Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

azeris10

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Looking to do SIN-HND or NRT then exit via KIX-SIN. Will be using mixture of award and revenue ticket.

I understand that hotels will be more expensive - my worry is year end attractions or things to do will be less etc. or crowds are unbearable. Don’t want to be like stuck in the hotel and noting to visit except shopping.

Also in the middle of winter, not sure If it will be too cold. First time traveling winter.

Wondering if people who have went summer and winter to japan can comment on the differences

Last edited:

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on summer because haven't been there during summer. Went Tokyo+Kyoto during mid Dec 2 years back, was extremely windy and cold at Shinjuku. Average temp about 6-9 at night, which is actually not that cold (for me) but it was super windy, so that made the cold a lot worse as I didn't bring windbreaker. During the day it hovered around 12-15, with wind...

Kyoto on the other hand, wasn't that cold during the day. It could get cold at night, but it's not as windy as in Shinjuku so I was fine with the cold.

That being said, in such situation, just wear a fleece jacket and a windbreaker on top of it and you should be fine. Hands will be very cold though, so gloves are a must with heat packs in your jacket pockets if required.

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking sq for my next April trip, coming from korea

So I'll be buying:
SIN-ICN
HND-SIN

is $810 price ok?
Considering I need to buy another ticket from Korea to Japan (Osaka), taking Asiana $269

Total would cost me $1088 :(

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

apeape

Reaction score
Went japan before but first time planning dec trip around 16-18 days

Is it advisable to go during the 2nd week to last week of dec? Anything that I should take note of?

Christmas nothing much, eat chicken. New year dont stay too late, unless you want to mingle with drunk tourists. Save your shopping for 1st Jan, Loads of sales. one uniqlo heat-tech is enough, if you have another layer and thick wool jacket. Look at weather first thing u wake up. I had a day where it was pretty hot, then the next day freezing cold. had to go back to hotel just to change haha

azeris10

Reaction score
Can't comment on summer because haven't been there during summer. Went Tokyo+Kyoto during mid Dec 2 years back, was extremely windy and cold at Shinjuku. Average temp about 6-9 at night, which is actually not that cold (for me) but it was super windy, so that made the cold a lot worse as I didn't bring windbreaker. During the day it hovered around 12-15, with wind...

Kyoto on the other hand, wasn't that cold during the day. It could get cold at night, but it's not as windy as in Shinjuku so I was fine with the cold.

That being said, in such situation, just wear a fleece jacket and a windbreaker on top of it and you should be fine. Hands will be very cold though, so gloves are a must with heat packs in your jacket pockets if required.

Wah 6-9 degrees is quite low. Will take caution to dress sufficiently

azeris10

Reaction score
Christmas nothing much, eat chicken. New year dont stay too late, unless you want to mingle with drunk tourists. Save your shopping for 1st Jan, Loads of sales. one uniqlo heat-tech is enough, if you have another layer and thick wool jacket. Look at weather first thing u wake up. I had a day where it was pretty hot, then the next day freezing cold. had to go back to hotel just to change haha

I see. Still thinking whether to depart on 30 dec or 2 Jan. Might stay to see NYE And for the sales but of course hotel costs sure exceed shopping discounts

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking sq for my next April trip, coming from korea

So I'll be buying:
SIN-ICN
HND-SIN

is $810 price ok?
Considering I need to buy another ticket from Korea to Japan (Osaka), taking Asiana $269

Total would cost me $1088 :(

I don't know whats your itinerary but if you have time, you may wanna explore a different route.

From S Korea, u can take a ferry from Busan to Fukuoka (Kyushu) and then take the Shinkansen (perhaps buy the 7 day JR pass) and travel from Fukuoka to Osaka and then to Tokyo to catch ur flight back.

chirurene

Reaction score
I see. Still thinking whether to depart on 30 dec or 2 Jan. Might stay to see NYE And for the sales but of course hotel costs sure exceed shopping discounts

For late Dec, there are many winter illuminations if that is your sort of thing. Some of them might end on 25 Dec, others would have longer display time. Personally, i feel Tokyo Midtown and Shiodome are the ones not to miss if you are short of time.

