Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U will know it just there..... but there r much better sushi than saito......
interested to know where you think is better than saito? Not that I've ever been there before lol, but it's consistently rated as best place on tabelog, and also 3 Michelin stars ...

chainer22

Reaction score
Locals still like going to Disneyland or sea.

The crowds gets worse if it is near some sort of festival. Christmas for example will see a lot more ppl than usual

http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneysea

Pretty accurate. Avoid weekend definitely.
Yellow is also quite crowded. You can click on the date you can see the estimated wait at each attractions. For Yellow, Toy story need 2 hours. Most popular one need at least 30mins or so queuing. Center of Earth, Tower of Terror all those even yellow need more than 1 hour queuing.
Green is perfect. But rare. Normally winter months can see because too cold to enjoy.

Just be at the entrance before opening of the park. First thing just run to Toy Story Mania (shooting game) to grab the FastPass or queue immediately for the ride.

When it first opened in 2013, we went during Obon Week and all FastPass were already taken before 8.30am. I went end April before Golden Week this year (we had Happy15 Entry) and yet only managed to get the pass for a time slot around 5pm. It just shows how popular this ride is.

what about this site? http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/ the crowd forecast seems very different from the tdrnavi site

i was still contemplating between 31st Oct (last day of Halloween at Disneysea) and 1st Nov.

If according to tdrnavi, i will just visit on the 31st Oct since 1st Nov is equally/more crowded.

But if according to the http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/, i think i will choose to go on the 1st Nov since it is way last crowded :s11:

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what about this site? http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/ the crowd forecast seems very different from the tdrnavi site

i was still contemplating between 31st Oct (last day of Halloween at Disneysea) and 1st Nov.

If according to tdrnavi, i will just visit on the 31st Oct since 1st Nov is equally/more crowded.

But if according to the http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/, i think i will choose to go on the 1st Nov since it is way last crowded :s11:

Weekday should be less crowded than weekend. But that week got one holiday on 3. So it will be tricky because some might take a few more days of leave to make it longer holiday

thwysg

Reaction score
Toy Story ride seems grossly overrated. I dont mind queuing for Big Band Beat though.

Go for lottery draw for BBB. Queue if you couldn't get the reserved seats. But be prepared to queue for at least an hour.

Toy Story Mania is suitable for all ages. That's why it's popular.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
interested to know where you think is better than saito? Not that I've ever been there before lol, but it's consistently rated as best place on tabelog, and also 3 Michelin stars ...
some restaurant operators dun like mass media publicity

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which is why some times u just have to go with your gut

"if it looks good, EAT IT!" :s13:

nemo88

Reaction score
Asking here on behalf of a friend as I don't know Osaka/Kansai as well as I know Tokyo. He's taking family on holiday staying in Osaka for about a week, and then planning trips to Kyoto, Himeji, Kobe. Wasn't planning to buy the JR Kansai pass as he read online that there's not that much savings, but his hotel is at Tennoji station, and I noted that the most convenient route to Kyoto is actually taking the Haruka Limited express since no transfer is required.

This makes the Kansai Area Pass a good deal for him and his family since Haruka Limited prices at ~2000JPY each way between Tennoji and Kyoto. I understand the seat-fee is payable even for non-reserved cabins.

Am I missing the fine print anywhere? I think they're planning to do Kyoto for at least 2-3 days, 1 day Himeji-Kobe. So will buy the 3-4 day pass.

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Asking here on behalf of a friend as I don't know Osaka/Kansai as well as I know Tokyo. He's taking family on holiday staying in Osaka for about a week, and then planning trips to Kyoto, Himeji, Kobe. Wasn't planning to buy the JR Kansai pass as he read online that there's not that much savings, but his hotel is at Tennoji station, and I noted that the most convenient route to Kyoto is actually taking the Haruka Limited express since no transfer is required.

This makes the Kansai Area Pass a good deal for him and his family since Haruka Limited prices at ~2000JPY each way between Tennoji and Kyoto. I understand the seat-fee is payable even for non-reserved cabins.

Am I missing the fine print anywhere? I think they're planning to do Kyoto for at least 2-3 days, 1 day Himeji-Kobe. So will buy the 3-4 day pass.

Dont think we can avoid train transfer in JP. The cheapest cost to Kyoto(Kawaramachi) via Keihan is 680. Tennnji to Kyoto stn is 840.

nemo88

Reaction score
Dont think we can avoid train transfer in JP. The cheapest cost to Kyoto(Kawaramachi) via Keihan is 680. Tennnji to Kyoto stn is 840.

That's my point and why I'm helping him to look at using the JR Kansai Area Pass for the direct Tennoji>Kyoto trip on the Haruka Ltd Express. No need to transfer.

Not looking for cheapest option but the Kansai area pass would work out to be about 1600-1800JPY per day, and one way on the Haruka Ltd Express would be 2000Y already.

If not for staying at Tennoji, it's probably not a 'better' option. But to be able to take the direct train this extra cost seems to be a worthwhile investment.

EDIT: Adding link to the JR Kansai Area Pass as I searched the archives and not much recommendations for it https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/

I think because my friend is staying at Tennoji it would be worth considering to skip the transfers. Only thing is Haruka last train is 830PM from Kyoto, so if they stay late for night illumination then they have to take the normal JR trains. But at least going over in the morning will be a good deal liao.

Last edited:

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's my point and why I'm helping him to look at using the JR Kansai Area Pass for the direct Tennoji>Kyoto trip on the Haruka Ltd Express. No need to transfer.

Not looking for cheapest option but the Kansai area pass would work out to be about 1600-1800JPY per day, and one way on the Haruka Ltd Express would be 2000Y already.

