Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's budget beef bowl chains ( yoshinoya, matsuya), ramen, curry rice, Japanese burger places all over the place. They're better and cheaper than same type of food here.

Checkout tokyocheapo.com

Even in cafes set meals are available at jpy1000-1500.

Must go to department store food hall after 7pm for discounted food. There's lots of variety and free samples.

Last edited:

allan_nalla

Reaction score
Tohoku then if you're visiting in October for autumn colors.

Maybe it's just me. but you cannot not go Kyoto if your purpose is to see the foilage. Even locals go to kyoto for foilage. you know how good the sight there is going to be. No doubt there's quite a bit of tourist spike recently. but venture into some quiet streets, you will see the beauty the city is able to give you.

16 - 17days can give you a good tokyo - nagoya - kyoto - osaka trip. Just do a open jaw, fly in to haneda and out from KIX.

Ahhh thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out and discuss with my partner from there. Thanks! :s12:

kenchi

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yoshinoya & Its likes lor
Usually is my usual meals on budget even the curry rice is quite good
But recently I noticed Yoshinoya take in non local for staff whom English is bad too if its nihonjin I will understands if English is bad but non Nihonjin but English is don't even understands makes me zzzxz

Even make wrong order even when I shown them the menu and not first time in the end I skip tat outlet and go else where

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Must go to department store food hall after 7pm for discounted food. There's lots of variety and free samples.

Neighbourhood supermarkets even cheaper. That is how I manage to do Japan on a budget haha. :s13:

The discounted food is truly value for money in Japan.

Yoshinoya & Its likes lor
Usually is my usual meals on budget even the curry rice is quite good
But recently I noticed Yoshinoya take in non local for staff whom English is bad too if its nihonjin I will understands if English is bad but non Nihonjin but English is don't even understands makes me zzzxz

Even make wrong order even when I shown them the menu and not first time in the end I skip tat outlet and go else where

Just like our MIW, I think Abe's government is importing FTs in super stealth mode (puts US drone to shame) as you know Japan is a very protectionist society. :D

Many years ago I encountered Eastern European cashier at McDonalds in Tokyo. Nowadays I encountered a lot of PRC retail sales staff. They are everywhere! Also saw a South Asian (looks Pakistani to me but could be Japanese citizen) cashier at Lawson convenience store.

Last edited:

marsbarsz

Reaction score
there's always some small stores that sell cheaper food even if they are located in a touristy area. In fact the chances are higher for you to get one. And their 7-11/Lawson/Family are everywhere and well stocked with ready to eat take-aways. I think you shouldn't worry much about cheaper food in Tokyo at all.

Besides, you will be travelling non stop round the city, you wouldn't be just hanging out in the neighborhood of your lodging only right? From my own experience, I usually get my breakfast and supper (if still have any energy left) near my neighbor hood. Lunch is always somewhere else. Dinner is most likely somewhere else too or settled with an heavy late lunch before heading back to lodging. Passing by any co-op or konbini, i just grab some simple food for supper and next day breakfast.

BTW, my own observation is that Tokyo doesn't have "yum cha" culture. So there's no early morning eateries open other than the western cafe.

Yup that is true. You are right I was actually thinking of this "yum cha" thing. Like exploring the neighborhood abit. So would you say I just go ahead and book accommodations in Shibuya?

You might want to also consider areas that's one subway stop away from the main yamanote line. else, i think it's difficult to find accomo around 40/night at those touristy stations.

just go onto airbnb and hunt. you should be able to find something like this: https://www.airbnb.com.sg/rooms/8957035

Thanks! Yes I am thinking of doing that. Since my budget is abit lower, would you staying in shared hostels in tourist area is better or staying in private rooms but in non-tourist area is better?

There's budget beef bowl chains ( yoshinoya, matsuya), ramen, curry rice, Japanese burger places all over the place. They're better and cheaper than same type of food here.

Checkout tokyocheapo.com

Even in cafes set meals are available at jpy1000-1500.

Okay great will check the link out! That's good news. So when you say all over the places, do you mean to say like what cpuer replied above? That budget eateries can be found more in tourist location?

And if so, would you recommend that I just go ahead to find an accommodation in shibuya?

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lots of PRC in Japan liao. Last trip, got few times sales staff / service staff / ski staff speak to me and my wife in japanese first, then when it's obvious that we dun understand (well), they switch to mandarin, lol.

PRC retail sales staff speak to me in Mandarin also good. My nihon is cannot the make it. :s13:

Now the cheaper JPY damn value for shopping and spending in Japan haha.

Okay great will check the link out! That's good news. So when you say all over the places, do you mean to say like what cpuer replied above? That budget eateries can be found more in tourist location?

