Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

thwysg

Reaction score
My Choice for Omiyage now
1. Malebranche
http://www.malebranche.co.jp/products/yakigashi/chanoka/
Kyoto Limited edition. This one is not common and not easy to buy.
Price is also not cheap but taste is best! Mostly Japanese will know this brand

2. Itohkyuemon
http://www.itohkyuemon.co.jp/site/index2.html
Another Uji, Kyoto brand.
Their Matcha snacks very good

3. Ippodo
http://www.ippodo-tea.co.jp/
Kyoto Tea Brand. Very good Gyokuro. I will buy then distribute a few to my Japanese colleagues. They will ask me where they can buy this also. It is that good

Indeed the above brands are different, but it'll help only if s/he was heading to Kyoto, and we know not everyone is always visiting Kyoto in every trip like you. :)

Hetheone

Reaction score
If like those small seaweed, can lookout for this brand 山本山 ..... In Tokyo....

Their seaweed and Japanese tea is of certain standard.....

nemo88

Reaction score
I also go to the atas omiyage section in the depachikas - buy some limited seasonal items like jellied peaches or themed yokan. Very pricey sometimes but I buy for parents mainly.

kanashii23

Reaction score
Those common one like Tokyo Banana, Potatoe Farm, Shiroi Koibito, Calbee, Glico, Meiji, Kit Kat i don't bother. Maybe first time when i went Japan i brought but now going for 7th trip i already ate before most.
I am working in Japanese company, when Japanese client visit, omiyage is a must. Many like to give Tokyo Banana.
Per year i ate maybe 10 times Tokyo Banana. Maybe those very easy to get at airport so some people lazy.

1. Malebranche

2. Itohkyuemon

3. Ippodo
Kyoto Tea Brand. Very good Gyokuro. I will buy then distribute a few to my Japanese colleagues. They will ask me where they can buy this also. It is that good

All these never try before. will order tea from amazon.jp.
What other uncommon omiyage do you recommend from other parts of japan

ludacris10

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys any recommendations on where to learn/play snowboard cheaper ?? I have search here people talking about gala Yuzawa. Was wondering any cheaper options.

Me and my friend book tickets for feb and now planning a budget trip to just have fun in the slopes.

Found an Airbnb that provides discount for ski lifts at Yuzawamachi,Niigata-ken. Dont know if it's near to Gala yuzawa though

darkmatt

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
protip and this might get me killed by my friends if they find out

there is a variation of potato farm with a green colour band

it is equally as good as the original potato farm fries. Dun fight with the chinese nationals for potato farm fries :s13:

lol. no issue alr I think..

most don Quixote I went to got limit of 2 per person for "japan only" snacks.. lol

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I like yoku moku. Pricy though.

Next time I'll check out the daiso, don Quixote and ameyocho for imitate. :) Need to reduce expenses. :(

luvenergy

Reaction score
I will reach my hotel at ikebukuro at ard 4pm,any suggestion where can I visit to spend the rest of the day?
If I want to catch the train to Nikko which departs at 7.30am,do I have enough time to collect the ticket when the tobu office opens at 7.20am?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will reach my hotel at ikebukuro at ard 4pm,any suggestion where can I visit to spend the rest of the day?
If I want to catch the train to Nikko which departs at 7.30am,do I have enough time to collect the ticket when the tobu office opens at 7.20am?

Why not Visit Asakusa after check-in then? Its sensoji closing time when you reach kanarimon, but quite nice to walk around still. Grab your Tobu tickets and then walk across towards Sky tree. Tobu tickets can be bought from either in Asakusa or Skytree. If you are too tired, then just pop by Skytree to get the tix and look see at Skytree. After that head back to Ikebukuro via Oshiage's metro.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys any recommendations on where to learn/play snowboard cheaper ?? I have search here people talking about gala Yuzawa. Was wondering any cheaper options.

Me and my friend book tickets for feb and now planning a budget trip to just have fun in the slopes.

Found an Airbnb that provides discount for ski lifts at Yuzawamachi,Niigata-ken. Dont know if it's near to Gala yuzawa though

Ski resorts are not known to be cheap. Gala Yuzawa is very convenient to reach though. You'd need to rent your boots, ski gear, gloves, etc unless you have them. Dont forget good sunglasses.

