Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hutkahn

Reaction score
Where toto get the best prices for JR pass? Looking at HIS now. Japan-rail-pass.com has cheaper rates but is there any catch? If they charge in another currency and convert again then the price may not be too different from travel agents here...

Also, anyone has any experience getting discounts when buying more than 1 Jr pass at the same time?

Sent from using GAGT

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! after some consideration, decided to take the shinkansen even though its more expensive, dislike the idea of changing train here and there.

May i also ask if there are Hikari service from Shin-Osaka to Shinagawa? i tried Hyperdia and it says Kodama. i am using JR Pass so unable to take Nozomi.

try searching again and uncheck the box for "NOZOMI / MIZUHO / HAYABUSA (SHINKANSEN)".
I got results for both Hikari and Kodama. anyway, u can use JR pass for both Hikari and Kodama. only nozomi/mizuho/hayabusa cannot.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where toto get the best prices for JR pass? Looking at HIS now. Japan-rail-pass.com has cheaper rates but is there any catch? If they charge in another currency and convert again then the price may not be too different from travel agents here...

Also, anyone has any experience getting discounts when buying more than 1 Jr pass at the same time?

Sent from using GAGT

JR pass price is fixed at 29110yen for the 7-day version. the only difference is the exchange rate used by different seller. u all have to call up and check the price on the day itself.

the good thing about HIS is that they accept payment in yen. so if u managed to get a good rate at the money changer, then HIS will be good.

dun think there is a discount for buying more than 1. u can try asking if there is discount for paying in cash instead of credit card.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I'm just staying in osaka and Kyoto. I assume I don't have to get any passes? not worth getting Jr pass right?

Sent from bored hole using GAGT

not worth getting the 7-day JR pass.
but u can consider getting the 1-day bus pass for getting around Kyoto.
there is also 1 or 2-day passes for Osaka which may be worth it depending on where u are going
and if u are head from KIX to Kyoto, u can consider getting the ICOCA+Haruka package

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Where toto get the best prices for JR pass? Looking at HIS now. Japan-rail-pass.com has cheaper rates but is there any catch?

japan rail pass website can charge in the currency of your country, in this case, SGD i.e. what is reflected is what you pay.

the catch is that there is minimum purchase of S$750 (= three 7-day JRP) for free courier. else it's S$23 i think.

taokayTeo

Reaction score
tips guys, i'm going to be in tokyo for 7 days. only tokyo area. should i purchase the suica card and top up? or any cheaper alternative?

i will be travelling at most 2 to 3 places in 1 day. if not 1 area for a day.

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tips guys, i'm going to be in tokyo for 7 days. only tokyo area. should i purchase the suica card and top up? or any cheaper alternative?

Depends on where you stay and if you plan your trip well, you can consider the 1 day or 2 days metro pass. Will not save you too much though. Only applicable on the metro line.

cormet

Reaction score
Trying to sort out my Tokyo + Hokkaido itinerary for end oct to early nov. Roughly planning 3N Tokyo (just for Fuji, Disney and shopping), and about 10N Hokkaido self-drive.

For my self-drive, don't intend to drive in Sapporo city itself. Should I do a loop from Hakodate to Sapporo or the other way round? The places I intend to visit in between are Otaru (day trip from Sapporo), Furano, Biei,Asahikawa, Abashiri, Kushiro, Noboribetsu, Lake Toya, Hakodate. Did I miss town for autumn foliage, and any I should remove that is not so appropriate for autumn?

Thanks!

bump for my question!

jes205

Reaction score

if you are only taking metro, at airport (for tourist only), can buy 2 or 3 day metro pass at 1200 yen and 1500yen. very worthwhile if you use metro often.

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
if you are only taking metro, at airport (for tourist only), can buy 2 or 3 day metro pass at 1200 yen and 1500yen. very worthwhile if you use metro often.

Is the Rinkai line included in the metro?

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
I will be arriving in Tokyo on the 29 April, I'm planning to visit Hakone on the 4th May (1 day only). Can I buy the Hakone 2 days freepass & romance car ticket when I arrive on the first day?

I will be going to Hakone Yumoto -> Gora -> Souzan -> Owakudani -> Togendai (to take pirate ship) -> Hakone Shrine -> Gotemba Premium Outlets -> Shinjuku.

To get to Hakone Shrine, do I get off at Moto-Hakone or Mochi-Hakone?
How do I get to Gotemba Premium Outlets from Hakone Shrine and back to Shinjuku?

ThankS! :s13:
Well based on my last two days in hakone, one day might not be enough if u are going to gotemba premium and take the cruise and rope way/cable car. There was a long queue for cable car on Thursday and I went straight for the cruise after arriving hakone at 1pm ish. From there I took the cable car to the black egg place then went down to gora.There is a last timing for cruise and cable car around 5 ish. Then yst I went gotemba and the bus timing was horrible in the morning - one bus per hour. I suggest u check up the timing of the buses cruises etc when planning ur trip.

Oh yeah the queue for the hakone free pass seemed to be very long at the tourist centre at shinjuku. So u might want to go 30 mins earlier if u are buying the pass in the morning

Last edited:

wissdream

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going on my first trip in japan for 8 days in May alone, will be touring in tokyo only.
Staying at ibis shinjuku

Few questions to ask
1. Must go places for 1st timers? So I can include in my itinerary.
2. Do I need to buy the something like ezlink card for my transport?
3. As staying in shinjuku, my friends told me there's red light district there, how do i avoid those places? (Female traveller)
4. Is Disneyland or Disneysea better? Or should i go both?
5. Where is the best place to get a camera there?

TIA!

Last edited:

zhirong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going on my first trip in japan for 8 days in May alone, will be touring in tokyo only.
Staying at ibis shinjuku

Few questions to ask
3. As staying in shinjuku, my friends told me there's red light district there, how do i avoid those places? (Female traveller)

TIA!

1. First timer will probably visit the common sights like meiji shrine, sensoji, tokyo tower, tokyo skytree.

2. Get a suica card from the machines in the station.

3. The place he is refering to is Kabukicho. Tokyo's redlight district is not as messy as you would think. There are a number of izakaya around kabukicho as well.

4. Neither if you are going alone.. But if among the 2 I will prefer Disney sea.

5. I will recommend fujiya in nakano. But if you want those popular ones, there are several BIC around where you can buy from.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Staying at ibis shinjuku

Few questions to ask

TIA!

check out the recommended paths(itinerary)
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/tourists/guideservice/index_guide.html#anc1

Must try Japanese experience:
http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/feature/536/Tokyos-top-onsen

Last edited:

grunt

Reaction score
Osaka to Tokyo

Hi, would like to check the best options to travel from OSAKA to TOKYO. Shinkansen? Since it's a one way, better to do a single trip ticket?

Also in OSAKA, would it be better to get around via above ground trains or metro?

Thx in advance!

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, would like to check the best options to travel from OSAKA to TOKYO. Shinkansen? Since it's a one way, better to do a single trip ticket?

Also in OSAKA, would it be better to get around via above ground trains or metro?

Thx in advance!

Purrato Kodama is one cheaper option.
http://nagoya-info.com/5603/cheap-shinkansen-between-osaka-and-tokyo/
http://www.jrtours.co.jp/kodama/

Willer Express overnighter is another
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus/route/calendar.php?off=1&hkn=30&kns=15&oR=2301001&fR=1301001

Ground or metro is dependent on your destinations. When your destinations have both, then you decide which one is cheaper by using hyperdia. And of course, other factors should also be considered like travel time, number of transfers, timing etc

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.