Ask me any questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kifo cpuer so I should (barring any delays, and as long as I pre familiarize with the station layout) be able to buy an ekiben from one of the stores past the Shinkansen gate or on the Shinkansen platform ... will play it by ear :)

Thanks!!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ

Now to worry about my shoes since the weather's gone cold again. Ordered a cheap $30 boot from lazada at the beginning of the month but seems like it won't arrive in time ORZ

Not too sure if I should be going all over nozawa onsen and monkey park wearing onizuka Tigers lol

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kifo cpuer so I should (barring any delays, and as long as I pre familiarize with the station layout) be able to buy an ekiben from one of the stores past the Shinkansen gate or on the Shinkansen platform ... will play it by ear :)

Thanks!!! ��������������������

Now to worry about my shoes since the weather's gone cold again. Ordered a cheap $30 boot from lazada at the beginning of the month but seems like it won't arrive in time ORZ

Not too sure if I should be going all over nozawa onsen and monkey park wearing onizuka Tigers lol

how about getting bento on the shinkansen itself? but selections will be a lot lesser. price wise it is about the same as those sold at the station.

get thick woollen socks. shoes alone may not be enuf if it is snowing.

arhjaye

Reaction score

Onitsuka tiger shoes are quite slipperly there (tried and tested :p) Do take extra care walking cause its pretty much up/down slope all the time in Nozawa onsen and there isn't proper walking pavements in most areas. Vehicles and us are sharing lanes.

Last edited:

Nalgene123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys/gals,

On Monday I'm taking this journey:

22min connection should be pretty reasonable. But ... am I right in assuming that there wouldn't be enough time to go hunt down an ekiben shop, choose a bento, pay for it, and still navigate to the shinkansen terminal on time?

Cos it's around dinner time, scared hungry leh. Better to just order something on the 2nd train?

plz note that Narita Express Services are all by reservation...there's no free seating...especially if you are using any rail pass....

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks!!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฟ

might be worth it to order a shoe spikes attachment on amazon and send it to your hotel...

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=lp_20...415051&ie=UTF8&qid=1453873567&rnid=2032415051

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Onitsuka tiger shoes are quite slipperly there (tried and tested :p) Do take extra care walking cause its pretty much up/down slope all the time in Nozawa onsen and there isn't proper walking pavements in most areas. Vehicles and us are sharing lanes.

talked that, i am regretting buying one here, damned slippery on anything that is slightly smooth & wet. I guess that's why its on sales :(

arhjaye

Reaction score
talked that, i am regretting buying one here, damned slippery on anything that is slightly smooth & wet. I guess that's why its on sales :(

So true. But comfort wise full leather onitsuka still the most comfortable for me. Where did you get yours? Mine just uplorry few weeks ago, looking get a new pair

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So true. But comfort wise full leather onitsuka still the most comfortable for me. Where did you get yours? Mine just uplorry few weeks ago, looking get a new pair
Got mine from Sportslink:)

hongwei8

Reaction score
I am planning a trip, total 4 of us will be flying.

Reach Narita 23rd Mar, Apr 1 reach Osaka, Back to sg on Apr 8.

I am wondering what would be good options for travelling from narita to tokyo -1 way- and then from tokyo to osaka -also 1 way-?

Thanks in advance!

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
evilerniex Nalgene123 kifo Kamsiah. Trip is on monday liao so I dunno if the spikes will arrive on time if I buy on Amazon. Think I'll just wing it when I arrive -- anyway only planning 2 full ski'ing days in nozawa onsen and then 3rd day off to Tokyo.

Flight arrives in NRT at 2.55pm so I could potentially catch the 4.19, 4.44, or 5.15pm N-EX'es before getting on the 6.40pm shinkansen to nagano/iiyama - if can catch earlier train then I go buy better ekiben, otherwise just on the shinkansen platform or train itself ba.

Thanks!

Nalgene123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
evilerniex Nalgene123 kifo Kamsiah. Trip is on monday liao so I dunno if the spikes will arrive on time if I buy on Amazon. Think I'll just wing it when I arrive -- anyway only planning 2 full ski'ing days in nozawa onsen and then 3rd day off to Tokyo.

Flight arrives in NRT at 2.55pm so I could potentially catch the 4.19, 4.44, or 5.15pm N-EX'es before getting on the 6.40pm shinkansen to nagano/iiyama - if can catch earlier train then I go buy better ekiben, otherwise just on the shinkansen platform or train itself ba.

Thanks!

its actually not that bad when walking on ice...you won't fall as much if you just pay attention to your footing even without wearing spikes or snow boots

For Ekiben...there's one shop located directly outside the ticket gate of the Tokyo Shinkansen tracks....and further outside..there's a food hall that's catered for takeaways....so there's definitely enough choices even if you are in a hurry..and as mentioned....you can also get it at the platform..the ekiben selections should roughly be the same...

24028297984_48816415e7_b.jpg

Last edited:

chaotah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
its actually not that bad when walking on ice...you won't fall as much if you just pay attention to your footing even without wearing spikes or snow boots

For Ekiben...there's one shop located directly outside the ticket gate of the Tokyo Shinkansen tracks....and further outside..there's a food hall that's catered for takeaways....so there's definitely enough choices even if you are in a hurry..and as mentioned....you can also get it at the platform..the ekiben selections should roughly be the same...

24028297984_48816415e7_b.jpg

In general, ekiben are ranked in below order :s13:

Outside Platform > On Platform > On trains

Nalgene123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In general, ekiben are ranked in below order :s13:

Outside Platform > On Platform > On trains

Okay...thanks for the info....but from memory...I actually could remember that the stores outside and on the platform were selling the same thing pretty mych

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am planning a trip, total 4 of us will be flying.

Reach Narita 23rd Mar, Apr 1 reach Osaka, Back to sg on Apr 8.

I am wondering what would be good options for travelling from narita to tokyo -1 way- and then from tokyo to osaka -also 1 way-?

Thanks in advance!

u can refer to these
Narita to Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2027.html

Tokyo to Osaka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

for narita to Tokyo, it depends on where u are staying in Tokyo. if u are staying in ueno or asakusa, then Keisei line will be more convenient. for Shinjuku, shinagawa etc, then narita express is good.

for Tokyo to Osaka, u can take the overnight willer bus if u want to save money. much cheaper than shinkansen, and u also save a night of accommodation. but if u cant sleep on such buses, then it is going to be tiring for u the next day.
shinkansen is the most convenient but is also the most expensive. about 14000yen

kifo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

if you want to order online on amazon, almost everything sold directly by amazon can arrive within one to two days... it is that instant in japan (unless you live in okinawa)

or else you can try buying it from a combini, just that you have lesser choice... and may not have your size.

a set of spikes for your shoes is a useful thing if you often go on winter holidays... so it is not wasteful at all

trojanguy

Reaction score
Hi Got a question,

we will be going to japan to tokyo + kyoto, on 17 march to 26 .

is it cold during those times? do we need wear cold wear or a light jacket will do?

chickenmedium

Reaction score
hi guys, what would be the rail pass to buy, if any, if i were to spend a week in tokyo only? the JR Tokyo wide pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.