Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, just want to find out, if im going tokyo only for a short few days like 4 days, will getting a JR pass do me any good? abit confused as to the places JR pass can bring me to, not sure if it can be used on the tokyo metro itself or can only go to places outside of tokyo? or just getting a suica card will do? though i saw that there is this JR kanto pass too, is it worth getting? thanks!

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys, just want to find out, if im going tokyo only for a short few days like 4 days, will getting a JR pass do me any good? abit confused as to the places JR pass can bring me to, not sure if it can be used on the tokyo metro itself or can only go to places outside of tokyo? or just getting a suica card will do? though i saw that there is this JR kanto pass too, is it worth getting? thanks!

JR pass can only be used on JR lines and not on metro or subway lines.
JR passes are only worth it if u are taking long, expensive trips on the shinkansen or ltd express trains. for 4 days, u will probably be travelling within Tokyo city, and the train fare within the city is relatively cheap. so get just a suica will do.

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Uh:eek:
So its those wen quan where you go in naked de uh.
Hmm.. like this have to consider liao.
So go in is only the bath and foot soak is free uh.
Will discuss with my family see if want go.

Good and unique experience, must try. If paiseh, you can go to those smaller sento(bath houses), cheaper, just in case you chicken out half way also wont waste money. But I am sure you can overcome your shyness right after you step into the changing room.

magna_strike

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
JR pass can only be used on JR lines and not on metro or subway lines.
JR passes are only worth it if u are taking long, expensive trips on the shinkansen or ltd express trains. for 4 days, u will probably be travelling within Tokyo city, and the train fare within the city is relatively cheap. so get just a suica will do.

thanks for the info!

acertey

Reaction score
Good and unique experience, must try. If paiseh, you can go to those smaller sento(bath houses), cheaper, just in case you chicken out half way also wont waste money. But I am sure you can overcome your shyness right after you step into the changing room.

Hi bro,

wanted to ask also similar to this, CO give impromptu again. Is there a place where kids can play snow, and there is a ryokan with private osen? Mine is a family of 4, i was wondering around mount fuji?

Vismark

Reaction score

But I going with Family leh, so if I go I will go in with my dad, while my gf will go in with my mum.
Paiseh sia haha, but will consider first cause never went before also.
If they don mind pay that price go in maybe see see and soak leg I'm fine with it too.

joanie_dan

Reaction score
for food u can go Dotonbori.. lots of eateries there including Ichiran.
if u want to buy snacks back, go Ameyoko in Ueno. there is a huge shop there that sells all the Japanese tidbits such as crackers and nuts

ueno is cheaper? or can the tidbits be found in shinbuya/tokyo station vicinity?

also one side qns, between shinjuku(hotel sunroute) vs tokyo station(ryumeikan) where both hotels are near the station, which area has more eateries so that in the event if need to grab a bite late at night, still got choices.

still havent really decided which area to stay but have booked both hotels(free cancellation)

tks.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ueno is cheaper? or can the tidbits be found in shinbuya/tokyo station vicinity?

also one side qns, between shinjuku(hotel sunroute) vs tokyo station(ryumeikan) where both hotels are near the station, which area has more eateries so that in the event if need to grab a bite late at night, still got choices.

still havent really decided which area to stay but have booked both hotels(free cancellation)

tks.

if I am not wrong, most of the things are same price or cheaper than other places. and also it is a huge shop selling all the common snacks, so one shot buy everything from there for convenience.

Shinjuku probably have more eateries coz it is a shopping district with lots of malls. Tokyo station is office area, but it has a huge underground mall at the station and quite a number of malls ard the area also. one station from Tokyo station is Yurakucho, which has a restaurant district under the JR tracks

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything interesting at nihonbashi? Marunochi can see those old buildings, anything else? Going to that area for dinner and stroll around after I check-in hotel. Will start at either Kanda or Tokyo then walk over.

eevee11

Reaction score
Doing last min trip to Tokyo and hence need all the advice I can get in the shortest possible time so apologies if I'm asking questions that might have been discussed previously.

Hakone
I was recommended to do Hakone for a day trip and Was told I can take Romance Car from Shinjuku to Hakone. I do have a few questions thou.

1. Can anyone advise where should I take the Romance car in Shinjuku?
2. What are the must see/do in Hakone? Is it difficult to move around in Hakone itself? Or should I just buy the Hakone freepass?

Suggested Itinerary

18 Sep (Fri) Arrive narita airport at around 4pm. Walk around Shinjuku / Shibuya / Ginza
19 Sep (Sat) Tsukiji Mkt / Ginza area / Shinjuku or Shibuya area
20 Sep (Sun) Shinjuku / Shibuya / Harajuku / Meiji Shrine
21 Sep (Mon) Day Trip to Mt Fuji / Hakone Area
22 Sep (Tue) Asakusa area / Sensoji Temple / Tokyo Skytree / Ueno
23 Sep (Wed) Akibahara / Odaiba before going to airport at 3pm

Does this itinerary makes sense? Will it be possible to squeeze in the nissin cup museum at Yokohama?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But I going with Family leh, so if I go I will go in with my dad, while my gf will go in with my mum.
If they don mind pay that price go in maybe see see and soak leg I'm fine with it too.

