Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrytini

Reaction score
There are many ways to go there depending on your timing of taking train. Best is just to follow the suggestion of Google since it will rank the arrival time for you.

I would like to go as early as the shops open so as to maximize my one day shopping. is the free wifi widely available? think i better save the maps in my phone incase i don't have access to public wifi there. btw any idea wheres the best place to buy dried scallop snack in yokohama?

berrytini

Reaction score
Actually so far all my trips to japan i always use google maps for day to day route planning. find it much more intuitive than hyperdia; maybe it's cos in SG also always use google maps so used to it liao.

the only times i use hyperdia is when i know the route already but want to check schedules like first train last train and "if i miss the 10am train, what time is the next one" questions 🤔

thanks for the heads up

berrytini

Reaction score
should i get the jr pass if i'm traveling multiple times on the train on that day between minatormirai, yokohama and tokyo around shimbaishi?

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the JR pass has very little coverage inside Tokyo limits and some what the greater tokyo area

there are alternative options for Yokohama n Tokyo besides shinkansen. There is a reason why the Osaka-Tokyo route is the most profitable for the JR

Nalgene123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be in Tokyo during X'mas and New Year so I would like to find out where can I go for the celebrations if any. I'm planning to visit Tokyo Midtown on X'mas eve while I'm undecided if I should go for a shrine visit on New Year's Eve or after New Year. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to spend for these two holidays?

the thing about Tokyo is that although they have illumination at various locations around town..during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day itself...nothing happens..as far as I'm aware..there's no large scale special events to celebrate xmas....town area might be slightly more crowded than usual on Xmas Eve of Day...but that's about it....you can try to go to Tokyo Station where they have the lightshow....

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would like to go as early as the shops open so as to maximize my one day shopping. is the free wifi widely available? think i better save the maps in my phone incase i don't have access to public wifi there. btw any idea wheres the best place to buy dried scallop snack in yokohama?

Im going tokyo this dec... From what i read google map for toky don't work if u are not online. You can't save offline google tokyo maps too.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the paper map or static map in your phone and the phone's compass are enough already. Especially you only want to roam and wonder towards a general direction. Eg from Asakusa to Ueno on foot.

Tall land mark like the Sky Tree or Tokyo Tower doesn't even need a map, u just walk towards it will do.

But in terms of detailed directions, google map still the one. Getting a little lost could be part of the fun of travelling too.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I do. The Tokaido option is where I got confused as I'm afraid of getting lost when switching to Ginza line. This is my first time there. Btw I thought I should alight at shimbashi? I wanna go muji and uniqlo. which is the nearest stop? Iirc the takaido option gave me 2 choices.

When you reach Shimbashi, there will be signs pointing to Ginza Line entrances. Just follow them and enter Ginza line and get on the correct direction of the platforms will do.

see map, the right hand bottom corner is the Ginza line
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e877.html

Last edited:

berrytini

Reaction score
When you reach Shimbashi, there will be signs pointing to Ginza Line entrances. Just follow them and enter Ginza line and get on the correct direction of the platforms will do.

see map, the right hand bottom corner is the Ginza line
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e877.html

Ooh thanks! This is very helpful! Do I need to get another pass for the ginza line? This stop is nearest to Uniqlo and Muji right?

berrytini

Reaction score
Im going tokyo this dec... From what i read google map for toky don't work if u are not online. You can't save offline google tokyo maps too.

Oh okay thanks. I try to consolidate all the info before I fly off. There's wifi at my hotel. Hopefully there's wifi in the major malls

berrytini

Reaction score
the JR pass has very little coverage inside Tokyo limits and some what the greater tokyo area

there are alternative options for Yokohama n Tokyo besides shinkansen. There is a reason why the Osaka-Tokyo route is the most profitable for the JR

Thanks. I'll skip the jr pass in that case since I'm only needing it for that day.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh okay thanks. I try to consolidate all the info before I fly off. There's wifi at my hotel. Hopefully there's wifi in the major malls

u can always navigate with a paper map. just need to plan how to get around beforehand. so far i have not used data plan for my japan trips. as mentioned by cpuer, getting lost is part of fun of travelling, and u may discover interesting things that are off the tourist map.
maybe i am just old school ;)

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ooh thanks! This is very helpful! Do I need to get another pass for the ginza line? This stop is nearest to Uniqlo and Muji right?

Metro would have their passes, but solely on their own network(s). Like many have mentioned before, within Tokyo , just the SUICA will do. IMO passes just too much hassle except when u are really want to maximize the value. But if you somehow can mange all your travel within their network & worth the value of the pass, then by all means get their pass.

eg
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/1day/index.html

yes, Uniqlo and MUJI Ginza is near to Ginza stn. But pick the correct exit though, a wrong one will "lengthen" your walking distance:)

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

luvenergy

Reaction score
May I know if Ginza worth a visit?dun intend to go there shop for high end products.
Any suggestion of how should I start my day after the early breakfast at Tsukiji market?

thwysg

Reaction score
Metro would have their passes, but solely on their own network(s). Like many have mentioned before, within Tokyo , just the SUICA will do. IMO passes just too much hassle except when u are really want to maximize the value. But if you somehow can mange all your travel within their network & worth the value of the pass, then by all means get their pass.

eg
http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/1day/index.html

yes, Uniqlo and MUJI Ginza is near to Ginza stn. But pick the correct exit though, a wrong one will "lengthen" your walking distance:)

Muji is just next to JR Yurakucho station (less than 3 min walk), could have just alight at the next stop after JR Shinbashi station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.