Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thwysg

Reaction score
I am planning to see sakura blooms in Kansai area and tourist sightseeing next year. When should be the rough period I should start looking out for better price air tickets? Btw, has airbnb approved officially in Japan already?

I've seen many in other forums who have booked their tickets. Just look out for airfare deals.

Airbnb is never legal in Japan except for one area near Haneda Airport - Ota District and minimum stay is 7 days. The last thing you would want during a vacation is getting detained by police and evicted from the host's place when you don't even speak their language.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/02/12/national/tokyos-ota-ward-approves-first-short-term-airbnb-style-home-rentals/#.V5ncgvR72nM
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/07/27/business/airbnb-home-sharing-war-heats-japan/#.V5lx_olUvqC

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be travelling to takasaki, Gunma probably from ueno station. What are my options apart from the shinkansen (which i believe is the joetsu one)?

Going to takasaki around 26/09 and going back to Tokyo area around 03/10, should i purchase tickets at the station on the day of travelling itself?

Thanks for your advice.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would go to hyperdia and do a check

depends on cost and your time constraints, if you are taking shinkansen you can reserve a seat (which has a fee) but it will only be available 1 mth before the travel date

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'll be travelling to takasaki, Gunma probably from ueno station. What are my options apart from the shinkansen (which i believe is the joetsu one)?

Going to takasaki around 26/09 and going back to Tokyo area around 03/10, should i purchase tickets at the station on the day of travelling itself?

Thanks for your advice.

Shinjuku to takasaki Stn cost 1550 one way by Bus, not too long journey too, a good choice
https://secure.j-bus.co.jp/hon/Deta...dpcd=&apcd=&rldd=&rlck=&seattype=0&Lavatory=0

fragment

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'll be staying in osaka for 6 nights as a base place to take day trips out to kyoto,nara and kobe then travel to tokyo for my remaining 4 days. is it cheaper to get a JR pass OR use the normal suica cards for day trips out from osaka then when going to tokyo i'll be taking nozomi.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i'll be staying in osaka for 6 nights as a base place to take day trips out to kyoto,nara and kobe then travel to tokyo for my remaining 4 days. is it cheaper to get a JR pass OR use the normal suica cards for day trips out from osaka then when going to tokyo i'll be taking nozomi.

if u are heading back to osaka after tokyo, then JR pass worth it. else suica will do for the places u are going

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to find how much is a one way ticket for nozomi shinkansen from osaka to tokyo.

Btw is there any good places for wagyu in osaka/kobe? first time there.
Use Japan Guide man. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html "The regular one way fare is 13,620 yen by non-reserved seat on any train, around 14,200 yen by reserved seat on Hikari or Kodama trains and around 14,500 yen by reserved seat on a Nozomi train."

Go Kobe eat Kobe beef lo. The "standard" tourist place is Steakland (near sannomiya station). Relatively cheap if you go for lunch but frankly it's so-so only ... unless the only steak you ever eaten here is Aston's quality then it'll blow you away.

Want a bit more atas then go Mouriya (also in Kobe).

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I cant seem to find how much is a one way ticket for nozomi shinkansen from osaka to tokyo.

Btw is there any good places for wagyu in osaka/kobe? first time there.

bro, use http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ to find out. Also download the apps into your phone. very useful. So does Google Map, very useful too. In fact sometimes it's better than Hyperdia as its a map, navigational guide cum transit.

The phone's compass is also a good general direction guide. I always use it to counter-check my direction is not out by using it.

applezi12

Reaction score
Going Hokkaido next week with my family .
my father have problem walking long distance.
anyone know any place that can borrow wheelchair when we visited the attraction , then return it after we go off .

going to these places
furano --> otaru --> lake toya --> noboribetsu --> chitose

Last edited:

ddqwerty

Reaction score
Shinjuku to takasaki Stn cost 1550 one way by Bus, not too long journey too, a good choice
https://secure.j-bus.co.jp/hon/Deta...dpcd=&apcd=&rldd=&rlck=&seattype=0&Lavatory=0

I would go to hyperdia and do a check

depends on cost and your time constraints, if you are taking shinkansen you can reserve a seat (which has a fee) but it will only be available 1 mth before the travel date

Thanks! I've been checking other alternatives too. Trying not to take the Shinkansen due to cost, I'll probably take the bus or smaller lines like takasaki line.

jep

Reaction score
JR PASS

Hi, I like to ask do I have to book/reserve a seat or I can just hop in the train and seat at any "ordinary seat"? (Taking shinkansen)

Am traveling from tokyo to nagano/niigata.

I need to get on the train quite early in the morning (ard 7am) and I checked that ticket centre/office doesn't open that early.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, I like to ask do I have to book/reserve a seat or I can just hop in the train and seat at any "ordinary seat"? (Taking shinkansen)
You have to reserve a seat to sit in the reserved cars (for JR Pass, seat reservations are "free"). If you got no seat reservations for a particular train then you should go to the unreserved cars.

jep

Reaction score
You have to reserve a seat to sit in the reserved cars (for JR Pass, seat reservations are "free"). If you got no seat reservations for a particular train then you should go to the unreserved cars.

Thanks. I'm scare that I may forget to book, so must know cos need to hop into the train quite early.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Am traveling from tokyo to nagano/niigata.

I need to get on the train quite early in the morning (ard 7am) and I checked that ticket centre/office doesn't open that early.
u do reservations earlier at least a day earlier

if you are using a JR Pass, you need to do so at the ticketing office

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jr pass holders can hop onto any train without seat reservation, except for those very rare full seat reservations service (e.g. Narita Express). on train services like shinkansen, there are separate non reserved seating carriages just for people without reservations.

if you can speak japanese, i am quite sure you can ask for a reserved seating ticket from the conductor on the train. once you get a reserved seating ticket, you can go sit down in the reserved seating carriages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.