Ask me any questions - Part 2

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been to Japan 3 times, never drive before. Covered mainly tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka main tourist areas.

Going next year, start of April.

Was thinking if taking a domestic flight to nagoya will be better then start and end my driving there but the time and cost wasted on waiting for plane and plane fee, why not drive out straight from Osaka. (advisable?)

Going for 14 days, planning to drive for at least 9 or 10 days.

Plotted some places on the map, of course will not cover all, but roughly driving from Osaka - SHIGA - Fukui - Toyama - Nagano - Yamanasi - Nagoya - Mie - Osaka. Is this too big a place to cover for 9 days and I should cut some out?
:s13:
BGxPX2X.jpg

wah! tt is a lot of places to cover in 2 weeks!
suggest u check the distance from point to point and estimate how long it will take to drive to all these places.

try to cut down on the places. i think for 2 weeks, maybe just cover the places in kansai? work out the number of days needed first. if still have free days, then add in nagoya. the rest of chubu i think very hard to fit into this trip.

start april is good for sakura viewing. maybe can plan to go all the top sakura spots in kansai, such as himeji castle, mt yoshino, various parts of kyotos etc.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Of course I won't be able to visit all the places plotted on my map, more of seeking experienced visitors via car travel, if they have taken similar route and to see if anyone can share their itinerary with me for guidance.
Putting your route into google maps, just city to city alone already 22hr driving. Taking into account detours and drives to attractions, that's easily 3-4 hours or more of driving a day, and only spending 1 day per location. Closer to home it's something like, today drive to KL spend 1 day there, tomorrow drive to Penang spend 1 day there ... this kind of road trip if it's OK with you then of course it's "doable."

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been to Japan 3 times, never drive before. Covered mainly tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka main tourist areas.

Going next year, start of April.

Was thinking if taking a domestic flight to nagoya will be better then start and end my driving there but the time and cost wasted on waiting for plane and plane fee, why not drive out straight from Osaka. (advisable?)

Going for 14 days, planning to drive for at least 9 or 10 days.

Plotted some places on the map, of course will not cover all, but roughly driving from Osaka - SHIGA - Fukui - Toyama - Nagano - Yamanasi - Nagoya - Mie - Osaka. Is this too big a place to cover for 9 days and I should cut some out?
:s13:
BGxPX2X.jpg

impossible

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm, okay thanks. Guess I will have to either find attractions nearer to Osaka region to self drive, or fly to Nagoya for self drive. Thanks guys

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm, okay thanks. Guess I will have to either find attractions nearer to Osaka region to self drive, or fly to Nagoya for self drive. Thanks guys

You can still start from Osaka but instead of Kyoto or anything north, maybe can try Shikoku instead while exploring Kobe, Himeji, Okayama, Hiroshima along the way.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
You can still start from Osaka but instead of Kyoto or anything north, maybe can try Shikoku instead while exploring Kobe, Himeji, Okayama, Hiroshima along the way.

I see, thank you. I've been to Kobe, but not the rest. Will take a look at those.

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
now can book air ticket for Jan/Feb 2021 anot? i want go eat kyushu ramen

SQ only released schedules up to October:

https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/pdf/media-centre/200807flightschedulenorthasia.pdf

Flights are okay to Osaka and Tokyo but not Kyushu (Fukuoka) yet. You will still be able to book online to Fukuoka for Jan/Feb but they may (or may not) be cancelled later.

Anyway, I went to Beppu and Aso over the last few days. It's still all good here :) In fact I went to one of my favourite onsen in Beppu (Myoban Onsen) and had the place to myself until a couple of others joined later. Usually it's packed like hell.

KyushuWoozy

Reaction score
They acting fast with hopes of having summer Olympic

Yes, latest plan is to start opening for foreign tourists in April ready for the Olympics in July. Of course situation constantly changing and depends on the vaccine situation I suppose.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, latest plan is to start opening for foreign tourists in April ready for the Olympics in July. Of course situation constantly changing and depends on the vaccine situation I suppose.

the foreign tourists only for very restricted tour groups unfortunately.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.