Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairnsquare

Reaction score
I did a tokyo-kyoto-osaka. Didn't buy the JR pass since there's no need for return shinkansen. Buying a prepaid icoca is way easier as in Kyoto, very few options are covered by JR pass. Also, in Tokyo, you can just take any of the private metros without having to tediously plan your routes around the JR pass since it only covers JR lines. Just need to buy icoca at Osaka, then purchase your shinkansen ticket from Kyoto to Tokyo in advance when you reach either osaka or Kyoto and you're set.

Hi, can Suica card be used in Osaka/Kyoto or surrounding area? or need to purchase Icoca card?

Thanks

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi any experts here can advise me if I need to buy a 7 days JR pass if I am going Osaka-Kyoto-Tokyo? 1st time going there with my wife next month for a full 9 days trip..
If you are flying back from Tokyo then don't buy JR pass.

nemo88

Reaction score
Local, Rapid, Special Rapid those u can use it

But then limited express, Super Express (Shinkansen). You need to buy a physical ticket.

For limited express you can simply pay for the non-reserved seat fee on the train, but best to just get your ticket up front to avoid confusion or misunderstanding if you don't speak the local language.

nemo88

Reaction score
Agree on the higashiyama area. That is good enough for most. With Ninen/Sanen saka and the beautiful backdrop of Yasaka Pogoda, its as Kyoto as it can be. Throw in a Ishibei-koji before ending up at Yasaka Jinja, hor seh liao.

Indeed - i love the Higashiyama area and aside from the shops it's so tempting to just walk around the side residential streets as well. Which is why I say the poster should set aside 3hrs for Kiyomizudera+Higashiyama.

If the area really doesn't interest him and he's done in less than 2, then that's fine - he can move on to other things on the list or spend more time at Isetan. But cutting out Fushimi Inari and focusing on central Kyoto is key to making the day more adaptable.

oohmygod

Reaction score
If i can only visit either Lake Kawaguchiko or Hakone, which one shall i choose?

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
Tbh when travelling, I don't see the point to chiong from one place to another if it's gonna be just a touch and go. Just to say you've been there before when you have no interest to dwell and appreciate what is there? Liddat may as well follow tour. Tour groups are just that - bring you to well known places, give you some time snap pictures then shoo you up the tour bus to go to next place.

F&E is for you to plan where you WANT to go and spend your time at. If you want to shop and mostly shopping, don't allocate so many shrines and temples to do in a day. You won't appreciate any of it at the end of the day. Just pick one or two at max if you REALLY want to visit it, not because everyone say it's a must go and you don't feel like going even after looking at the photos.

Ash like snow, I'm not attacking you ah, please don't take it personally. I do agree with AHSS suggestion, maybe just stick to kiyomizudera and higashiyama since its at the same area. You'll have time to appreciate the temple and the views there, while not feeling rushed or restrained by time. Those shops leading up to kiyomizudera will have you spending some time in them because they are all souvenir shops and they sell interesting stuff. After that if nishiki still open then you can drop by it. If not then you just continue with your shopping plans liao, since that's the main highlight of your trip.

This is just my personal opinion la. I understand that not everyone thinks the same way...

ok i know where u are coming from. although my main priority is shopping but since japan is mostly all about shrines and temples, thats why i dont mind exploring now although im quite reluctant at first.

for me, i would try to cover as many as possible when im there. i know travelling isnt about rushing from A to B but i have limited time in kyoto :(

i really wanna cover till nishiki market/castle part. yes it will be very rush or not possible at all. but i can forgo my sleep and wake at 6am and leave by 7am. since most places like fushimi opens 24hrs? so i can go there early morning and continue my itinerary.

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shopping for me i would prefer Tokyo...Go Gotemba Premium Outlet if able to..

Comparing mainstream shopping in Osaka vs Tokyo, Tokyo for me..

Especially if u gonna head there before end of trip then makes sense to hoot there..Osaka also got premium outlet(Rinku)..Spend more time at a more leisure pace for Kyoto..

nemo88

Reaction score
ok i know where u are coming from. although my main priority is shopping but since japan is mostly all about shrines and temples, thats why i dont mind exploring now although im quite reluctant at first.

for me, i would try to cover as many as possible when im there. i know travelling isnt about rushing from A to B but i have limited time in kyoto :(

i really wanna cover till nishiki market/castle part. yes it will be very rush or not possible at all. but i can forgo my sleep and wake at 6am and leave by 7am. since most places like fushimi opens 24hrs? so i can go there early morning and continue my itinerary.

It seems like you have a very fixed notion of what you want to cover in the one day and are very persistent it can be done despite everyone's recommendations to the contrary.

Then by all means go ahead - we all have different travel priorities and preferences after all. What works for you might not work for others and there's nothing wrong with it.

JX1983

Reaction score
I did a tokyo-kyoto-osaka. Didn't buy the JR pass since there's no need for return shinkansen. Buying a prepaid icoca is way easier as in Kyoto, very few options are covered by JR pass. Also, in Tokyo, you can just take any of the private metros without having to tediously plan your routes around the JR pass since it only covers JR lines. Just need to buy icoca at Osaka, then purchase your shinkansen ticket from Kyoto to Tokyo in advance when you reach either osaka or Kyoto and you're set.

Wow thanks for the reply at least I can save $700+ on the pass now lol.. So I suppose I don't need to get any transport pass in SG before I head over there next month right..

Last edited:

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Great thanks :) Yes my arrival will be at Haneda Airport and back to SG from Haneda Airport too..

If arrival and departure from hnd and going to Osaka/Kyoto then get the JRP.. he probably tot u touchdown kix and depart from Tokyo..

As long as doing return trip from Kyoto/Osaka from Tokyo then JRP would be worth it..if one way only then just buy single trip ticket..

qhong61

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Holiday is supposed to be relaxing.

Takagi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Shopping for me i would prefer Tokyo...Go Gotemba Premium Outlet if able to..

Comparing mainstream shopping in Osaka vs Tokyo, Tokyo for me..

Especially if u gonna head there before end of trip then makes sense to hoot there..Osaka also got premium outlet(Rinku)..Spend more time at a more leisure pace for Kyoto..
Gotemba Premium Outlet quite a lot of tourists

many many tiongs n indo chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.