Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ask oceanicmanta in the following thread
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/japan-271/hokkaido-car-rental-5591963.html#post115694075

hihi..
would be travelling to Hokkaido & renting a car as we are with young kids..
but not sure which rental company should i go for?
I tried searching through Tocoo however they have alot of costs like
T.A.S.(Compensate for N.O.C & Towing Fee) which is $1,350 per day
ETC rental 324 yen/day
etc
Tried Jalan.net seems ok but during the account registration they need a Japanese name. not sure if they are strict about the name if it does not tally with the driver's name as i tried to convert my name but its not totally the same. Any idea?

Thanks!!

Dreaming

Reaction score
see e left side of e pic where e officers are? u have to show them yr shinkansen ticket n JR pass. for any other normal JR station, no ticket but still have to show them JR pass.

If i'm not buying JR pass and traveling from shin-osaka to shinjuku, can i purchase both shinkansen ticket and other JR train ticket at one go at shin-osaka station?

snap99

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i'm not buying JR pass and traveling from shin-osaka to shinjuku, can i purchase both shinkansen ticket and other JR train ticket at one go at shin-osaka station?

yes you can .....

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you are only travelling one way, ie from Osaka to Tokyo, it is not worth to get the 7 Day JR pass as it costs about $150 (one way).
But if you take a return trip ie Osaka to Tokyo to Osaka, then it is worth buying the 7 day JR pass which costs about $344.

Please note that in Tokyo, there are 2 shinkansen stops- Shinagawa station and Tokyo station.
There is no shinkansen stop in Shinjuku.

If you buy one way ticket from Osaka to Tokyo, then in Tokyo itself, you buy the IC card (Pasmo or Suica) which is like our EZ link card. You can then take any train (JR or other trains), using this IC card.

Dreaming

Reaction score
how to check if the train line does not belong JR company?
117474p.png

For example i try this on google map and is the train line have JR icon means it belongs to JR company?

Dreaming

Reaction score
If you are only travelling one way, ie from Osaka to Tokyo, it is not worth to get the 7 Day JR pass as it costs about $150 (one way).
But if you take a return trip ie Osaka to Tokyo to Osaka, then it is worth buying the 7 day JR pass which costs about $344.

Please note that in Tokyo, there are 2 shinkansen stops- Shinagawa station and Tokyo station.
There is no shinkansen stop in Shinjuku.

If you buy one way ticket from Osaka to Tokyo, then in Tokyo itself, you buy the IC card (Pasmo or Suica) which is like our EZ link card. You can then take any train (JR or other trains), using this IC card.
If i'm stopping at shinagawa station? I will get out from there and use Suica card and tap to go in and board other train to shinjuku?

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
how to check if the train line does not belong JR company?
117474p.png

For example i try this on google map and is the train line have JR icon means it belongs to JR company?

Yes.
Got JR icon means JR company.

If you are in a JR train and have to change to a non JR train, you will have to exit the JR station (if using JR pass, then show the train master ur pass to exit. If not using JR pass, then tap out of the JR station). Then you will need to tap in using the IC card to enter the other train company's platform.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i'm stopping at shinagawa station? I will get out from there and use Suica card and tap to go in and board other train to shinjuku?

If you buy a one way shinkansen ticket from Osaka to Tokyo and you get off at Shinagawa station, yes, you will need to exit the shinkansen station at the gantry. Then use the Suica/Pasmo card to enter the station to board the train from Shinagawa to Shinjuku.

Dreaming

Reaction score
If you buy a one way shinkansen ticket from Osaka to Tokyo and you get off at Shinagawa station, yes, you will need to exit the shinkansen station at the gantry. Then use the Suica/Pasmo card to enter the station to board the train from Shinagawa to Shinjuku.
Suica/Pasmo card can be used for all types of train company trains in osaka and tokyo?

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Suica/Pasmo card can be used for all types of train in osaka and tokyo?

Yes.
You can use Suica/Pasmo card within Tokyo and Osaka respectively on trains and buses on the public transportation.

It is like our EZ link card.

Dreaming

Reaction score
Yes.
You can use Suica/Pasmo card within Tokyo and Osaka respectively on trains and buses on the public transportation.

It is like our EZ link card.

I read that there are certain types of train that cannot use Suica/Pasmo card. Example shinkansen.. how about limited express train?

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read that there are certain types of train that cannot use Suica/Pasmo card. Example shinkansen.. how about limited express train?

That's why I used the word "respectively".
Meaning u can use the IC (pasmo and suica) within Tokyo itself and Osaka itself.

The website said that until recently IC card cannot be used on shinkansen.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

But I suppose you won't wanna top up $150 on ur IC card just to take the shinkansen.
I would rather buy a separate shinkansen ticket.

Private limited express trains eg Spacia train to Nikko do not accept IC card.
You have to buy a pass separately for that.

As for all these fine details, you will know when you have a definitive plan on what you wanna do.
Don't worry too much.
When you are there, you will be able to understand the system better.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

limited express trains are fine. They are just trains that run on specific time. Those train skips serveral stops and only stops at prominent stations, so u reach your destination a bit faster.But be careful, need to check if the limited express train got stop at your stop or not.

For shinkansen, u will usually buy a reserved ticket from the ticket office.

From my experience, almost all public transports (subway/ bus/ airport limo/ trams) accept Suica/Pasmo. Anyway, once u reach there, you should be fine. At most can just ask the train staff. they are very helpful.

Last edited:

kenne79

Reaction score
Will be doing a self drive in dec. from nozawaonsen to tokyo.

Any good suggestion for stops.

Was thinking Gunma safari park, but scare it would be too rush.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard that Tsukiji market will be shifting to a new location in 2018. Is it only the inner market whereby
the auction action is at? Outer market with food will still remain at whr it is currently?

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard that Tsukiji market will be shifting to a new location in 2018. Is it only the inner market whereby
the auction action is at? Outer market with food will still remain at whr it is currently?

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

Tsukiji's inner market is scheduled to close on October 6, 2018, followed by the move of businesses from October 7 to 10, and the opening of Toyosu Market on October 11. Afterwards, Tsukiji's inner market will be torn down, and a new market is proposed to be built in its place sometime after the 2020 Olympics. Tsukiji's popular outer market with its many restaurants and numerous retail shops will remain in business beyond October 2018.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3021.html

Tsukiji's inner market is scheduled to close on October 6, 2018, followed by the move of businesses from October 7 to 10, and the opening of Toyosu Market on October 11. Afterwards, Tsukiji's inner market will be torn down, and a new market is proposed to be built in its place sometime after the 2020 Olympics. Tsukiji's popular outer market with its many restaurants and numerous retail shops will remain in business beyond October 2018.

means outer market still around..

Dreaming

Reaction score
Has anyone here use luggage delivery from hotel to hotel before? If i'm staying in Osaka and would like the luggage to be delivered to Tokyo.

I can ask the hotel i'm staying at to assist me about luggage delivery service?

How will the other hotel that is receiving the luggage knows that it's from their customer?

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here use luggage delivery from hotel to hotel before? If i'm staying in Osaka and would like the luggage to be delivered to Tokyo.

I can ask the hotel i'm staying at to assist me about luggage delivery service?

How will the other hotel that is receiving the luggage knows that it's from their customer?

I used it all the time. How the other hotel knows , I dunno. But I always get my suitcase back in it's original condition at the destination.

Just go to the hotel front desk, say u want to TaQbin the suitcase, they will do the paper work. They will check the rate for u at u just pay the hotel.

The delivery is usually by next day, and u need to bring it down in the morning. so u need to plan on which suitcase to deliver and what to hand carry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.