Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
not interested in theme park…
juz wan2 noe for 1st timer is it too rush for going 3 suburban places…

juz found out Ghibli Museum too far from Odaiba…

Mitaka to Odaiba is actually fine. Try and get the 10am tickets for Ghibli, you'll most likely be done by 2pm latest. The museum is small (but a fantastic place for all hardcore Ghibli fans) actually. There's more than enough time to get to Odaiba and shop there for the rest of the day.

nivlac9

Reaction score
Hi anyone got recommendations for airport transfer from narita to keio plaza hotel?

3 adults, 3 kids

Thanks

salik89

Reaction score
Quick question on the JR pass.

I have bought the pass online (7days), but as I will be arriving on Friday night, but I wanted to activate/collect my pass on Saturday so that it is more worthwhile.

My question is:
- Can I collect it on Friday (Suppose the office is still open) and have the pass activated for Saturday?
- For the reserved seating, since I already bought it, suppose I cannot do the above point, can I still do reserve?

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quick question on the JR pass.

I have bought the pass online (7days), but as I will be arriving on Friday night, but I wanted to activate/collect my pass on Saturday so that it is more worthwhile.

My question is:
- Can I collect it on Friday (Suppose the office is still open) and have the pass activated for Saturday?
- For the reserved seating, since I already bought it, suppose I cannot do the above point, can I still do reserve?

First question - YES! Tell the date you want to activate.

Second question - YES! Exchange first and then reserve la. Assuming the train at certain time is not fully packed, you can reserve. You are advised to do at Travel Service Centre (Midori-no-Madoguchi) at Tokyo, Shinjuku, and Ikebukuro stations - I assume you come at Tokyo. The centre at Narita Airport will let you to exchange and reserve one - they need to handle many customers and so they advise you to do make more reservation at these stations.

salik89

Reaction score
First question - YES! Tell the date you want to activate.

Second question - YES! Exchange first and then reserve la. Assuming the train at certain time is not fully packed, you can reserve. You are advised to do at Travel Service Centre (Midori-no-Madoguchi) at Tokyo, Shinjuku, and Ikebukuro stations - I assume you come at Tokyo. The centre at Narita Airport will let you to exchange and reserve one - they need to handle many customers and so they advise you to do make more reservation at these stations.

Thanks Tony. I will got to tokyo eventually, but as I will be staying at Toyoko Inn, the one near to Haneda Airport, we are thinking of going there early to do the exchange and reserve then all the way to osaka on our second day.

Any good recommendations for staying at Osaka/ Tokyo? Like which area will be best to consider for getting around easily if I am mainly going for those tourism spots. FYI, current mode of transportation for my trip will mostly be trains/ buses and walking

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I will got to tokyo eventually, but as I will be staying at Toyoko Inn, the one near to Haneda Airport, we are thinking of going there early to do the exchange and reserve then all the way to osaka on our second day.

Any good recommendations for staying at Osaka/ Tokyo? Like which area will be best to consider for getting around easily if I am mainly going for those tourism spots. FYI, current mode of transportation for my trip will mostly be trains/ buses and walking

Osaka? Namba or Umeda. Just take train and walk. Buses are not necessary at Osaka unless you are going to Kyoto.

I advise you to look accommodation on your own around Namba or Umeda. My suggestion may not be fitting to you if you have different ideas.

salik89

Reaction score
Osaka? Namba or Umeda. Just take train and walk. Buses are not necessary at Osaka unless you are going to Kyoto.

I advise you to look accommodation on your own around Namba or Umeda. My suggestion may not be fitting to you if you have different ideas.

The buses are optional. Just stating for just in case.

Will be going to Kyoto (since will be getting the 7 days jr pass, may as well)

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The buses are optional. Just stating for just in case.

Will be going to Kyoto (since will be getting the 7 days jr pass, may as well)

Simple thumb rule is that if the train system is very comprehensive, you don't need bus.

Kyoto train system is not that comprehensive and you will utilize JR pass less at Kyoto. Bus is great choice if you cannot walk on very long distance to attractions at Kyoto.

melvados

Reaction score
Hi all, on my last day of my trip as I am having a late night flight at 10pm (my friend is leaving first), can I store my luggage at Haneda Airport? I suppose I can only use the coin lockers for it?

Additionally, if I am to explore tokyo to kill time, what is the best place to do so? And should I buy a pass or normal ticket?

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, on my last day of my trip as I am having a late night flight at 10pm (my friend is leaving first), can I store my luggage at Haneda Airport? I suppose I can only use the coin lockers for it?

Additionally, if I am to explore tokyo to kill time, what is the best place to do so? And should I buy a pass or normal ticket?

It is good thing that you are leaving from Haneda. Go to 2nd floor of Haneda International Airport. On the right, you will see a small shop.

13051499_10153806395357479_3108341445035893802_n_zps843ukvvv.jpg

The cost per day is base on the size of luggage or backpack. That is what the counter gentleman did. I paid 300 yen for a day from 6am to 10pm.

Buy round trip 1-day Tokyo Subway Ticket (Keikyu round trip pass + Toei/Tokyo Metro 1 day pass). Passport is needed to show. 1500 yen. The counter is also on 2nd floor. It is located behind the elevators, moonrail counter, and 7-11 IIRC

http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_welcometokyo.html

Shinjuku+Ginza+Asakusa or Odaiba+Roppongi

melvados

Reaction score
It is good thing that you are leaving from Haneda. Go to 2nd floor of Haneda International Airport. On the right, you will see a small shop.

The cost per day is base on the size of luggage or backpack. That is what the counter gentleman did. I paid 300 yen for a day from 6am to 10pm.

