Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!
I looked at Google maps and it said 3 h 52 min!
I guess Google maps tend to over estimate the travel time, factoring in the waiting time as well.

google map could be showing a route that is using local trains and require multiple transfers. not too sure if google map results are comprehensive, coz i usually use hyperdia to search for train routes.

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!
I guess Google maps tend to over estimate the travel time, factoring in the waiting time as well.

it's correct that google maps tend to be more conservative on the travel time, but the train time schedule is quite accurate. i always use google maps to plot out travel routes and time needed, in singapore, taiwan and japan.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think you need to play around the depart time & date
aounrd 9:25am, there is a direct train from kyoto to amanohashidate
Thanks for the tip!

ah_bee1987

Reaction score
I received this in my email yesterday from MFA. Japan is really suffering a lot lately.
-------------------------------------------------------
Dear Singaporeans,

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Typhoon 12 “Jongdari” is expected to approach and hit Japan Main Island (Honshu region) over this weekend, from Friday 27 Jul 2018 onwards.

Singaporeans are reminded to be prepared for the typhoon and take the necessary precautions when travelling in the affected areas. As travel plans could be affected due to inclement weather, do prepare alternate plans for possible flight delays or cancellations, including purchasing comprehensive travel insurance, preparing adequate medication, food and other necessities. Do monitor the local weather conditions closely and refer to JMA’s website at http://www.jma.go.jp/en/warn/index.html for the latest updates and weather warnings/advisories.

Separately, JMA has also forecasted that the temperature is likely to remain very high until early Aug in most parts of Japan. Singaporeans are therefore advised to take precautions against heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. For more information on the prevention measures, please refer to the website of the Japan Ministry of the Environment at http://www.wbgt.env.go.jp/en/doc_prevention.php

In the event of an emergency, please heed the advice of the local authorities and follow their instructions.

Stay safe.

Consular Section
Singapore Embassy in Tokyo
Tel: +81 3 3586 9111 (+81 90-3208-4122 after office hours)

Ruriel

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I received this in my email yesterday from MFA. Japan is really suffering a lot lately.
Dear Singaporeans,

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), Typhoon 12 “Jongdari” is expected to approach and hit Japan Main Island (Honshu region) over this weekend, from Friday 27 Jul 2018 onwards.

Singaporeans are reminded to be prepared for the typhoon and take the necessary precautions when travelling in the affected areas. As travel plans could be affected due to inclement weather, do prepare alternate plans for possible flight delays or cancellations, including purchasing comprehensive travel insurance, preparing adequate medication, food and other necessities. Do monitor the local weather conditions closely and refer to JMA’s website at http://www.jma.go.jp/en/warn/index.html for the latest updates and weather warnings/advisories.

Separately, JMA has also forecasted that the temperature is likely to remain very high until early Aug in most parts of Japan. Singaporeans are therefore advised to take precautions against heatstroke and heat-related illnesses. For more information on the prevention measures, please refer to the website of the Japan Ministry of the Environment at http://www.wbgt.env.go.jp/en/doc_prevention.php

In the event of an emergency, please heed the advice of the local authorities and follow their instructions.

Stay safe.

Consular Section

Thanks for sharing.

Take care, for those who are there, and those who are heading there this weekend (due to typhoon) till August (due to heatwave) as well.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear Singaporeans,

Stay safe.

Consular Section

In general, it is not so good to visit Japan from June- August bcos of the hot and wet weather.

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First 1-2 weeks of June is still ok. Just short sleeve and jeans all the way. Mid-June onwards is when the weather becomes SGish.

thwysg

Reaction score
Why summer??

Generally good weather during summer in Hokkaido. Depends on individual’s preference, been to Honshu a few times from June to August for festivals. I won’t mind heading back to Honshu in summer.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First 1-2 weeks of June is still ok. Just short sleeve and jeans all the way. Mid-June onwards is when the weather becomes SGish.

Yes, perhaps 1st 2 weeks of June still ok but need to plus minus therefore I included the whole of June as well.

I was there (in Honshu) last month - mid Jun till end Jun.
It was raining 50% of the time and the fog was bad in the mountains (Nikko and Hakone) so visibility was poor and the trip to Nikko was totally ruined.

Towards the end of my trip, the weather was like Singapore and the sun was scorching hot.

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why summer??

bcos summer Hokkaido is not as hot as e mainland n got all these :s12: (pics from google)

2tr6x546011.jpg

furano-lavender-2.jpg

4b1fa4e5b7ee6920c1cbb05fddd2da8a.jpg

20150810_DSC9464-610x340.jpg

Cherries-Picking-25.JPG

gr45_13.jpg

Last edited:

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I visited Hokkaido 8 years ago.
It was a driving trip.
I was there end of May till early June but didn't get to see the lavendar :(.

Yes, it was chilly over there at that time and I remembered I didn't bring enough warm wear and had to buy some over there.

I would like to visit Hokkaido again someday.
Is possible to tour the place using public transport?

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was a driving trip.

Yes, it was chilly over there at that time and I remembered I didn't bring enough warm wear and had to buy some over there.

public transport is possible but hard n quite time consuming.

nemo88

Reaction score
Summer in Hokkaido is fantastic. I work for a Eurocentric dept so mid-July onwards things slow down and I can easily take holiday without worrying about meetings or big events being scheduled during euro summer. But that time frame is too hot for a relaxing holiday almost everywhere in Asia. Hokkaido is my go to because the weather is fantastic and as long as you go before end July when local school holidays get into full swing (as with China), is a perfect period since Also a slow holiday period for SG....

kikomi

Reaction score
It was a driving trip.

Public transport is possible but note that it won't be as extensive or as frequent as in Honshu.

I've been to Hokkaido twice, in summer (for lavender) and in winter (for powder snow). Love both trips and Hokkaido is my favourite region (I've also explored Kyushu, Chubu, Kanto and Tohoku). Just need to do more research into planes, trains, buses or even cycling options (e.g. when exploring Furano in summer). It's best if you know a bit of Japanese so you can find more research online.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Public transport is possible but note that it won't be as extensive or as frequent as in Honshu.

I've been to Hokkaido twice, in summer (for lavender) and in winter (for powder snow). Love both trips and Hokkaido is my favourite region (I've also explored Kyushu, Chubu, Kanto and Tohoku). Just need to do more research into planes, trains, buses or even cycling options (e.g. when exploring Furano in summer). It's best if you know a bit of Japanese so you can find more research online.

How did you travel in Hokkaido during winter?

thwysg

Reaction score
How did you travel in Hokkaido during winter?

Do your research on public transport if you don’t intend to drive in winter. It’s not that hard if you’re well prepared. I spent 12D in Hokkaido this Feb, using public transport only.

Ghostrider

Reaction score
Going Sapporo in mid sept . Wonder flower viewing still available in mid sept at Furano and biei area?
Planning to drive to Furano and Biei to view .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.