If not for staying at Tennoji, it's probably not a 'better' option. But to be able to take the direct train this extra cost seems to be a worthwhile investment.

EDIT: Adding link to the JR Kansai Area Pass as I searched the archives and not much recommendations for it https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansai/

I think because my friend is staying at Tennoji it would be worth considering to skip the transfers. Only thing is Haruka last train is 830PM from Kyoto, so if they stay late for night illumination then they have to take the normal JR trains. But at least going over in the morning will be a good deal liao.

if it was me, i would get the Kansai Thru Pass. JR trains might be faster and there is the convenience for taking the Haruka (jam packed in the morning, why would you want to squeeze this train?), but for the added value of using the keihan and kintetsu and all the other subways and buses in osaka and kyoto, the value of the kansai thru pass is unbeatable. JR kansai pass is totally useless once you reach kyoto station, all the extra cost of getting around kyoto will be chalking up on your wallet. and kintetsu nara is the station you want to go to if you are going to nara, not the JR nara station which is further away. even the sanyo-himeiji station is nearer to the castle than the jr himeiji.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

not sure y ur fren think there is not much savings for JR kansai area pass... coz there is quite substantial savings if he uses the pass for the day trip to himeji.
and there is savings also if taking haruka to kyoto as u have mentioned. so just get the pass for the days he is heading to himeji and kyoto

nemo88

Reaction score
if it was me, i would get the Kansai Thru Pass. JR trains might be faster and there is the convenience for taking the Haruka (jam packed in the morning, why would you want to squeeze this train?), but for the added value of using the keihan and kintetsu and all the other subways and buses in osaka and kyoto, the value of the kansai thru pass is unbeatable. JR kansai pass is totally useless once you reach kyoto station, all the extra cost of getting around kyoto will be chalking up on your wallet. and kintetsu nara is the station you want to go to if you are going to nara, not the JR nara station which is further away. even the sanyo-himeiji station is nearer to the castle than the jr himeiji.

They're not going to go to Nara (been before), but definitely doing Himeji-Kobe in the same day.

But within Kyoto isn't there a day bus pass at 500Y?

I guess it's that possibility of just taking a direct train from Tennoji to Kyoto that's very attractive. Is it that crowded on the Haruka? If can board and get a seat when people get off at Osaka station I don't think they'll mind - pp who travel with kids have different priorities, I think the transfers just take longer for them. :p

I have very limited experience with Osaka, been there only on a day trip so I don't know if they need to be worried or not.

Will ask him to explore the Kansai Thru pass too!

nemo88

Reaction score
not sure y ur fren think there is not much savings for JR kansai area pass... coz there is quite substantial savings if he uses the pass for the day trip to himeji.
and there is savings also if taking haruka to kyoto as u have mentioned. so just get the pass for the days he is heading to himeji and kyoto

I think that was before seeing that the JR Pass was applicable for the Haruka express. When you search on Hyperdia that train doesn't always come up depending on your departure time and number of search results. So most of the returned options are like less than 1000Y per way. I guess because it's a consecutive day pass and he maybe wanted more flexibility? Not sure also. heh.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haruka Express mostly for those travelling to and fro from KIX.
Not that fast in terms of speed plus frequency not so good. once every 30 mins or so.

Take local train rapid service and transfer at Osaka for Kyoto day trip not so different in timing saving.

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They're not going to go to Nara (been before), but definitely doing Himeji-Kobe in the same day.

But within Kyoto isn't there a day bus pass at 500Y?

I guess it's that possibility of just taking a direct train from Tennoji to Kyoto that's very attractive. Is it that crowded on the Haruka? If can board and get a seat when people get off at Osaka station I don't think they'll mind - pp who travel with kids have different priorities, I think the transfers just take longer for them. :p

I have very limited experience with Osaka, been there only on a day trip so I don't know if they need to be worried or not.

Will ask him to explore the Kansai Thru pass too!

Not crowded at all. I sat Green car and the whole green car only 1 person which is me. This train most people don't take unless going airport. But then most people choose other airport express instead of haruka due to cost.

joeson

Reaction score
Manza onsen- nisshinkan

as above, anyone went to manza onsen and stayed there before? planning a winter trip and this caught my eye. seems a hassle to go there though, without renting my own car.

nemo88

Reaction score
Haruka Express mostly for those travelling to and fro from KIX.
Not that fast in terms of speed plus frequency not so good. once every 30 mins or so.

Take local train rapid service and transfer at Osaka for Kyoto day trip not so different in timing saving.

It's not about the time saving but the convenience of not having to do transfers. As I note it's a different priority for pp travelling with kids (and with elderly too but my friend just taking his 2 kids).

Thanks for the tips from everyone though - I share the info with him for him to decide :)

nemo88

Reaction score
Not crowded at all. I sat Green car and the whole green car only 1 person which is me. This train most people don't take unless going airport. But then most people choose other airport express instead of haruka due to cost.

Is the green car reserved seating? If so then its excluded from the JR Kansai pass leh.

I think it's ~1000Y for Kansai airport to Tennoji in 30mins, what other cheaper express options are there?

Hetheone

Reaction score

Sushi saito the food is good... Worth the star....

But the place decor and services doesn't match the xtra third star.....

If rating is what u after.... U can try higashiazabu amamoto....

Or others like sushi arai.. Sushi-ya..... Sushi ryusuke....

If u into tempura, can try this Takiya.... Rating not bad... ( got beef tempura )

Plus getting the star soon......

There are many old chef prefer the olden ways.... Less media...

So their customers can have privacy while dinning.....

As it a small seating.... Any bad manners can affect other customers dining experience...

Thus by introduction comes in.... and they r not cut throat pricing.....

Best of all..... No need months ahead reservations.....

The owners will feel bad if he has to reject the customer a seat.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.