And if so, would you recommend that I just go ahead to find an accommodation in shibuya?

For Tokyo if really want cheap you must stay and eat in cheaper districts outside of Ginza, Shibuya, Roppongi, Ueno, etc.

There are no cheap eating places that resembles anything like a cafe or restaurant. To eat cheaply your option is to cook, supermarket takeaway food, McDonald's or those old school neighbourhood standing soba shops. Convenience store takeaway food and drinks are expensive.

I live like a giam siap Jap pensioner when in Japan. LOL. :D

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup that is true. You are right I was actually thinking of this "yum cha" thing. Like exploring the neighborhood abit. So would you say I just go ahead and book accommodations in Shibuya?

Thanks! Yes I am thinking of doing that. Since my budget is abit lower, would you staying in shared hostels in tourist area is better or staying in private rooms but in non-tourist area is better?

actually, you just concerned with the accommodation cost will do. Cheap food are everywhere. And like someone said, you can even cook it yourself if you so choose and have the facility inside your accommodation to do it.

I don't know how cheaply you want to eat daily. But the trade off would be taste and quality of the food. How much are you willing to forgo by going Tokyo? Are you sacrificing too much by going to an expensive city? The cheapest transport cost in Tokyo is quite high vis a vis SIN. That could be more a concerned than your low cost food in your accommodation area. Within the metropolitan, you would need about $10 min a day to get around, going to the surrounding area outside of the metropolitan would cost you much much more.

To eat sufficiently, my lowest is about average $20 per day. can be lower if I eat some more butter loafs. But it's miserable at times if the budget is too low. as some delicious food are really hard to pass up without eating it. And they are so many in Tokyo :D

I stayed in this hotel/hostel before
http://www.toukaisou.com/

Its quite cheap for a room with built in bathroom. If you book it, book the tatami ones. Its much more spacious than those with a bed as you can roll away your soft bed after use. Those room with fixed bed frame are really small, so small that I have to stepped onto the bed to go in and out of toilet or to the door.

But location is not fantastic. You need to walk about 6 to 7min to the Ginza line metro stn. Asakusa stn is 10min away. But food are plenty there, high end or low end all available. There's a co-op supermarket just outside on the main road from the hotel.

Good luck.

dungeonalley

Reaction score

i personally cannot do shared toilets so i'll always go for private toilet options. And i dont like the crowd. so I would rather stay a bit non touristy place. esp after one whole day of shopping and visiting touristy places also, plus some non touristy place have cheap food as well. and for food, you can always go for those standing sushi/ramen bars which are generally cheaper than sit downs. or even those salaryman food places 24hrs, small bar seats kind.

Reaction score
Neighbourhood supermarkets even cheaper. That is how I manage to do Japan on a budget haha. :s13:

The discounted food is truly value for money in Japan.

Just like our MIW, I think Abe's government is importing FTs in super stealth mode (puts US drone to shame) as you know Japan is a very protectionist society. :D

Many years ago I encountered Eastern European cashier at McDonalds in Tokyo. Nowadays I encountered a lot of PRC retail sales staff. They are everywhere! Also saw a South Asian (looks Pakistani to me but could be Japanese citizen) cashier at Lawson convenience store.
I hoot a few box of veggie for <100 Yen each. Bad thing is expired after the next day :(

I dun really buy the bento even though most below 500 Yen

Sent from 穷挫矮胖永独 using GAGT

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For transport best is get subway tourist pass for travelling within the city. Damn value.

http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/ticket/value/travel/index.html#anc02
http://www.osaka-info.jp/en/plan/practical_information/travel_passes/osaka_visitors_ticket.html

I hoot a few box of veggie for <100 Yen each. Bad thing is expired after the next day :(

I dun really buy the bento even though most below 500 Yen

Unless it is winter time or you have a fridge best is to finish consuming perishables on the day itself. :D

Bento is the most convenient. Just heat it up with microwave and dig in. Due to the quality and freshness of food sold in Japan. The lousiest taste is also very satisfactory. Thinking about it makes me very hungry now. :s13:

most of the PRC/foreigners there are mostly students doing part time so..

Pardon my ignorance but I did not know foreign students can work part time while studying in Japan.

Hi, check with u all, for JAL, with the 2 x 23kg luggage, are they particular with the individual 23kg, or combine 46 is fiine? Likewise, okay with using 3 luggage but total not exceeding 46?

For most airlines as long as combined weight does not exceed allowed weight then it is not a problem.