Buy round trip 1-day Tokyo Subway Ticket (Keikyu round trip pass + Toei/Tokyo Metro 1 day pass). Passport is needed to show. 1500 yen. The counter is also on 2nd floor. It is located behind the elevators, moonrail counter, and 7-11 IIRC

http://www.haneda-tokyo-access.com/en/info/discountticket_welcometokyo.html

Shinjuku+Ginza+Asakusa or Odaiba+Roppongi

Cool, thanks for the info!

Noob question here - The Toei + Tokyo Metro lines, it simply means all those lines as shown in the legend (the map) in the link you have provided right?

Also, are there any place nearby that is worth checking out?

Last edited:

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info!

Noob question here - The Toei + Tokyo Metro lines, it simply means all those lines as shown in the legend (the map) in the link you have provided right?

Also, are there any place nearby that is worth checking out?

I recommend you to use this map:

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwaymap/pdf/routemap_en.pdf

Tokyo Metro-Toei Subway pass let you go to any station on this map. The tip is to follow the coloured line.

How near? How many hours can you spare?

Listen the announcement or just transfer at Sengakuji from Keikyu to Tokyo Metro's Asakusa line (red line).

Last edited:

crntbs

Reaction score

I would suggest storing your lugguage with the hotel or train station locker if you've intended to roam ard tokyo to kill time.

sesame246

Reaction score
travel pass
------------

will be going kyoto + Osaka early Mar. Accomodation 3 days kyoto, 4 day Osaka. Plan to do day trips to Nara and kobe.

there are so many different travel passes. Train are run by many different rail companies. I am confused. what should i get?

thanks

TonyDelPiero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
travel pass
------------

will be going kyoto + Osaka early Mar. Accomodation 3 days kyoto, 4 day Osaka. Plan to do day trips to Nara and kobe.

there are so many different travel passes. Train are run by many different rail companies. I am confused. what should i get?

thanks

One way to tackle is to choose attraction you want to go and find out what is the nearest train station and how many mins walking can be done to reach there from train station.

For most attractions in Kyoto, if you are not committed to walk for 30mins -1 hrs, you can buy 1 day bus pass.

JR pass limited to Kansai region is ideal if JR stations are within reasonable walking distance such as Nijo Castle, Bamboo Grove, Fushimi Inari Taisha, Nara Park (about 30 mins walk), Namba, Umeda. Kobe

Kinetetsu-Nara is nearer to Nara Park than JR Nara.

You should be able to form your own travel schedule like that.

salik89

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me hotels within tokyo that is:
- Either have free shuttles to Shingawa/ Keikyu Line or easy access to Haneda Airport, my friend is having an early flight at 9am
- Looking for budget lis probably 100-120 per night (2, pax, so 50-60 dollars each)

So far, I have found 2 - Toyoko Inn Shinagawa-eki Konan-guchi Tennozu and Tokyu Stay Kamata.. Unfortunately the latter only have smoking and do not have any availibility on the first of the 4 days I am staying. If anyone have any recommendations, do tell!

Also, we are planning to go to Kyoto SpaWorld, not confirmed yet, can anyone kindly tell how is the place? And what etiquette to take note of as this is the first time that we are going to such place

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me hotels within tokyo that is:
- Either have free shuttles to Shingawa/ Keikyu Line or easy access to Haneda Airport, my friend is having an early flight at 9am
- Looking for budget lis probably 100-120 per night (2, pax, so 50-60 dollars each)

So far, I have found 2 - Toyoko Inn Shinagawa-eki Konan-guchi Tennozu and Tokyu Stay Kamata.. Unfortunately the latter only have smoking and do not have any availibility on the first of the 4 days I am staying. If anyone have any recommendations, do tell!

Also, we are planning to go to Kyoto SpaWorld, not confirmed yet, can anyone kindly tell how is the place? And what etiquette to take note of as this is the first time that we are going to such place

You mean Spaworld at Osaka?
http://www.spaworld.co.jp/english/

If you are at the onsen area, you will need to follow the Japanese onsen rule, which is basically naked and washing of body before entering, no soaking of towel into the pool, no tattoo(few allowed, most dont), no swimming etc. You can goolgle easily the onsen etiquette.

For a more authentic experience, since you are in Kansai, you could try Arima Onsen or further north to Kinusaki Onsen. Those are the real things.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html

If you dont intend to pay 2400yen for Spaworld, you can try out on the cheaper

http://www.spasuminoe.jp/hotspring/index.html at 650yen only

Or slightly more expensive 800yen
http://www.naniwanoyu.com/onsen/index.html

Incidentally, they are both under the free access bundle for Osaka Amazing Pass. The 2 listed above are "onsen" only facilities. Spaworld is more like a water theme park that has an "onsen" section.

http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/facility/free.php

If you have amazing pass, Spaworld gives you 200yen discount though.

If you are in the Tokyo Asakusa neighborhood, you can try their Jakotsuyu, 450yen
http://hotspringaddict.blogspot.com/2014/02/best-hot-spring-in-asakusa-tokyo.html

Last edited:

Laundryman

Reaction score
Salik89, 100-120 restricts you to mainly compact Japanese biz hotels. Must stay away from Smoking rooms, the smell is overwhelming as they stick to the wallpapers, carpets that no air freshener can get rid of. Suggest you stay in the Shinagawa hotels as its major transport hub (ie. lots of eateries and decent shopping). Most hotels don't provide free shuttle as Tokyo has so many train lines/stations. With the Japan pass, Shinagawa will bring you to all the major tourist spots on the popular circular Yamanota line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.