I agree, the embarrassment is with someone you know, not strangers.You can overcome it by taking turns to go in. bro, don't let embarrassment stop you. Must go for at least one. But once you overcome the first one, you will want to go for more. :s13:

If lack of time and must go in at the same time, then choose those large onsen like the one at Odaiba, you can actually get lost inside and wont get to bump into someone you know. But I encourage you to at least go in with your dad, bonding in the buff is something you will treasure.

BTW, don't waste money if you plan to go in soak leg only as the first thing you will do is undress. The only piece of cloth u allow to carry inside is a small face towel(bring your own). And there are lots of free leg onsen around, so don't pay to soak legs only. My 2c.

Vismark

Reaction score
I agree, the embarrassment is with someone you know, not strangers.You can overcome it by taking turns to go in. bro, don't let embarrassment stop you. Must go for at least one. But once you overcome the first one, you will want to go for more. :s13:

If lack of time and must go in at the same time, then choose those large onsen like the one at Odaiba, you can actually get lost inside and wont get to bump into someone you know. But I encourage you to at least go in with your dad, bonding in the buff is something you will treasure.

BTW, don't waste money if you plan to go in soak leg only as the first thing you will do is undress. The only piece of cloth u allow to carry inside is a small face towel(bring your own). And there are lots of free leg onsen around, so don't pay to soak legs only. My 2c.

Exactly! Is pai seh when with someone you know and not a stranger. Haha

Uh, so even soak leg only need to be undress too ar?
Hmm.. like this must think think liao. Is want to go in see see but price abit high, if not using those onsen or what.

Last edited:

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Haha ya lor is pai seh when with someone you know and not stranger.

Uh, so even soak leg only need to be undress too ar?
Hmm.. like this must think think liao. Is want to go in see see but price abit high, if not using those onsen or what.

Or sento lo, less than 500 yen. But it's just a public bath & same naked requirement like onsen.

Or during your family doing something else like shopping, you can go to a nearby sento/onsen. That's what I did. My travelling mates didn't like it though they have tried once, but I got hooked so whenever they go shopping and doing anything I don't like, i'd google or asked about neighborhood sento/onse for a dip. It killed times and soothe my tired body, 1 stone 2 birds.

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Doing last min trip to Tokyo and hence need all the advice I can get in the shortest possible time so apologies if I'm asking questions that might have been discussed previously.

Hakone
I was recommended to do Hakone for a day trip and Was told I can take Romance Car from Shinjuku to Hakone. I do have a few questions thou.

1. Can anyone advise where should I take the Romance car in Shinjuku?
2. What are the must see/do in Hakone? Is it difficult to move around in Hakone itself? Or should I just buy the Hakone freepass?

Suggested Itinerary

18 Sep (Fri) Arrive narita airport at around 4pm. Walk around Shinjuku / Shibuya / Ginza
19 Sep (Sat) Tsukiji Mkt / Ginza area / Shinjuku or Shibuya area
20 Sep (Sun) Shinjuku / Shibuya / Harajuku / Meiji Shrine
21 Sep (Mon) Day Trip to Mt Fuji / Hakone Area
22 Sep (Tue) Asakusa area / Sensoji Temple / Tokyo Skytree / Ueno
23 Sep (Wed) Akibahara / Odaiba before going to airport at 3pm

Does this itinerary makes sense? Will it be possible to squeeze in the nissin cup museum at Yokohama?

1. romance car is the name of the limited express train to hakone. as with other train, just follow the signs to the correct platform for the train.
http://www.odakyu.jp/english/romancecar/

2. certain area is current closed due to seismic activities. for the other places, u can calculate and see if getting the hakone free pass is worth it
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html#section_whatToSee

ur itinerary looks a bit packed on some days.
18 sep: by the time u clear customs, get to Tokyo and check-in hotel, it is probably dinner time. so u dun have much time to explore so many places. just stick to ur hotel area
21 sep: mt Fuji and hakone within a day is too rush. either stay a night at hakone, or just skip mt Fuji. hakone will give u a good view of mt Fuji already.
23 sep: if ur flight is at 3pm, u will need to leave for airport before noon coz it takes about 1hr to get from Tokyo to narita. u wun have time to go akiba and odaiba. shops in akiba usually opens only at 11am, so u cant go too early also.

Nanako1

Reaction score

i going Kyoto and Tokyo next week with my cousin. She also pai seh to go try onsen so I might go alone since wan experience at least once. Maybe you can jus go with ur GF la, then plan other activities for your parents to do. Haha

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i going Kyoto and Tokyo next week with my cousin. She also pai seh to go try onsen so I might go alone since wan experience at least once. Maybe you can jus go with ur GF la, then plan other activities for your parents to do. Haha
takes turn to go in, this works.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anything interesting at nihonbashi? Marunochi can see those old buildings, anything else? Going to that area for dinner and stroll around after I check-in hotel. Will start at either Kanda or Tokyo then walk over.

I like international forum building when it's lighted up at night.

acertey

Reaction score
Hi bro,

wanted to ask also similar to this, CO give impromptu again. Is there a place where kids can play snow, and there is a ryokan with private osen? Mine is a family of 4, i was wondering around mount fuji?

Sorry about this, would appreciate any recommendations. CO was considering Hakone?

acertey

Reaction score
Hi bro, sorry about that.

I will be leaving Singapore 6th dec, and would be there for about 2 weeks.

Initial plan was to stay in tokyo for 3-4 days then travel to osaka, kyoto for 3 days, Ryokan for 1 night and then back to Tokyo... :s13:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.