Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are a few at arcade right? Which one do you usually go to?

as mentioned by nemo88, it may not be worth it to travel there if the rates are not significantly different. a good gauge will be to look at mustafa website. the rates at chinatown and arcade are very close to mustafa's rate.

if u are heading to arcade, usually sheen and hassan&son give the best rates. but just look ard at their electronic board and compare. almost all the shops there uses the board

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea! The market opens early for breakfast right? Can we buy the dried scallop there as well? Or do you recommend any place in Tokyo/Yokohama I can get it?

yes, the shops in tsukiji market open early. in fact, the popular sushi-dai and sushi-daiwa would have a long queue even before daybreak.

u shld be able to get dried scallop there, especially at the outer market or around there area

thwysg

Reaction score
yes, the shops in tsukiji market open early. in fact, the popular sushi-dai and sushi-daiwa would have a long queue even before daybreak.

u shld be able to get dried scallop there, especially at the outer market or around there area

She's actually looking for scallop snacks. Not dried scallops for cooking. :)

nemo88

Reaction score
Actually those dried scallop snacks they more commonly have with beer are different. They are usually braised and seasoned, whereas the version with we use for cooking is simply sun dried and to a much drier state.

Should be this: http://www.nihon-yorozuya.com/Japan_Flavoured_Scallop/p2185707_11487020.aspx

The best place to find them is at the famous snack shop Nikinokashi (二木の菓子) in Ameyoko. You can find these in small snack shop, konbini and regular supermarkets, but only small packs (e.g. a strip of 10) or more expensive. Nikinokashi sells large bags of individually wrapped scallops (I think at least 50-80 count bags). If you buy enough make sure you queue to pay at the tax-free counter!

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows is there any like a must buy food to bring back to sg?
like tw got pineapple tarts..
japan got what?

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's a good idea! The market opens early for breakfast right? Can we buy the dried scallop there as well? Or do you recommend any place in Tokyo/Yokohama I can get it?

i wander.. what to eat over there...

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually those dried scallop snacks they more commonly have with beer are different. They are usually braised and seasoned, whereas the version with we use for cooking is simply sun dried and to a much drier state.

Should be this: http://www.nihon-yorozuya.com/Japan_Flavoured_Scallop/p2185707_11487020.aspx

The best place to find them is at the famous snack shop Nikinokashi (二木の菓子) in Ameyoko. You can find these in small snack shop, konbini and regular supermarkets, but only small packs (e.g. a strip of 10) or more expensive. Nikinokashi sells large bags of individually wrapped scallops (I think at least 50-80 count bags). If you buy enough make sure you queue to pay at the tax-free counter!

No. they actually eat the dried one. Those chinese use for cooking porridge. Very incredible they can actually eat those directly.
Many of my local japanese friends ask me to buy those when i go to Japan.

nemo88

Reaction score
No. they actually eat the dried one. Those chinese use for cooking porridge. Very incredible they can actually eat those directly.
Many of my local japanese friends ask me to buy those when i go to Japan.

Not disagreeing that they eat it, but the more common snack (and what the OP is looking for) is a different product.

Actually I've eaten those as snacks as well, especially the small baby scallop versions. It's chewy ... heh.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows is there any like a must buy food to bring back to sg?
like tw got pineapple tarts..
japan got what?

omiyage can depend on the area you visit. If you ask me there are two kinds

1 kind is good gifts, you know the well packaged stuff like tokyo banana for example

then is the stuff I am gonna actually eat.:s13:

everyone have their own taste though. I am not a big fan of tokyo banana for example.

i wander.. what to eat over there...

sushi, tamagoe yaki, lots of cooked food sold in the outer market area.

nemo88

Reaction score
omiyage can depend on the area you visit. If you ask me there are two kinds

1 kind is good gifts, you know the well packaged stuff like tokyo banana for example

then is the stuff I am gonna actually eat.:s13:

everyone have their own taste though. I am not a big fan of tokyo banana for example.