Only low cost carriers very giam siap. They will even weigh your carry on cabin luggage. Nowadays if I fly full service carriers I do not bother to check in luggage unless it is a work trip or I want to bring back 20KG worth of Japan made food products haha. :D

Last edited:

laeticia

Reaction score
Hi, check with u all, for JAL, with the 2x23kg luggage, are they particular with the individual 23kg, or combine 46 is fiine? Likewise, okay with using 3 luggage but total not exceeding 46?

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT
I took ANA last year, they weighed both bags and I had to repack at the counter cos 1 bag was like 27kg thereabouts. 46kg total not exceeded, just that 1 bag was way over the 23kg limit.

I ended up hand carrying the extra and checked with the counter person that they will let me board carrying so many extra shopping bags

Sent from Samsung SM-T705 using GAGT

Mr.Canberra

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I took ANA last year, they weighed both bags and I had to repack at the counter cos 1 bag was like 27kg thereabouts. 46kg total not exceeded, just that 1 bag was way over the 23kg limit.

I ended up hand carrying the extra and checked with the counter person that they will let me board carrying so many extra shopping bags.

A big size trolley luggage weighs approximately 5KGs already. To save check-in luggage weight simply dump away shop boxes, packaging materials and paper material shopping bags.

Put all personal or extra items into a bigger size recyclable bag (very light weight) for cabin carry on. One look at someone's luggage or bag I can deduce this person is frequent traveller or not.

All these packing methods can shave off a few KGs easily and avoid unnecessary overweight luggage fees. :s13:

I hate checking in luggage as can zoom out of immigration/customs as soon as I land at airport. Due to this I encounter several times some passenger asked me if I can help them to check in their extra luggage. I politely reply, "No offence it is not that I do not want to help you. But if the luggage has any problem with customs I will become implicated."

Later boh dai boh ji kena accused as 20KG ganja smuggler then how!? You pay me some kopi money I also will not take such risks. :D

Ever since the emergence of low cost carriers I do not have this type of scenarios happening any more haha.

Last edited:

laeticia

Reaction score
A big size trolley luggage weighs approximately 5KGs already. To save check-in luggage weight simply dump away shop boxes, packaging materials and paper material shopping bags.

Put all personal or extra items into a bigger size recyclable bag (very light weight) for cabin carry on. One look at someone's luggage or bag I can deduce this person is frequent traveller or not.

All these packing methods can shave off a few KGs easily and avoid unnecessary overweight luggage fees. :s13:

I hate checking in luggage as can zoom out of immigration/customs as soon as I land at airport. Due to this I encounter several times some passenger asked me if I can help them to check in their extra luggage. I politely reply, "No offence it is not that I do not want to help you. But if the luggage has any problem with customs I will become implicated."

Later boh dai boh ji kena accused as 20KG ganja smuggler then how!? You pay me some kopi money I also will not take such risks. :D

Ever since the emergence of low cost carriers I do not have this type of scenarios happening any more haha.
You and I are very different travellers. I maximise both check-in and cabin allowance and I don't need you to tell me how to pack. Of cos I have already removed and thrown away as much excess packaging as I can just that my "2nd bag" is a foldable tote which doesn't fit as much as a regular suitcase. Which sane person goes to Japan and doesn't come back with any shopping as checked-in luggage??

holee

Reaction score
Hi, check with u all, for JAL, with the 2x23kg luggage, are they particular with the individual 23kg, or combine 46 is fiine? Likewise, okay with using 3 luggage but total not exceeding 46?

Sent from Samsung SM-N910G using GAGT

I travelled to Japan via JAL last December. They are very strict with the luggage weight requirement. Individual luggage must not exceed 23kg. One of my luggage was 24.5kg, and I was asked to re-pack.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Which sane person goes to Japan and doesn't come back with any shopping as checked-in luggage??

I don't. I hate shopping, both locally or overseas, hence I will never go shopping when I'm overseas unless I absolutely need something.

Just because I have different preference as compared to you when going overseas doesn't mean I'm not a sane person. :s22:

thwysg

Reaction score
I don't. I hate shopping, both locally or overseas, hence I will never go shopping when I'm overseas unless I absolutely need something.

Just because I have different preference as compared to you when going overseas doesn't mean I'm not a sane person. :s22:

Me too. Didn't shop when I travelled alone in February as my luggage was full of my winter clothing. Carried a backpack when I was moving around for 6 days (within Izu Peninsula then towards Nagaoka and back to Tokyo) while the luggage was forwarded to Tokyo from Mishima. No space and no hands to carry too. One can't fault others for not buying much or even nothing back to Singapore.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am sane and hated shopping everywhere. (high 5-ing with all my fellow shopping hating bro and sis!):D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.