Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Btw is it better to use cash or card in Japan? I always thought it's more expensive to use cards @_@

To me, as long it's near to a JR station, even if it's a small room, I wouldn't mind!

Sent from dala dala using GAGT

I prefer to use cash. Use card only when I'm buying expensive items (more than S$100 after conversion) unexpectedly... usually that happens when friends suddenly wanted me to help buy some branded stuff. So whatever amount that cost in SGD after all the conversion will be reflected in my CC bill, and I'll just show it to them for them to pay me back in full in SGD. =:p

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw is it better to use cash or card in Japan? I always thought it's more expensive to use cards @_@

To me, as long it's near to a JR station, even if it's a small room, I wouldn't mind!

get the ICBC World Travel card. 3% rebate when use overseas. Should help a bit on the conversion and the charges incurred. Makes it very close to using cash(cost wise)

sgdividends

Reaction score
get the ICBC World Travel card. 3% rebate when use overseas. Should help a bit on the conversion and the charges incurred. Makes it very close to using cash(cost wise)
Hi cpuer,

Have u actually used it and saw the conversion ?

I am just theoretical using the MasterCard exchange rate and it's seems around nett 0.4% cashback

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
I prefer to use cash. Use card only when I'm buying expensive items (more than S$100 after conversion) unexpectedly... usually that happens when friends suddenly wanted me to help buy some branded stuff. So whatever amount that cost in SGD after all the conversion will be reflected in my CC bill, and I'll just show it to them for them to pay me back in full in SGD. =:p

haha alright! i think i'll change more cash since yen is getting better these days~! :s12:

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
im thinking of booking airbnb for osaka, is it legal already?
i saw some with many good reviews, not sure if they'll cancel our bookings last min :vijayadmin:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi cpuer,

Have u actually used it and saw the conversion ?

I am just theoretical using the MasterCard exchange rate and it's seems around nett 0.4% cashback

Havent gotten the chance to test yet. Coming trip to malsysia wanted to test it out :)

GetaBlue

Master Member
Reaction score
Does Don Quixote the best place to buy snacks back for colleagues? Or is Ueno Ameyoko cheaper?

I previously went to Ameyoko and I didn't manage to buy anything back. The things there seem limited compared go Don Quixote.

went ameyoko but was 4 years ago, was there to buy a sports bag as bought too many souvenir, went to this huge store selling many sweets and snacks, end up bought so much, had to buy another bag to bring home.....

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
went ameyoko but was 4 years ago, was there to buy a sports bag as bought too many souvenir, went to this huge store selling many sweets and snacks, end up bought so much, had to buy another bag to bring home.....

wah really? how come i didn't saw snacks :eek:
i do rmb there's a stall with a guy doing some auction of snacks in a bag....
but doesn't seems cheap n have alot of varieties compared to Don wor.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah really? how come i didn't saw snacks :eek:
i do rmb there's a stall with a guy doing some auction of snacks in a bag....
but doesn't seems cheap n have alot of varieties compared to Don wor.
There is a huge snack store at ameyoko.. Cant remember the exact name... 二木smthg

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Cash is still king in japan. A lot of places still dun take cards, especially those ryokans, small restaurants, and souvenirs shops.

Card is more expensive because of the admin charges of 2.5%-4%. However, if u are earning rebates or miles, u maybe able to make up for tt, or even gain more

Reaction score

chainer22

Reaction score
Hi all, any places/neighbourhood in Tokyo similar to Shimokitazawa, Jiyugaoka, Koenji to recommend?

clementiboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
not sure if this has been asked before.
for those who have gone to Tsukiji, do you spend a night before, close to the market?
any sushi stores there to recommend?

any tips or recommendations cos it will be my first time going there.

thank you.

thwysg

Reaction score
Hi all,
for those who have gone to Tsukiji, do you spend a night before, close to the market?

thank you.

I once stayed at Park Hotel and walked to Tsukiji for breakfast. Anyway, had sushi at Edogin (recommended by Lonely Planet) in the first trip and after which I didn’t eat sushi at Tsukiji in other visits. Ate from other shops instead. Skip Sushi Dai and Daiwa Sushi. You’ll probably end up queueing many hours for a meal.

Try Sushi Zanmai Honten. Quite affordable. Many choices for you to choose in the Outer Market as well.
http://www.kiyomura.co.jp/shops/detail/1

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

thank you.

if you are on tight budget. Can spend the night at com com comic cafe than wake up about 4:30pm than walk to the tsukiji holding area to wait for slot.

thwysg

Reaction score
if you are on tight budget. Can spend the night at com com comic cafe than wake up about 4:30pm than walk to the tsukiji holding area to wait for slot.

Think you meant 4.30am. But nowadays even those who sign up GoVoyagin tours were told to be at the waiting area by 1.30am-2am so that they would get a number. 4.30am would be too late.

BigMonkey

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think you meant 4.30am. But nowadays even those who sign up GoVoyagin tours were told to be at the waiting area by 1.30am-2am so that they would get a number. 4.30am would be too late.

ya. i did what i did about a year ago. i believe the crowd has increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.