Yah - I don't like Tokyo banana at all.... The last time I bought it was because there was a limited edition release and I liked the packaging! Then came back and gave the snacks away - which isn't that easy as many of my friends don't like it either... :s13:

I really just focus on eating as much as I can while in Japan. To bring home, I will buy stuff like green tea leaves/sachets, special cooking ingredients (I like to cook), for some close friends, special snacks or food I know they like. To bring back everything I want is really impossible. That'd be like half of Tsukiji market as it is... LOL

lowniu

Reaction score
any day trip organizer for Mouth Fuji area? any agency can recommend? want to go there day trip as all hotel pre-booked at Tokyo d.....

thwysg

Reaction score
any day trip organizer for Mouth Fuji area? any agency can recommend? want to go there day trip as all hotel pre-booked at Tokyo d.....

https://www.jtb-sunrisetours.jp
http://www.japanican.com/
http://www.yokoso-japan.jp/en/index.htm
http://his.com.sg/tokyo-optional-tours/

thwysg

Reaction score
Yah - I don't like Tokyo banana at all.... The last time I bought it was because there was a limited edition release and I liked the packaging! Then came back and gave the snacks away - which isn't that easy as many of my friends don't like it either... :s13:

I really just focus on eating as much as I can while in Japan. To bring home, I will buy stuff like green tea leaves/sachets, special cooking ingredients (I like to cook), for some close friends, special snacks or food I know they like. To bring back everything I want is really impossible. That'd be like half of Tsukiji market as it is... LOL

Get the popular ones like Hokkaido Potato, Shiroi Koibito, special flavors of Calbee chips, Glico, Meiji snacks and Kit Kat.

I don't like Tokyo Banana too unless friends request for it. Instead I prefer to buy things they could use - small items for daily use, or even dried foodstuffs/ miso as gifts. Alternative is get local tidbits like senbei, Japanese traditional candies and snacks from shops like Niki no Kashi.

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where can I get those ? I want to get the Hokkaido potato

Get the popular ones like Hokkaido Potato, Shiroi Koibito, special flavors of Calbee chips, Glico, Meiji snacks and Kit Kat.

I don't like Tokyo Banana too unless friends request for it. Instead I prefer to buy things they could use - small items for daily use, or even dried foodstuffs/ miso as gifts. Alternative is get local tidbits like senbei, Japanese traditional candies and snacks from shops like Niki no Kashi.

thwysg

Reaction score
Where can I get those ? I want to get the Hokkaido potato

From the airport if you're not heading to Hokkaido. Narita and Haneda carry those - some shops limit the number of Hokkaido Potato for each passenger.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
protip and this might get me killed by my friends if they find out

there is a variation of potato farm with a green colour band

it is equally as good as the original potato farm fries. Dun fight with the chinese nationals for potato farm fries :s13:

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those common one like Tokyo Banana, Potatoe Farm, Shiroi Koibito, Calbee, Glico, Meiji, Kit Kat i don't bother. Maybe first time when i went Japan i brought but now going for 7th trip i already ate before most.
I am working in Japanese company, when Japanese client visit, omiyage is a must. Many like to give Tokyo Banana.
Per year i ate maybe 10 times Tokyo Banana. Maybe those very easy to get at airport so some people lazy.

My Choice for Omiyage now
1. Malebranche
http://www.malebranche.co.jp/products/yakigashi/chanoka/
Kyoto Limited edition. This one is not common and not easy to buy.
Price is also not cheap but taste is best! Mostly Japanese will know this brand

2. Itohkyuemon
http://www.itohkyuemon.co.jp/site/index2.html
Another Uji, Kyoto brand.
Their Matcha snacks very good

3. Ippodo
http://www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/
Kyoto Tea Brand. Very good Gyokuro. I will buy then distribute a few to my Japanese colleagues. They will ask me where they can buy this also. It is that good

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.