted with a 5kg child seat.

my avg speed on a clear straight pcn is only around 20kmph and im fairly fit.

whats the biggest issue - 7sp or parasitic weight?

Read HWZ Forum Rules!
On the flats, bike weight does not affect speed as much as aerodynamics and your cadence relative to your gear. If you are spinning out (excessive cadence above 90 rpm) at the highest gear, then the issue lies with your gear range. Otherwise, it's just aerodynamic drag. According to statistics published online (can try googling it), your speed is quite normal. I can't hit 25km/h on my bike unless I go super hard, which is unsustainable.

At around 15km/h, aerodynamic drag starts to become the biggest force acting against your bike. You can go for a more aerodynamic set up/position but the increase in speed may not be that much. Source: https://blog.flocycling.com/aero-wh...rolling-resistance-at-different-rider-speeds/

chopra

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On the flats, bike weight does not affect speed as much as aerodynamics and your cadence relative to your gear. If you are spinning out (excessive cadence above 90 rpm) at the highest gear, then the issue lies with your gear range. Otherwise, it's just aerodynamic drag. According to statistics published online (can try googling it), your speed is quite normal. I can't hit 25km/h on my bike unless I go super hard, which is unsustainable.
At around 15km/h, aerodynamic drag starts to become the biggest force acting against your bike. You can go for a more aerodynamic set up/position but the increase in speed may not be that much. Source:
https://blog.flocycling.com/aero-wh...rolling-resistance-at-different-rider-speeds/

i dont wear a smartwatch but my cadence at max gear is definitely not so high. quite xiong.

thanks for sharing that e aerodynamic drag is so bad. i wear loose shirt n that might explain.

i find some of my strava feeds of ppl doing 28kmph plus minus. dunno how they do it

Read HWZ Forum Rules!

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this! You tried it before? Is their service good?
To be honest, never try.
Wanted to, but because I asked them whether got make bikes in queue, they replied yes, so never. Cos I don't really like waiting for more than a day.

But since I tell you they have a queue of bikes, shows that their services so reliable that many are willing to wait lor.

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To be honest, never try.
Wanted to, but because I asked them whether got make bikes in queue, they replied yes, so never. Cos I don't really like waiting for more than a day.

But since I tell you they have a queue of bikes, shows that their services so reliable that many are willing to wait lor.
(y)

panda_hippo

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The higher speed could either be due to group ride (drafting each other) or they deliberately get into a very aerodynamic position and pedal their hardest just to set a record.

Several years ago I saw this article regarding aerodynamics of a bike in the real world and it's quite insightful: https://www.renehersecycles.com/aerodynamics-of-real-world-bicycles/

Front rack is more aerodynamic than a rear rack, and equipping fenders have little to no effect on aerodynamics. More details in the article.

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The higher speed could either be due to group ride (drafting each other)

No wonder I feel like I can performing better whenever a hot babe cycles in front of me and I suddenly have the energy and speed to keep up to her and also increase speed in order to have a good front view (or back view, depending on perspectives).

All along I thought chiobus help me increase my humsup power therefore feel more energetic can perform better.

Now I know that is drafting....

rody2k

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I need help on this issue. I got a Decathlon Riverside 100. Felt that the stock wheel is slim. thinking to upgrade to those mountain bike tyres. It it possible?

Thanks a lot in advance.

batuchka

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score

aqf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What kind of lock should one get for a foldable bike?

eeLsinneD

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using this lock.

https://jetcycle.com.sg/product/ulac-k2n-multi-function-bike-lock-luggage-lock/
Long enough to coil around your rear wheel and criss-cross over the rear frame and crank and lock them up.
Anyway, this works for just toilet breaks, pitstop parking or a couple of hours when you need to go shopping or watch movies.

If you want to lock your bike overnight it is still safer to use the usual thick or chained locks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.