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Those common one like Tokyo Banana, Potatoe Farm, Shiroi Koibito, Calbee, Glico, Meiji, Kit Kat i don't bother. Maybe first time when i went Japan i brought but now going for 7th trip i already ate before most.
I am working in Japanese company, when Japanese client visit, omiyage is a must. Many like to give Tokyo Banana.
Per year i ate maybe 10 times Tokyo Banana. Maybe those very easy to get at airport so some people lazy.

1. Malebranche

2. Itohkyuemon

3. Ippodo

wow.. i am doing day trip for kyoto, worth to find?

nemo88

Reaction score
wow.. i am doing day trip for kyoto, worth to find?

You can get all three at Kyoto Station, no need to find the main retail shops in the city if time is an issue for you.

I don't know anyone that doesn't buy Malebranche and at least one of the tea brands when visiting Kyoto!

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can get all three at Kyoto Station, no need to find the main retail shops in the city if time is an issue for you.

I don't know anyone that doesn't buy Malebranche and at least one of the tea brands when visiting Kyoto!

wow.. only at kyoto station? ok good then its easy to get..

deepblue_82

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not Visit Asakusa after check-in then? Its sensoji closing time when you reach kanarimon, but quite nice to walk around still. Grab your Tobu tickets and then walk across towards Sky tree. Tobu tickets can be bought from either in Asakusa or Skytree. If you are too tired, then just pop by Skytree to get the tix and look see at Skytree. After that head back to Ikebukuro via Oshiage's metro.

sorry to hj this post.. i am also thinking of go to asakusa.. how is the sky tree? worth the time? first timer to japan..

ludacris10

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ski resorts are not known to be cheap. Gala Yuzawa is very convenient to reach though. You'd need to rent your boots, ski gear, gloves, etc unless you have them. Dont forget good sunglasses.

Thanks for replying. I'm not staying at the resorts; just going to the mountains to snowboard/ski. I've checked out the prices and it's around 100+ for the board/boot/glove/helmet.

Anyway I've narrowed down to Naeba/Yuzawa, Niigata to board so right now just have to find a decent instructor for a day before spending another day alone.

luvenergy

Reaction score

Thanks for the suggestion,this sound great.since I've the Nikko all day pass,can I book the train seats in advance?

Hetheone

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I'm not staying at the resorts; just going to the mountains to snowboard/ski. I've checked out the prices and it's around 100+ for the board/boot/glove/helmet.

Anyway I've narrowed down to Naeba/Yuzawa, Niigata to board so right now just have to find a decent instructor for a day before spending another day alone.

Snowboarding is not that safe as u tink......

If u r beginner, I would suggest u go to yuzawa kogen ( near echigo yuzawa station )

For u to learn snowboarding....

It much much cheaper as it run by local Japanese.....

Until u r used to it then u go to gala yuzawa or naspa....

All is in yuzawa town, got free shuttle bus from gala to echigo yuzawa station to naspa..

If u r travelling from tokyo to yuzawa, there r some JR train pass packages come with rental of ski gear etc...

tc4237

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ueno area museums and Zoo:

Hi, im planning to get a Grutto Pass to visit various museums around the Ueno area and maybe a few more around tokyo area. For those around Ueno area, how long will it take? can complete in one day?

Also, is the pass really worth it? Or most of the museums around that area is waste time, and therefore, making the pass not really worth it?

ludacris10

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Snowboarding is not that safe as u tink......

If u r beginner, I would suggest u go to yuzawa kogen ( near echigo yuzawa station )

For u to learn snowboarding....

It much much cheaper as it run by local Japanese.....

Until u r used to it then u go to gala yuzawa or naspa....

All is in yuzawa town, got free shuttle bus from gala to echigo yuzawa station to naspa..

If u r travelling from tokyo to yuzawa, there r some JR train pass packages come with rental of ski gear etc...

Thanks for the clarification. I'm thinking of just doing a 2 day snow day with the first day being a crash course in snowboarding. Would that be sufficient? After that I'm thinking of just visiting an onsen and taking in the sights before heading back to tokyo for a day before flying off.

And I dont think buying a JR pass is feasible as I'm only there for 5days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.