For NYE, I remember there was celebration at Shibuya crossing, Tokyo Tower and Skytree when I was there 2 years. Most of the sales actually start from 3 Jan onwards so you might want to extend if you want to shop. Take note that some attractions/shops may close or end early from 31 Dec - 2 Jan.

apeape

Reaction score
For NYE, I remember there was celebration at Shibuya crossing, Tokyo Tower and Skytree when I was there 2 years. Most of the sales actually start from 3 Jan onwards so you might want to extend if you want to shop. Take note that some attractions/shops may close or end early from 31 Dec - 2 Jan.

Ya mine had a big countdown thingy. At 9pm it was massively crowded already, first time seeing tourist outnumbering Japanese. Went back apartment watch fireworks on TV and got drunk instead hhahaha.

The shop closures or early closures were pretty annoying too. Went all the way to Asakusa at 5pm with everything closed on one of those days -.-, and I really wanted to try their Melon-Pan.

apeape

Reaction score

their discount quite crazy leh. for eg. Adidas had 30-50% off, then if you surpass a minimum amount, extra 20% on the receipt. This was in Shinjuku, not factory outlet. I bought their workout attire for $5-$9 sia.

ash like snow

Master Member
Reaction score
I don't know whats your itinerary but if you have time, you may wanna explore a different route.

From S Korea, u can take a ferry from Busan to Fukuoka (Kyushu) and then take the Shinkansen (perhaps buy the 7 day JR pass) and travel from Fukuoka to Osaka and then to Tokyo to catch ur flight back.

My route is SIN-ICN-OSA-HND-SIN.
Thought of going busan but not confident enough to f&e, will be meeting someone in Osaka. So Fukuoka is out :(

another option is take Korean airlines for similar route ending with NRT-SIN instead (with transit in Seoul) for $1001.

That's y I'm leaning towards sq though more expensive, since I've to take into factor of NEX express ticket for KE

Last edited:

Tornesoul

Master Member
Reaction score
For kanazawa to shirakawago, is it a must to reserve the bus online for round trip there and back?

within shirakawago do u just walk around? planning a daytrip from kanazawa

are nohi and Hokutetsu buses equivalent?

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
For kanazawa to shirakawago, is it a must to reserve the bus online for round trip there and back?

within shirakawago do u just walk around? planning a daytrip from kanazawa

are nohi and Hokutetsu buses equivalent?

It's not exactly a must to reserve but it certainly gives you a piece of mind instead of being told that the timing you want is not available anymore at the counter...

I stayed one night at one of the gassho huts at Shirakawago, and yes basically it's just walking around the village. It's a very small place. Day trip is enough if you are not into the gassho hut/ryokan experience.

I booked with Nohi via JapanBusOnline. It was Nohi due to the bus timing that I was going for. Nohi and Hokutetsu are different companies but operating the same route at different timings.

melvados

Reaction score
Hi,

I have got some questions. So both me and my friends are planning to do about a 7 days trip, all within Kansai around Nov. Going to Nara, Kyoto, Osaka, USJ etc plus Minho Fall and Fushioukaku hot spring hotel (both which are somewhat out of the central Osaka.)

1. What pass would you suggest we should get?
2. We are planning to find a hotel within Osaka and use it as out 'base' as we branched out our ways to other areas. Do you think if this is ideal, or is hotel-hopping a even better idea? Are given the impression that it took about an hour to travel from Osaka station out to other places (with the exception of the two that I have mentioned which are out of central Osaka)

suffire

Reaction score
Have anyone been to Hiruzen? I wanted to spent some time there but I am not sure if there are any transport there as I do not drive.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can I walk along the Rainbow Bridge from Shibaura-futō Station to the statue of Liberty at Odaiba?

Is there a proper walking path?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.